Yet another mystery!

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Yet another mystery!

Postby Appso » 12 Feb 2020, 18:21

This is the second postcard just acquired. It came from the same source as the previous one, that is, a family from Middleton that had connections with Walthamstow in East London.
My first re-action was the Cornhall but having looked more closely I don't think so, to me this building is larger than the Cornhall. There are an awful lot of people pictured here, if it is local, then some local descendants must have a copy!!

Appso

Re: Yet another mystery!

Postby EWW » 12 Feb 2020, 20:28

I think it is the cornhall myself. The double doors went out to the toilet area. The front of the hall had a balcony above the doors.
May be wrong but that would be my pick. There is a guy there with what looks like the three WW1 medals Pip, squeak, and Wilfred.

Victory dinner maybe.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Papa Smurf » 12 Feb 2020, 23:01

EWW wrote:I think it is the cornhall myself. The double doors went out to the toilet area. The front of the hall had a balcony above the doors.
May be wrong but that would be my pick. There is a guy there with what looks like the three WW1 medals Pip, squeak, and Wilfred.

Victory dinner maybe.

Doesn't look tall enough for the cornhall to me. You can see where the roof goes up, looks very low.
Papa Smurf

Postby EWW » 13 Feb 2020, 08:51

Been looking at some of the old pictures on here of the interior of the C/hall and you are dead right Papa. The trusses in the old pictures
are very curved. Now all we have to do is come up with the real location.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 13 Feb 2020, 12:03

The man in the crowd with a beard I think is the late Joe Goodson. He was the last of the Trinity House Pilots that worked out of Lynn.
He died aged 85 in 1940.

No women in the group only the waitresses

EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 13 Feb 2020, 12:29

Is it possible ( only a thought) that the venue could have been the old cafe in New Conduit Street? Variously known as The British Restaurant, Tower cafe etc.
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 13 Feb 2020, 12:35

Could be...but in this picture with the old BR in the background it does not look as high as our mystery picture.

EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 13 Feb 2020, 12:48

Better view of it.

Tresagreen

Postby Papa Smurf » 13 Feb 2020, 15:40

Tresagreen wrote:Better view of it.

Nowhere near wide enough.
Papa Smurf

Postby Tresagreen » 13 Feb 2020, 16:03

It was only a thought !!
Tresagreen

Postby Papa Smurf » 13 Feb 2020, 21:45

Tresagreen wrote:It was only a thought !!

And a good thought it was, however in this case a different one is needed. EWW has identified a local person amongst the crowd, so we can say with relative certainty it is a photo of a Lynn venue. The corn exchange is a good shout, yet we have established the roof structure is different. The old British restaurant is not large enough. So what other hall type large structure was around in 1918/1919?
Papa Smurf

Postby wallywombat » 14 Feb 2020, 12:18

Here's a long shot, what about the old drill hall that used to be in St Nicholas Street roughly opposite the Tudor Rose?
NORMAL FOR NORFOLK
wallywombat

Postby rospaul » 14 Feb 2020, 14:37

wallywombat wrote: what about the old drill hall that used to be in St Nicholas Street

:D ....... The old Drill hall you mentioned WW was too small, you can see a pic of it in the Duke of Connaught thread dated 14th of this month by EW.
The building we are looking for is much larger and constructed with internal angle steel roof fitting that would date it to the 1920/30s ?
I'm still not convinced it's in Lynn :smt017

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby EWW » 14 Feb 2020, 14:51

Nor am I RP. I cannot think of anywhere in Lynn other than the C/Hall that is comparable...except warehouses. It may say K/L on the
postcard but I have seen many that are not K/L at all and we do cover a wide area.
EWW

Postby Holcombe » 14 Feb 2020, 21:17

After the First World War there was a dinner held at the Corn Exchange for all those local men who had returned from the war. I've seen several photographs of that diner and this looks very much like one of them.
Holcombe

Next

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY