Boal Street Bombing

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: Boal Street Bombing

Postby mitch in notts » 26 Sep 2012, 19:31

I can't find a death for him either Joan. I've also checked 192.com and can't see him on recent electoral rolls.
Wonder if he and wife could have emigrated?

On the other hand....

Deaths...

Patricia Florence THURLOW born 26 Nov 1923, death registered at King's Lynn in January 2005.

Is a good possibility.

Especially now I've found them on 192.com at King's Lynn 2002-2005.

So he DID survive the war!
Last edited by mitch in notts on 26 Sep 2012, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
mitch in notts

Postby lincslad1 » 26 Sep 2012, 19:33

I dont know the details,but if he was 18 in 1941 would he not have ben called up for war service and could have been away training or overseas maybe.
Just a thought
Pat
lincslad1

Postby mitch in notts » 26 Sep 2012, 19:41

The Lynn News online has an acknowledgement notice for a George Thurlow on the 1st February 2008. But no age is given etc.

I can confirm it is probably him as I have just checked his daughters name from the notice against the GRO Birth Index.
mitch in notts

Postby wallywombat » 26 Sep 2012, 22:04

According to Ray Wilsons book "The Bombing of King's Lynn 1939-1942" in it Warden Hart's report says of the bombing of No1 Boal Street, Arthur Thurlow was killed and his son George was hauled out of the debris slightly injured.
Christmas Thurlow died earlier in 1938 and Esther in 1922.
According to the book at the time of writing c1985 George was employed at the Norfolk College of Arts And Technology, so as the saying goes, news of his death was greatly exaggerated!!.
NORMAL FOR NORFOLK
wallywombat

Postby EWW » 26 Sep 2012, 22:19

Sorry my mistake on the deaths in the bombing raid. Just have Arthur dying 1941
at 1 Boal street, and the others on the dates supplied by WallyW. Looked down
the lists and just noted who died at the address and not the dates. :?
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby thrupence » 27 Sep 2012, 12:42

:smt117 :smt117
wallywombat wrote:According to Ray Wilsons book "The Bombing of King's Lynn 1939-1942" in it Warden Hart's report says of the bombing of No1 Boal Street, Arthur Thurlow was killed and his son George was hauled out of the debris slightly injured.
Christmas Thurlow died earlier in 1938 and Esther in 1922.
According to the book at the time of writing c1985 George was employed at the Norfolk College of Arts And Technology, so as the saying goes, news of his death was greatly exaggerated!!.

Hi Wallywombat
I am so absolutely thrilled at your discovery. How on earth did you discover this snippet of news within Ray Wilson's book - I absolutely applaud you on finding this illusive info and you have put to rest a lingering puzzle in my Family Tree. Back in 2008 I had just put George's death as the same date as his father George, being misled by the Commemoration wording sent to me by somebody on this Forum. It was only recently that I was 'tidying-up' a few loose ends and saw that I had no documated evidence of a death for him in 1941. Teddybear 1959 recommended me to Wilson's book in 2008 and I regret that I did not take up his recommendation - I am now almost home-bound in a wheelchair but that is no excuse for not asking help from somebody else to get a copy sent to my local library.
Thank you, thank you, thank you - I think you get the gratification I feel after reading your post - I hope you also feel the same knowing you have helped solve this extraordinary mystery. :smt117
Thrupence
thrupence

Postby thrupence » 27 Sep 2012, 12:57

re: George Thurlow of Boal Street
To ALL those who have sent information regarding the mysterious death of George Thurlow, son of Arthur Thurlow, who was apparently killed in the Boal Street Bombing in 1941. Wallywombat has finally put the story to bed with the amazing discovery that George was pulled out of the rubble alive! He went on to marry, have at least one daughter and died in 2008.
I had felt like this :smt056 for so long!

Thank you All, especially: Teddybear 1959; EWW; mitch in notts; Little Old Boy; linsclad1; etc.
Thrupence
thrupence

Postby thrupence » 27 Sep 2012, 14:36

mitch in notts wrote:The Lynn News online has an acknowledgement notice for a George Thurlow on the 1st February 2008. But no age is given etc.

I can confirm it is probably him as I have just checked his daughters name from the notice against the GRO Birth Index.

I'll be in touch but first I'll see if I can find this, No doubt you've read all the other posts and have seen that the mystery of George is solved - he was pulled out of th rubble so that Commemoration was wrong and misled me all this time!

:smt086 Let the band play!

Joan
Thrupence
thrupence

Postby s.howard82 » 12 May 2020, 17:24

Arthur Thurlows son Ronald James Thurlow is on this photo which was posted by Ev .

s.howard82

Previous

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY