will everard

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Postby old-git » 22 Jan 2007, 00:52

Tis a bit hard to see LoB, :shock: I guess you meant that pic to be a bit bigger. 8)
If that is the case, then it is probably the file(photo) that you uploaded to photobucket was to big in bytes and photobucket re-sized it automatically.

Delbert had a bit of this trouble a while back, here - http://www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewt ... =6372#6372
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby EWW » 06 Oct 2007, 11:49

THE WILL "EVERARD" IN ST KATHRINS DOCK LONDON.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Mivalanchi » 06 Oct 2007, 16:36

When I was doing my National Service I was stationed at RAF Theddlethorpe (6 miles north of Mablethorpe) which was a bombing and artillary target range.
Every so often the Will Everard would sail right through the range.
We used to fire off red flares, but it made no difference, I presume thats the course they would have been sailing long before the range was ever there. Meanwhile the Canberra's flying between 18000 and 40000ft would have to do dummy runs until the vessel cleared.
Mivalanchi

Postby EWW » 06 Oct 2007, 20:23

There were four of them in the docks (London) yesterday Miv, nice sight
seeing them all together. A man at the quayside asked me why the
anchors were lowered into the water while they were tied up.
I explained to him that if they did not do that and they bumped
into each other they would drive the anchor through the hull.
Not a good thing to do :roll:
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Re:

Postby Mivalanchi » 27 Feb 2009, 18:11

Mivalanchi wrote:When I was doing my National Service I was stationed at RAF Theddlethorpe (6 miles north of Mablethorpe) which was a bombing and artillary target range.
Every so often the Will Everard would sail right through the range.
We used to fire off red flares, but it made no difference, I presume thats the course they would have been sailing long before the range was ever there. Meanwhile the Canberra's flying between 18000 and 40000ft would have to do dummy runs until the vessel cleared.

I recently posted pics on the ''RAF Lincolnshire forum'' re - Theddlethorpe

http://www.raf-lincolnshire.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=184&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Mivalanchi

Re: will everard

Postby EWW » 27 Jun 2011, 09:25

Not a very good picture but quite interesting. This is the Ethel Everard, sister ship
to the Will Everard. She was sunk at Dunkirk during the evacuation of WW2. Note
the two Germans having their picture taken beside her.

EWW

Postby apollonine » 27 Jun 2011, 12:04

Another one of the Will Everard... :)

"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby EWW » 30 Jun 2011, 20:47

EWW

Postby MaggieW » 18 Jul 2011, 19:39

I lived in Hampton Court between 1952 and 54, and used to read the details of which ships were docking or sailing in the Lynn News. When I knew the Will Everard was coming in, I used to go down to the quay just to look at her. She was the only ship with those lovely red ochre sails and I thought she was the most beautiful vessel I had ever seen. (I was only about 6) She usually tied up on the river, roughly adjacent to what is now Three Crowns Court.
MaggieW

Postby Tom » 09 Dec 2013, 18:04

An old thread I know,
But just to let anybody who is interested know, I am the current skipper of Sailing Barge Will, formerly the Will Everard.
she is now owned by Mark Tower and run by Will charter ltd, but chartered by Topsail Events and charters.
Due to the recession things have been tough, but we hung on and this year we managed to sail to Ipswich from London and back, the first time in 3 years that she has sailed.
we have also made contact with a previous owner's daughter who is helping us to get the Will out sailing more in the future.
if anybody has any useful anecdotes or information about her, please let me know!

Tom.
Tom

Postby EWW » 09 Dec 2013, 20:47

We love old threads being revived and that is why we do not delete any.
You can look back over nearly ten years and 1000s of threads and come
up with interest.

My abiding memory of the Will coming to Lynn was seeing the men digging
a platform in the Purfleet mud for her to lay on each time she came.
EWW

Postby TonyNorris » 09 Dec 2013, 23:50

As a youngster I frequented "Dolly's" namely The Mariners Arms on the South Quay. A lot of the Skippers and crew from visiting ships also used this hostelry . We got friendly with the skipper of the Will Everard, if my memory serves me correct nicknamed Bimbo, anyway he offered to take me and John Watling on their next trip to Hull carrying grain to Spillers Pet Food factory. It is something I am proud to have done, sailing on a Thames barge.
On our return, being August and hot,we decided to have a swim in the river.
I remember going to swim across to the West side but with the tide still on the flood and me not being a strong swimmer, I turned back when half way across.
That evening we, 1st Mate, 2nd Mate, John and myself had a run ashore finishing at the North Lynn Community Centre. Date was August 1964. A date I will always remember as it was where I met Lynda who eventually became my wife and has been for last 45 years.
So the Will Everard along with other member of the crew, Marmaduke, Dave Howard, John McDermid will always bring back happy memories for me.
TonyNorris

Postby lynn well » 10 Dec 2013, 23:15

I am John's son; he still talks about his trip on the 'Will Everard'. I will have to tell him next time I see him. Thanks for the post.
lynn well

Postby amanda jane » 06 Jun 2014, 18:09

An old thread I know,
But just to let anybody who is interested know, I am the current skipper of Sailing Barge Will, formerly the Will Everard.
she is now owned by Mark Tower and run by Will charter ltd, but chartered by Topsail Events and charters.
Due to the recession things have been tough, but we hung on and this year we managed to sail to Ipswich from London and back, the first time in 3 years that she has sailed.
we have also made contact with a previous owner's daughter who is helping us to get the Will out sailing more in the future.
if anybody has any useful anecdotes or information about her, please let me know!

If you should check back....My father (Hugh O'Donnell) was master of the Will Everard in the 50s and early 60s, he was born in 1925 the same year that the Will was built. Fast approaching his 90th birthday he is still fit and lively and has many interesting stories about his time on the Will and other barges.
amanda jane

Postby EWW » 09 Oct 2015, 10:04

The Will Everard in trouble. After leaving Lynn with a cargo of sugar in Oct 1953 she got
into trouble off Skegness. She was towed to Yarmouth and helped into the harbour by
the tug Richard Lee Barber. I wonder if the post aboves father was skipper?

EWW

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY