Frederick Savage

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: Frederick Savage

Postby EWW » 13 Apr 2017, 16:12

Outside yard at savage's

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby carousel » 13 Apr 2017, 18:18

EWW- I do appreciate your postings- thanks for this latest

brian
carousel

Postby EWW » 16 Apr 2017, 09:45

I think this plaque was on the works gate at one time.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby pspooner » 16 Apr 2017, 18:11

I thought this reference had been posted but don't see it so a tip to anyone who is interested in researching Savages. This is a very helpful book - I even found my great grandfather's and grandfather's names listed as participants in the funeral procession for Mr. Savage.

Title: Savage of King's Lynn: Inventor of Machines and Merry-go-rounds
Author: David Braithwaite
pub: various dates from the 1970's

Try your local library to borrow it, but if you wish to purchase a copy, try searching in http://www.bookfinder.com

you'll see (today) you get 3 different results, each of which leads to lists of new (on the left - noting it might be 'printed to order' from a digitized original) and used copies (on the right), from a variety of sellers, and the prices vary HUGELY!

Search hint: put in the bare minimums to search in the search boxes, not the WHOLE title --- for instance, just Braithwaite and Savage
If you put in too much, you may miss what is actually there because the person who created the record might not have included the subtitle, for instance ....(a lesson from my professional life as a college librarian!)
pspooner

Postby carousel » 19 Aug 2017, 20:09

Question regarding the Frederick Savage Patterns (and drawings) now at the Lynn Museum

The nationa;l carousel Association in USA has just received a copy of microfilms ( 7 reels) of images of Savage engineering drawings - which I believe are stored at Lynn Museum

I am trying to find the history of these drawings (or the patterns) .

What I recall is that when the factory was being torn down a Mr McAlpine , of that engineering firm, obtained/purchased the Drawings and wooden patterns to save them from destruction. later he donated/sold at a bargain price, these items to the Lynn Museum. I have seen some of the storage of the drawings, and also some of the patterns on a research visit to the Museum in 2013. there are references to this story earlier in this thread, but I couldn't find more than a passing reference.

can anyone help me fill in the facts- approximate dates would also be helpful, but not necessary

Carousel
carousel

Postby teddybear1959 » 19 Aug 2017, 21:19

Sadly, the museum catalogue doesn't give much information and very few pictures. I think, the only way, would be to make an appointment and go through each exhibit.
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby carousel » 19 Aug 2017, 23:23

IBefore my visit in 2014 there was a lot more information available on their website, and the Museum staff were very helpful so I was able to see the majority of what I needed. We also are getting listings of the engineering drawings- now I am looking for the story on how they were saved and how they ended up at the Museum

carousel
carousel

Postby EWW » 20 Aug 2017, 09:52

I do not know if you visited Aickmans yard during your last visit Carousel but many many patterns are held there.
The museum manager that I used to deal with has now left and he was a font of knowledge on Savage. Do not
know if there is anyone there now of the same caliber as Tim Thorpe was.
EWW

Postby carousel » 20 Aug 2017, 15:31

EWW, Thanks. I agree with you, Tim Thorpe was very knowledgeable and very helpful to me, I was sorry to learn that he had left the Museum, he will be tough to replace. I did not visit the Yard, as I was primarily interested in reviewing as many documents and photos as I could in the time I had available, but Tim did arrange for a few patterns to be brought in for me to look at and photograph for the research article I was working o, and also showed me (what I remember as) the drawers with all the drawings at another Museum facility where a number of photos, documents and paintings were stored.

I also arranged to visit the True's Yard Museum while I was there, they had some useful biographical information as well as some interesting books and photos. They, like everyone else I encountered on my visit, were of great help.

Carousel
carousel

Postby EWW » 20 Aug 2017, 15:54

I was a guest at Tim and Licerins(spelling) wedding, very nice it was too. Sadly they left Lynn a short while after
and I have not seen them since. His wife worked at Lynn Library with mine.
EWW

Postby EWW » 07 Jul 2018, 09:44

Dragons head from one of savages rides. Enough to scare the kids to death :)

EWW

Postby EWW » 16 Jul 2018, 08:24

One of Savages rides on display in Paris.

EWW

Postby EWW » 06 Jun 2019, 07:50

End of and era.
EWW

Postby EWW » 25 Jun 2020, 08:52

Propeller car said to have been built by Savages of Lynn.

EWW

Postby KTL16825 » 26 Jun 2020, 15:21

A painting by Barbara Jones (1912-1978) of Savage's Yard in 1942.

KTL16825

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY