Lost Kings Lynn

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Lost Kings Lynn

Postby Emmo » 14 Oct 2021, 13:04

Have recently bought the Lost Kings Lynn book by Paul Richards (Paul was in my class at school ) in my opinion the pictures let the book down. The pictures were far to sepia dark, it spoilt a good book. I have many (several hundred ) old Kings Lynn pictures on my laptop, some of which are in this book and they are not that dark. If it was the fault of the printers, which I suspect it may have been, Paul should have complained as a lot of work went into this book and for me the pictures have let it down.
Emmo

Re: Lost Kings Lynn

Postby EWW » 14 Oct 2021, 14:49

I think just about all the pictures are already on here Emmo. I have been on to Paul Richards as he has ATTO's yard in the completely wrong place.
He has it where Lidls supermarket is and ATTO's was 12 properties to the west up Norfolk street. I sent him this map showing the yard. If he does a
rerun of the book he is having the location corrected.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Papa Smurf » 14 Oct 2021, 19:45

Emmo wrote:Have recently bought the Lost Kings Lynn book by Paul Richards (Paul was in my class at school ) in my opinion the pictures let the book down. The pictures were far to sepia dark, it spoilt a good book. I have many (several hundred ) old Kings Lynn pictures on my laptop, some of which are in this book and they are not that dark. If it was the fault of the printers, which I suspect it may have been, Paul should have complained as a lot of work went into this book and for me the pictures have let it down.

Would have been good if you counter acted your negative opinion with a positive side to the book. The authors sales can be affected if you just write something negative.
Papa Smurf

Postby Emmo » 15 Oct 2021, 09:56

I did say a lot of work had gone into the book, that`s not being negative, so you thought the pictures were ok, sorry but you have a vey poor standard. I said it was probably the printers fault which I`m sure it was. Paul is a great historian of Kings Lynn and deserved better from his printers. Paul and I have known each from school.
Emmo

Postby EWW » 15 Oct 2021, 10:10

Each too their own on this one. I for one would not buy the book because there are many books that cover Lynn photographically out there already.
I normally support all local authors when a new book comes out but it is just going over old ground. The donkey work is normally done on the pictures
by the author or his little helpers and not the printers. They just print what is presented to them. I doubt very much PR had anything to do with
enhancing the pictures as he still has not got to grips with turning a computor on yet. :?
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Papa Smurf » 18 Oct 2021, 10:40

Emmo wrote:I did say a lot of work had gone into the book, that`s not being negative, so you thought the pictures were ok, sorry but you have a vey poor standard. I said it was probably the printers fault which I`m sure it was. Paul is a great historian of Kings Lynn and deserved better from his printers. Paul and I have known each from school.

I didn't say the pictures were ok, so I'm not sure why you're saying that. I thought your comment was particularly negative and deserved to be in the rant section.
Papa Smurf

Postby Tresagreen » 18 Oct 2021, 10:59

Let's not turn this into another slanging match fellas. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and do not necessarily have 'Poor Standards'. Can we drop it now ?
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 18 Oct 2021, 11:50

There will be NO slanging matches Ms Green. Any posts that are deemed such by the admin section of this forum will, and have been removed in the past.
TERMS OF USE rules will be adhered to by all, and those who do not will be removed. Anything that is deemed inflamatory or trolling will be removed.

Play by the rules or membership will be terminated.
EWW

Postby Norfolkborn » 19 Oct 2021, 22:15

I seldom post these days, but here I must agree with EWW.

I've quit quite a few forums in recent years because the content got abusive or threads devolved into staging matches. KLF has been free of these annoyances all the many years I've followed it.

Thanks for everything EWW. I appreciate it.
Norfolkborn

Postby Norfolkborn » 19 Oct 2021, 22:16

For staging please tread slanging - spell checker!
Norfolkborn

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY