ARROWSMITHS SOUTH LYNN PLAIN

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

ARROWSMITHS SOUTH LYNN PLAIN

Postby EWW » 03 Aug 2006, 08:38

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby choks » 03 Aug 2006, 09:00

I Love all these old Shop Pics...

True community History

Lets hope these get the memories going full blast :wink:
Summers comming...
choks

Postby EWW » 03 Aug 2006, 09:30

I have plenty more Choks, just getting used to this new IPS system
different layout to AOL.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby choks » 04 Aug 2006, 08:18

These Pics Look Like They Were Taken Between 1910-30's

Just Going on the Clothes.... :wink:

Do you have any Dates EWW
Summers comming...
choks

Postby EWW » 05 Aug 2006, 10:04

EWW

Postby EWW » 17 Nov 2006, 10:21

JUST ANOTHER VIEW

EWW

Re: ARROWSMITHS SOUTH LYNN PLAIN

Postby Appso » 23 Feb 2018, 17:49

AND YET ANOTHER VIEW.

Appso

Postby Appso » 23 Feb 2018, 18:16

Two pictures of what I was told was All Saints Street. One looking east, the other west.
Pictures taken by the late Sid George of Blackborough End just before he knocked 'em all down!
The chimney of Paul's Mill in the background of the one looking west.
Just off centre in both is a pointed gable end building that looks ecclesiastical - any ideas?

Appso

Postby Tresagreen » 23 Feb 2018, 19:02

Hi Appso, spent a good deal of my childhood in AllSaints Street. As far as I can remember, the 'pointy' building was just a normal house. An old school friend of mine lived in the house behind the gate (with the tree in the garden) and on the opposite corner was Snasdells newsagents. I really loved those old streets, I know things have to progress but I'm sure there was more community spirit amongst the people in those old houses. In the summer, they would sit outside their doors and just chat, or knit and smoke. Peaceful times :-)
Tresagreen

Postby Tresagreen » 23 Feb 2018, 19:53

Since we are talking about the area around All Saints Street, does anyone remember Eddie Bray, never seen without his sidekick, a huge bulldog. Never knew which one wheezed the most, Eddie or the dog. Think he lived in South Everard St.
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 23 Feb 2018, 20:50

The pointy house was the old Sheherds Hall T. The Friars boxing club started out in that hall.

EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 23 Feb 2018, 21:05

Thanks for putting me straight on that Ev, perhaps you'll know the answer to another question. On the same side of the street, between Snasdells and Arrowsmiths, was a large house behind wrought iron gates, if memory serves me correctly, it had a garden. Did someone important live there? Oh please, I can't stop laughing, we' re grown up people talking about 'pointy houses'! Sorry, silly sense of humour :lol: T
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 23 Feb 2018, 21:21

I think you are talking about Welwick Hse as that is the only one I can think of that had a garden. The house overlooked the Catholic school
and we used to see the little old lady that lived looking out of the window when we were in the playground. Bit spooky to us young kids.

Bit thrad on here about All Saints Street. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2890
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 23 Feb 2018, 21:45

Yes Ev, I always thought it a bit spooky and that was when I dared look through the gates! Just found the thread you mentioned, makes me feel sad for what has been lost, I know we shouldn't live in the past, but I'm sure times were nicer then, Sigh! T
Tresagreen

Postby Appso » 24 Feb 2018, 12:04

Welwick House was the home of the King's Lynn Photographic Society, several well known Photographers were members.
I was told that it was a listed building that had a superb oak staircase, but it was demolished anyway.
The society folded, I do not know why, but a few years later the King's Lynn Camera Club was started as a result of the Photographic course held at the Tech, this was in about 1965, the first Secretary was Harold Rutland who passed away quite recently. When I joined in Jan. 1970 the only member from the Tech. course that still a member was Fred Pick.
After a lot of chasing around the Camera Club acquired the Photographic Society trophies and some are still in use.
Appso

Next

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY