All Saints Vicarage House

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: All Saints Vicarage House

Postby Tresagreen » 24 Mar 2020, 09:12

Hi again Zoolandia. It took some finding again ( isn't it always the way) but this is the page I found. It gives all the info available to search. Hope this is what you want. T

PS more info at the end of what you already have.

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 24 Mar 2020, 10:11

Had a talk with my elder brother who used to walk with me to school every day through Vicarage lane, that as we walked down the lane we took
a sharp left down an alley into Chadwick which bought us out beside the rectory at the end. There were no houses on the church side from the
Volunteer stores pub west end, untill you came to Harrod's yard and Daisley's buildings at the east end. So I think you are spot on Zoo.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Zoolandia » 24 Mar 2020, 12:04

I think I'm making headway or I've missed something! Was the Rectory built on the site of the Vicarage?
Zoolandia

Postby Tresagreen » 24 Mar 2020, 14:50

Found this in old books on line. ' the benefice is a vicarage, valued at £18.6s.8d in the kings book. The Bishop of Ely is the patron and the Rev Thomas Berkeley Greaves is the incumbent. The vicarage house near to the churchyard was built by John Norris in 1477. It is a large antique mansion, with a large garden' ...... Somewhere, if it can be found, is a book by John Nurse Chadwick (1850) entitled 'Memorials of the vicarage house and garden in South Lynn, otherwise All Saints within the borough of Kings Lynn, together with a list of other vicars and a quantity of other useful information'!!!!! Some title to remember
Last edited by Tresagreen on 27 Mar 2020, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Tresagreen

Postby Nuggets » 24 Mar 2020, 16:25

Had some time on my hands lately.
I`ve been reading "The remaking of K/L Brown Brick and Rounded Corners" by David Higgins. In this book there is a reference to South Lynn Vicarage.
Apparently it was demolished in 1850 by John Nurse Chadwick,he then developed the area and named one of the streets Chadwick Street.
I`ll see if I can remember how to include a photo of an etching by William Taylor in this message.
Nuggets.
Looks like I am struggling on this photo as it is showing not downloaded as it`s a JPG.

Nuggets

Postby Nuggets » 24 Mar 2020, 16:33

EWW wrote:Teds picture of the rectory.

Hi Ev
I missed Teds picture from Yesterday. It`s the identical one from the book I mentioned.
I should have re-visited these threads before committing my mail and failed photo attempt.
Nuggets.
Nuggets

Postby EWW » 24 Mar 2020, 21:03

You did not make a mistake posting the picture Nuggets...and it is nothing to do with being a JPG. It is not downloaded till I download it and resize.
Your attachment was way above the forum standard of 800x800 that is why it did not show as a picture but a link. Large files I have to alter :)
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Mar 2020, 14:27

These might interest you

Tresagreen

Postby Zoolandia » 27 Mar 2020, 15:54

Hi Tresagreen,
This is excellent, thank you! I'm doing a bit of work on the ghosts of Kings Lynn and found the following cutting in the Kings Lynn Library:

Zoolandia

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Mar 2020, 18:30

Hello Zoo, that's a fascinating find of yours. Isn't it amazing what comes up when you do a bit of digging! If only the library could find you a copy of John Nurse Chadwicks book. There was one for sale on Abebooks, but it was in a foreign country and is no longer available. I love trying to discover mysteries from the past, some would call it being nosey, I call it being inquisitive :lol: Good luck with your ghost hunting, I'm sure there are folks on here who could tell you a story or two! T Further to the above, this is the advert on Amazon.

Tresagreen

Postby littleoldboy » 28 Mar 2020, 11:45

Hi Teresa,
Couple of your posts have been cut off at bottom of page, Any chance you could resend so we can read till the end

Thanks

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby Tresagreen » 28 Mar 2020, 11:59

Morning Chris, which ones in particular, if I know I can try to find them again.. T
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 28 Mar 2020, 12:25

If you are talking to LOB he means this one. Bottom line missing.

EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 28 Mar 2020, 12:45

Thanks E, I managed to find the missing bits again. Sorry but I'm going to put more screen shots on. LOB, this is the bit you wanted and the website I found the info on. There's lots about All Saints, but you have scroll down a long way to get it all. Hope this is what you were after. T

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 28 Mar 2020, 13:10

Thats the order you posted them Ms Green. If you want it changed just say.
EWW

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY