"The News of the World" poltergeist

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

"The News of the World" poltergeist

Postby Zoolandia » 11 May 2020, 16:30

Hi,
As you may know, I have a keen interest in the ghosts of King's Lynn - indeed I hope to compile enough to write a book on the subject (I have a lot of material already, some of it has not been remarked upon before).

I have Alison Gifford's excellent pamphlet and she mentions that "a few years" prior to its publication (early 1987), there was a mention of a poltergeist on a Kings Lynn road in "The News of the World". The road was Turbus Road. I was briefly in touch with Alison but we have since drifted apart - I don't want to hassle her for more details because, let's face it, there are more important things going on in the world and I'd look like a right pest. But this poltergeist case has intrigued me.

I've asked my friends in the paranormal world and they have scoured their books, magazines, files and even their memories and no-one remembers this incident. We've looked all over the internet and while we came up with some interesting tales, nothing on Turbus Road.

The other alternative is to go to the British Library and scour through the newspaper issues individually. Given the indeterminate date of this incident, this could amount to many thousands of pages. In the past, I have actually gone through printed volumes and microfilm at the BL for another unrelated project but in those cases I had specific date ranges which amounted to a lot less than in this current, daunting project, as "a few years" could mean anything from 1985 or before, perhaps back to the 1970s.
Zoolandia

Re: "The News of the World" poltergeist

Postby Tresagreen » 20 May 2020, 10:06

This might cut down your search a bit Zoo, it was before 1979 and apparently there is a newspaper clipping in Lynn library.
Tresagreen

Postby Zoolandia » 21 May 2020, 23:13

Hi Tresagreen,
How did you find this out?!
Sadly, I have looked through the newspaper clippings in the "folklore" folder in the library and there is nothing there about this. I've now, either directly or indirectly been in touch with a whole host of experts, including those of the Society for Psychical Research, the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomolous Phenemena (ASSAP) as well as the readers of the Fortean Times magazine and none of those know anything about it. I've yet to hear back from other ghosty-type people (such as The Ghost Club) but the silence is astonishing.
Zoolandia

Postby Tresagreen » 22 May 2020, 08:05

Morning Zoo, check your pm inbox. T
Tresagreen

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY