Greenland Fishery museum, guide book.

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: Greenland Fishery museum, guide book.

Postby teddybear1959 » 21 Jun 2015, 09:39

Wow Heather!!! What a tiny world we live in. My cousins, Mario & Lesley, are in London at the moment, after staying with us for a week. You guess where they live! Yep! Whitby, Ontario! Amazing.
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby Culture Quay » 31 Jul 2015, 16:13

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you can please help me. I run a community interest company called Culture Quay, we have just established and our goal is to create community art projects that celebrate the local heritage of King's Lynn and engage with the young people of west norfolk.

We are interested in restoring the Greenland Fishery building into a working project space with a community kitchen downstairs and heritage crafts mixed with modern digital art and design upstairs. Plus a small performance area for plays, poetry and acoustic music. This is all in very early stages.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any information in regards to the Greenland Fishery, whether it is anecdotal, historical or structural. We are working with a local heritage contractor (He lives down the next street) and we're looking to put in a heritage lottery grant bid to restore the building for community use.

My email address is culturequay@gmail.com

We're looking forward to using this forum to help us with future projects.

Kind regards

Mike
CULTURE QUAY ~ EXPLORATION THROUGH IMAGINATION www.culturequay.org.uk
Culture Quay

Postby EWW » 31 Jul 2015, 16:33

Hi there. You cannot double post in different threads about the same subject. I do not know
if you have tried searching on here but if not search GREENLAND and you will see about six
pages of stuff come up.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Marisa Jane » 13 Aug 2015, 15:20

Hi there. I have a paper clipping from 1940 that says GH Anderson (my great uncle) was one of the committee responsible for the care of the museum founded by his friend EM Beloe.

I have just moved into the areas and interested in my family history.

Can you help?

Regards.
Marisa Jane

Postby vernydev » 28 Oct 2015, 04:48

I was just reading some of the postings regarding the Greenland Fishery Museum. The small house adjacent to the museum is where family members have told me that my father's family whose name was Crake lived when it was bombed during the second world war. Apparently they ran a pub called "The Greenland Fisheries". I have a pen and ink drawing done by G D Page showing the house before it was bombed. None of my father's generation are alive for me to ask questions about those years. As I was told my grandfather was a seaman/fisherman on whaling boats during the time that the family was running the pub. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be happy to read it.
Thank you. Verny.
vernydev

Postby EWW » 28 Oct 2015, 10:35

Colin H posted some stuff in this thread of yours posted in Family history. Do not
know if you saw it or not? viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4812

I think you saw the of the house in the background of the picture of the bombing
of Boal/bridge street WW2.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 10 Sep 2020, 09:59

Nice to see the buildings on the other side of the Greenland fisheries.

EWW

Postby EWW » 07 Apr 2021, 18:35

EWW

Previous

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY