St. Ann's Street

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

St. Ann's Street

Postby Karen » 14 Jun 2007, 10:22

Hi folks
I am a former student of Dr. Paul Richards (BA at COWA) and have been browsing this section of the forum for a while now with avid interest.

Having done two local history research projects (for Paul) on the North End I am now embarking upon a third!

Paul is interested in 3-5 St. Ann's Street. Does anyone have any old pics of these two properties (Yes I know they are not architecturally stunning!) they are willing to share. I am also seeking info on 20th century inhabitants. Directories suggest:
Arthur Porter - Hairdresser (1957, 1969 and 1973) for No. 5.
Albert Edward Greeves - Boot Repairer (1957) also No. 5 (Poss. outbuildings)
Barron Bros. - Printers (1957) No. 3.
Charles Smith - Dairyman (1937)
Sarah Chase (1937)
Bertie Plumley (1957)
John Balls (1969)
L M Balls (1973)
Some of these later residents may still be alive or will have family members living locally so all information will be treated confidentially and with due respect.

Any information will be gratefully received either on the forum or by private e-mail and if anyone has knowledge of further residents please, please do let me know.

By the way is EEW the kind person who passed on a photo of Garland Yard (for my dissertation) to Andrew at True's Yard. If so thank you so much, it was very much appreciated.

I am happy to share my research findings on my previous projects if anyone is interested. I have researched inhabitants of True's Yard Museum buildings and also just completed a study of Pilot Street (1871 - 1941) for my dissertation.

A further area of interest is Childhood in the North End - this is an entirely separate project just for my own pleasure - but any info. pics etc. will be insightful and very much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from anyone with memories to share.

Regards and thanks in anticipation. :D
Karen
Karen

History

Postby teddybear1959 » 14 Jun 2007, 12:16

Hi Karen

I have pm'd you.

There are a lot of people on here who will be more that willing to help you, myself included.

Look forward to corresponding with you.

Teddy
:wink:
teddybear1959

Postby Karen » 14 Jun 2007, 12:22

Wow that was quick. Thanks Teddybear (what a lovely tag - mine's a bit boring I'm afraid - maybe I should change it!).

Any help will be so gratefully received. I am not originally a local lass (Yorkshire by origin) so I don't know many people in Lynn. As you will gather from my post - my interests are mostly the North End so far but I intend to widen my research in due course.

I have signed my life away from September and will be doing a masters in local and regional history at UEA (1 year) so this area of the forum will no doubt be of continued interest long into the future.

Bye for now
karen
Karen

Postby delbert » 14 Jun 2007, 16:11

from 1965 kings lynn blue book
have a balls.j.a at no 5 st ann,s street

and these from 1973 kelly,s directory

looks as though you have most of these tho :)

great to hear that info on site is bieng used for reasearch .
good luck in your forthcoming studies
(maybe if ya get stuck,give em some homework on here,that,le keep em out of mischief :lol: )
Last edited by delbert on 14 Jun 2007, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
"go placidly amid the noise and haste"
delbert

Postby EWW » 14 Jun 2007, 16:14

Hello Karen (199) Yes I passed the pic of Garland on to Andrew for you.
Sadly the building that was part of the old Malthouse nearly next door
was pulled down last week. It can be viewed in the thread below this one.
(yard off austin st)
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 14 Jun 2007, 16:19

Used to go to old mr Porter for a haircut when I was a kid. Did not matter
what sort of style you wanted you got a short back and sides :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

St. Ann's Street

Postby Karen » 14 Jun 2007, 17:18

Hi Delbert and EWW (whoops, I got that wrong in my first post - sorry, but thanks again for the pic - it was the final link for my dissertation!).
The building adjacent to the Malthouses was probably one of things which spurred me into joining this forum(I can't believe it was demolished only a few days ago) that and the pics of the swimming pool - I'd actually been told about the pool the previous day by a student collegue and lo and behold found it on here the very next day - Serendipity! I hope you dont mind but I've saved the pics posted to show her because she is also immensely interested in the history of the town. We are voyaging around the town tomorrow to view the buildings properly now that studies for this year are over. Any offers of guidance?
Clearly you all feel a lot of passion for King's Lynn, changes and all, and this is a good thing - too often people become too complacent about their surroundings and largely ignore the beauty and history in their own back yards. Off the soap box now!
Delbert - can you glimpse back into your blue book and have a looksee for No. 3 or was it not mentioned - Kellys for 69 and 73 had no listing for that property. Please, please tell me all you know about Arthur Porter and his short back and sides. Fleshing out the characters in the properties is the all important aspect of this research for me. Also does anyone have info. on Barron Bros. Printers - I have googled but to no avail - Were they only located in St. Ann's Street or have a workshop elsewhere? Actually anything anyone can tell me would be great.

Also in 19th Century there were a couple of Pilots living in these properties (at different times). Can someone set out precisely the role of the Pilots because beyond guiding in large vessels I'm not sure what they did which is a poor show from someone who came from within spitting distance of Trinity College in Hull. Any pics of Pilot Cutters (if thats what they are called) would be great too.

The other people I am trying to research are the Flanders family (pipemakers). Joseph Flanders opened their original home as the Naval Reserve and apparently wandered around the bar selling his pipes to customers. They seem to have sold up and moved to No. 3 just prior to 1881 and then sold to Thomas Westwood in 1889. Thomas Westwood (Fish Merchant) is also of interest because he was still in residence in 1901.

In fact anything, however random is of interest and dont forget childhood - this is purely for my own satisfaction but I'm keen to know.

By the way keep up the good work on this forum - I've spent practically all day going through different threads and its all so interesting.

Thanks again for such prompt responses.
Regards Karen (I must change that tag - its sounds too boring - any suggestions?)
Karen

Postby EWW » 14 Jun 2007, 17:36

"Karen" looks fine to me :D

http://www.karen.org/

You can go back to one of the 2 posts
that are the same and edit one out if
you wish Karen.
Last edited by EWW on 14 Jun 2007, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
EWW

Postby delbert » 14 Jun 2007, 17:37

he he ya posted that twice , though i was seeing double for a minute there!!! :lol: :lol:
blue book is listed in names..
found... barron bros ..printers at blackfriars road (no number tho )
"go placidly amid the noise and haste"
delbert

Postby Karen » 14 Jun 2007, 17:38

Yes - I did accidentally post that twice - I got an error message saying the first attempt had not sent so I resubmitted and lo and behold - I said all that twice, and long winded at that!
Karen
Karen

Karen Tribe

Postby Karen » 14 Jun 2007, 17:45

EWW
I always knew that I'd been born into the wrong body and location.
I quite like the svelte look of the lady on the right - unfortunately I am a great deal paler (students spend all their time indoors) and twice as wide - students eat crisps and toast because they are too engrossed (lazy!) to bother with the correct diet. Farmers sound about right though - I was born on a farm (not under a gooseberry bush) and my father farmed for years (not on his own farm unfortunately).
Oh well - I can dream of exotic climes and know now that I am a dislocated being.
Regards
Karen (from Burma!)
Karen

Postby Mivalanchi » 14 Jun 2007, 20:04

Kellys Street Directory 1951

ST. ANN'S FORT.
From St. Ann's street.
South side.
7 Southgate Hy. D. grocer, & post office
7a, Scott Chas. D
8 Leatherland Mrs
9 Holmes Mrs
10 Norris Ernest W
11 Edwards Chas. Wm
12 Mayland Osscar C. dining rms
White Eric,J. N. (old Warden)
Rutherford Jn. (Wearside)
...... here is Alexandra dock
East side.
3 Bunton Fredk. Albt
6 Stanton J. T. & Co. Ltd. timber importers & sawmillers;
timber preservers; plywood & building board mers. Tel. 2605/6
.......... here is North at
ST. ANN'S MANSIONS.
See St. Ann's street.
ST. ANN'S STREET.
From Chapel street to 7 St. Ann's fort.
East side.
St. Nicholas' Church
11a, Sennett Frank
11 Humphrey Fred S. ship chandir
St. Ann’s Mansions.
1 Misson Mrs
2 Lawrence Ernest Stanley B
3 Lake Jas. B
4 Catton Horace A
5 Smith Chas. W
6 Barker Geo. W
---
7 Seaman Martin F. hairdrssr
5 Howlett Mrs. Martha, toy dIr
5 Howlett Harold Edwd
5 Greeves Albt, Edwd. boot repr
3 ST. ANN’S PRESS (M. G. Jary, propr.), printers & stationers. Tel. Kings Lyan 3533
1 Naval Reserve P.11. Fred Taylor
............ here is North st
West side.
here is St. Nicholas st ......
28 Heigham Rev. Alan Christplir Clement (priest in charge oi St. Nicholas')
20 Bristow & Copley Ltd. timber mere
Skinner Jn. & Sons, metal mers. (yard)
St. Nicholas'Mission Hall
18 Robson W1tr, Mallory O.B.E
16 Robinson R. C, R
14 Kerner-Greenwood & Col. Ltd. cement waterproofers
12 Sewell Sidney M
10 Flandera Harry J.P
8 Hornigold Fredk. Chas
6 Goldsmith Mrs. G. M
4 Southgate E. & Sons Ltd. grocers
2 Southgate Hy, D. grocer, & post office
Mivalanchi

Barron Bros

Postby teddybear1959 » 14 Jun 2007, 22:28

They were also at 18 King Street.

http://www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewt ... highlight=

Teddy
:wink:
teddybear1959

Postby EWW » 15 Jun 2007, 09:07

Here is one of a shop in St Annes St for you Karen. I have another
one somewhere when I can dig it out. Humphreys always smelt of
Creosote, tar and oil, and parrafin (loverly)

EWW

Postby Karen » 15 Jun 2007, 09:23

Morning All
Thanks Mivalanchi for 1951 information - that gives me a couple more leads - Toy shops and another printers - any more info, anyone?

EWW - Was Humphreys not next to No. 5 - I have pics of them tearing Humphreys down. Or did they have the shop too? Please let me know.

Thanks again
Karen
Karen

Next

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY