St. Ann's Street

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Postby EWW » 15 Jun 2007, 09:42

They had the shop bit, then a workshop/warehouse type place ajoining.
Where the new flats are now.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby bill » 15 Jun 2007, 19:53

mr porter lived at 10 pleasant row,next to where i first bought my house for £100 in 1962
billJ
bill

Postby delbert » 17 Jun 2007, 10:59

hi in mivs list

20 Bristow & Copley Ltd. timber merchants
Skinner Jn. & Sons, metal merchants (yard)

where in ship lane (which originally went thro to ships berths on docks,probably one of oldest thoroughfares in lynns northend)

if anyone has any info on this lane ??
:wink:
"go placidly amid the noise and haste"
delbert

NUMBER 7 ST ANNS STREET

Postby roger » 25 Jun 2007, 20:55

NUMBER 7 WAS LARRY SEAMANS(P E TEACHER) FATHER HE WAS A BARBER KNOWN AS SWEENEY TODDS. HE USED THE OLD CUT THROAT RASOR. ROGER
Be up when they lay
roger

Re: St. Ann's Street

Postby verdun1950 » 28 Apr 2015, 17:46

I am responding to the original post from Karen about pictures of St Ann's Street. I am a descendant of the Flanders family who once owned a clay-pipe manufacturing business on this street, going back to about 1802. It was owned by a Robert Flanders, who was born in 1771 in Peterborough, Northamptonshire, where he started this business, and died in 1850 on St Ann's Street.

If you go to Flanders St Ann's Street on this Forum, she will see a few photos of buildings which once stood on this street ... sadly, all razed in the later part of the 1990s however, I am told, that they were around 400 years old by the time they were torn down.

My ancestors, Holdgate, lived on St Ann's Fort Street from 1829 to 1839.

Karen posted her query many years ago so it may not be of any value to her now.

Heather Holdgate
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
verdun1950

Re:

Postby Leigh » 24 Dec 2017, 23:09

EWW wrote:Here is one of a shop in St Annes St for you Karen. I have another
one somewhere when I can dig it out. Humphreys always smelt of
Creosote, tar and oil, and parrafin (loverly)

Frederick Stockdale Humphrey (1869–1952) was a distant cousin of mine, his wife was Rose Alice Young (née Sydal) and her father Richard Jenkyns Sydal's (1837–1900) occupation was 'master mariner' which was probably Fred's connection to becoming a ship's chandler?
Leigh

Postby Appso » 06 Jan 2018, 18:38

Humphreys Ltd. St. Ann's Street, closed, just before demolition, June 1975.

Appso

Postby Appso » 07 Jan 2018, 18:44

Just take a few steps to the right after my previous picture - a clear view across to the Pilot Cinema.

Appso

Postby Leigh » 19 Feb 2018, 03:37

Appso wrote:Humphreys Ltd. St. Ann's Street, closed, just before demolition, June 1975.

Is that the same building as the other sepia photograph above of F S Humphreys shop?
Leigh

Postby suzook12 » 19 Feb 2018, 20:48

Looking at the eaves I would say no. With the proximity of the tree I would guess next to the churchyard?
suzook12

Postby EWW » 19 Feb 2018, 21:10

Humphrey's was next to the Churchyard and the trees only came down a very few years ago.I think the original Humphrey's was
altered when they built St Anne's Mansions above it. My mate Paul Lake(you can see him in the ACTIVITY boat thread) lived in
the Mansions next door to Larry Seaman our old teacher at Gaywood Park School. Larry always made sure Paul got to school
rather than down the Fisher fleet mucking about on the boats. "Mansions" bit misleading as the were full of rats and mice.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 19 Feb 2018, 23:20

So is the set back bit to the right 11a? Makes more sense when seen from Southgates Grocers shop
http://viewfinder.historicengland.org.u ... &form=home
Think I've seen that picture elsewhere on here too.

Just about remember the trees coming down. Spent many happy hours in the Naval too. Wish I'd got pictures of the artwork in there before its unfortunate demise.
suzook12

Postby EWW » 19 Feb 2018, 23:29

Yes I would like to have the money back I spent in the Naval over the years. Olive and Don were a great Landlord and Landlady. Avril their daughter
sadly gone now was really nice also. As you know the old pub is now part of True's yard and over the ten years I worked at the museum every time I
went in that part I'm sure I could here the old boys playing dommies in the bar. Happy days.
EWW

Postby EWW » 19 Feb 2018, 23:35

In my reverie I forgot to say that that picture is already on the forum along with some others. The setback bit was part of Humphrey's and the
last bit was the opening to Chapel Yard St Annes street that met up with Chapel yard Pilot street. They met behind St Nicks school.
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 20 Feb 2018, 00:32

Yes, I was sure I'd seen that pic on here before but couldn't remember where...

My time in the Naval was just after the final landlord took it over. After a drunken extraction from the Lattice, and a thirst for Newky Brown, Was pointed in the direction of the Naval as the cheapest Newky in town. At the time of closing, it had the end closest to Trues at that time, muraled with stone henge, the opposite end was a stage with some of the greatest guitarists ever and the ceiling was stars and lightning. All done by a lad who was local at that time. My old GPZ11 was often parked next to the anchor outside.....
We used to split our time between there and the Vic which also closed shortly after...

I recal there was a Bridal?Wedding shop oppositee and a hairdressers at what was Southgates Grocers and next door was tattoo's and CB's courtesy of Mick Taylor
suzook12

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY