FEVER HOSPITAL

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: FEVER HOSPITAL

Postby EWW » 02 Dec 2010, 16:48

Yes thats the one talked about in ealier posts Lorri, it is ringed on the map posted.
My father-in-law Dennis Stanley was in there at one time with TB and then he went
to Kelling on the coast.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Uncled8249 » 02 Dec 2010, 16:50

Hi Lorri, did you know any of the people in my photographs?
Ed
Uncled8249

Postby Heather » 03 Aug 2011, 12:12

Hi Lorri
What years did you train at lynn? I trained there in the 50s qualifying 1959
Heather

Postby Heather » 03 Aug 2011, 12:25

That picture of Tony Lennon brought back loads of memories, one particular one was we were on night duty at Hardwick and I was specialing a baby at what we called the bottom end which was the older part of the hospital and Tony was on duty up the top end
I was terrified and the slightest noise really spooked me And I rang the bell like mad and Tony came charging down with a great big stick but it was just the wind
Happy days
Heather

Postby David Riches » 04 Aug 2011, 22:28

Is this it?

David Riches

Children's Hospital

Postby Mouse » 06 Sep 2011, 09:48

Hi

Please does anyone know if there was ever an old childrens hospital on the Horsley Fields site at hardwick?
Proud to be a Norfolk Dumpling
http://www.kingslynnonline.com
Mouse

Re: Children's Hospital

Postby bryemycaz » 06 Sep 2011, 09:57

Not sure if it was childrens hospital, there was a fever hospital.
bryemycaz

Re: Children's Hospital

Postby Spanner » 06 Sep 2011, 21:38

Yes the hospital at Hardwick road at one time was a fever hospital or the isolation hospital then it became the chest hospital, people who had lung cancer would be sent to this hosiptal Mr Beard the surgeon from Kelling chest Hospital Nr Holt would visit each week to see patients before and after he operated on them, they would nurse these people at the Hardwick Road, it was part of the main hospital on London Road, I know it well my father spent time at this hospital before and after Mr Beard removed my fathers lung at Kelling, and after nine years my father died at Hardwick Rd Hospital, Mr Beard was a small man white hair a clever surgeon he was part of the team that operated on the late King for lung cancer.
Spanner

Postby thaberland » 07 Sep 2011, 14:55

:D I also know that hospital I spent a week or so in there with Scarlet fever in the 5o's :( :(
thaberland

Postby Mouse » 07 Sep 2011, 19:11

Thanks for all the help, I have sent a link to this topic to the lady that asked about it so hopefully she will be really pleased. :D
Proud to be a Norfolk Dumpling
http://www.kingslynnonline.com
Mouse

Postby Spanner » 11 Sep 2011, 17:53

can anyone give additional information and remember Mr Beard the surgeon who lived at Kelling in a large house next to the sanatorium hósiptal next to Holt, many people must remember him in those days he would operate on lung cancer people from the King's Lynn area, he would visit Hardwick Road hosiptal on a Thursday to examine new patients and check old patients.old patients would visit first the main hospital on London Road for a e-ray and then go on to Hardwick Road to see Mr Beard.
If he was able to operate they would be removed to Kelling to be made ready for the surgery it was a long operation and he would only complete 2 a day.
many people from our area would be in Kelling under his care and the bus company would run a bus from King's Lynn to Kelling on a Sunday afternoon and Mr Beard would see the relatives on the Sunday afternoon to give them a report on love ones progress or the other. when he sent for my mother and me I asked him if smoking was harmful and he did not reply but looked at me and placed in front of me 2 jars one with a smokers lung inside and the other a lung with a non smokers lung inside at this time I was smoking 20 cigs a day I walked from his office and I have never had a cigarette in my mouth and this was over 50 years ago this meeting and the 2 jars frightened me so much I lost all desire to smook again.
When he operated on my father to remove a complete lung my father remembered My Beard the first night standing by his bed side at 4am he had walked over from his house to check on him such dedication and care.
When my father was able he was returned to Hardwick Road and during his nine years of life he spent several periods in Hardwick Road under Mr Beard care.
Spanner

Postby bryemycaz » 11 Sep 2011, 21:30

My Aunt will be back down at Kings Lynn in the next few weeks. She spent a few weeks at Kelling during the 1950s. Ill have to ask her if she remebers Mr Beard.
bryemycaz

Postby Heather » 14 Sep 2011, 12:00

Thanks for the memory jerk I was a student nurse at kings lynn in the 50s and had forgotten about Mr beard He was a lovely dedicated man
Heather

Postby suzook12 » 28 Feb 2018, 23:02

I also came across the isolation hospital marked on a 1906 map

From what I can make out it was here...

There is also St Andrews Rd just above, wondering if this is coincidental or not as the footprint looks church like although in previous comments this was a wooden building. Apart from this thread I've not found anything about it as yet.
Steve
suzook12

Postby EWW » 28 Feb 2018, 23:19

The map showing the iso hospital is on page three of the thread but nice to see the thread pulled up again. Threads are never deleted for that reason.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY