South Lynn and King's Lynn Railway Stations - M&GN

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: South Lynn and King's Lynn Railway Stations - M&GN

Postby rogerfarnworth » 09 Sep 2019, 08:40

it is a sad relic of former activity.
rogerfarnworth

Postby EWW » 09 Sep 2019, 13:19

I must have walked under those every Monday and Wednesday when I picked up the timesheets on Mondays and took the wages on
Wednesdays to the signalmen in the Harbour jct box. Neary sixty years ago. Where has the years gone :roll:
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby supergt1971 » 09 Sep 2019, 14:23

No.8 signal i think.
supergt1971

Postby rogerfarnworth » 25 Oct 2019, 16:45

I have been posting elsewhere about the railways in and around KIng's Lynn. Most of those posts have also been posted on this forum. I have just scoped out a little of what needs to continue to be posted about the railways around KIng's Lynn by looking at the early railways serving the town. I thought it was worth posting here as it may be that some of the things I have written need correcting. .............

There is a lot more to cover about the railways in and around King's Lynn. This post gives a flavour of what is to come in future posts although it is primarily an introduction to the early railway companies and lines.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/10/21/ea ... kings-lynn

There is a significant length of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, the branch to Hunstanton, the original length of the line from Gaywood towards Bawsey and a number of quarry and other short lines, without even considering the main line towards Ely.

When time permits. ..............
rogerfarnworth

Postby Hornchurch » 01 Nov 2019, 01:33

rogerfarnworth wrote:I have been posting elsewhere about the railways in and around KIng's Lynn. Most of those posts have also been posted on this forum. I have just scoped out a little of what needs to continue to be posted about the railways around KIng's Lynn by looking at the early railways serving the town. I thought it was worth posting here as it may be that some of the things I have written need correcting. .............

There is a lot more to cover about the railways in and around King's Lynn. This post gives a flavour of what is to come in future posts although it is primarily an introduction to the early railway companies and lines.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/10/21/ea ... kings-lynn

There is a significant length of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, the branch to Hunstanton, the original length of the line from Gaywood towards Bawsey and a number of quarry and other short lines, without even considering the main line towards Ely.

When time permits. ..............
'

I'd really like to see a whole bunch more regarding the M&GNR branchline that runs (ran), out to HILLINGTON & beyond

Bring it on & the more (prev' unseen) photographs that pertain to the above, the better !

Hornchurch

Postby masonbm » 01 Nov 2019, 14:47

Hi Hornchurch-the MandGN line through Hillington wasn't a branch, it was the MandGN main line to Yarmouth Beach via Melton Constable. Strangely, it was one of the very few stretches to escape the 1 March 1959 closure- but only for goods from South Lynn to East Rudham. To learn more, try googling " Midland and Great Northern Railway" or try Amazon or Abe Books for books on the line. I don't think you will find much specifically on the Lynn-Fakenham stretch, though.
masonbm

Postby Hornchurch » 03 Nov 2019, 10:38

masonbm wrote:
Hi Hornchurch-the MandGN line through Hillington wasn't a branch, it was the MandGN main line to Yarmouth Beach via Melton Constable. Strangely, it was one of the very few stretches to escape the 1 March 1959 closure- but only for goods from South Lynn to East Rudham. To learn more, try googling " Midland and Great Northern Railway" or try Amazon or Abe Books for books on the line. I don't think you will find much specifically on the Lynn-Fakenham stretch, though.

'

Hi Mason'b,

Cheers for your reply & further explanation, it's much appreciated.

Pretty galling for me, as a former 'outsider' to hear that I coulda walked a few yards, alighted a train & travelled to both M.C and YARMOUTH !!!!!!!
If THAT line were still going, I'd use it for sure

Aside from riding my GPz.900-R thru Melton Constable & attending a Bryan Adams concert at Blickling-Hall (2006), I've not been there much.

A question for ya...... (including others who might know..... please chime-up "if" you do ? )

At which railway station would former serving RAF personnel disembark to reach RAF Sculthorpe when 100-Grp were based there with RAF B.17's ?

Was there a halt which served BEFORE reaching Fakenham itself ?

Am curious, as AIRFIX have recently released a '100-Group' RAF B.17 and BOTH of the kit-subjects were based/flown from Sculthorpe as well as Oulton.

Hornchurch

Postby Holcombe » 03 Nov 2019, 22:33

The M&GN stations between Kings Lynn and Fakenham were:
Gayton Road; opened 1 July 1887; closed 2 March 1959;
Grimston Road; opened 16 August 1879; closed 2 March 1959;
Hillington; opened 16 August 1879; closed 2 March 1959;
Massingham; opened 16 August 1879; closed 2 March 1959;
Rudham; opened 16 August 1880; renamed East Rudham 1 March 1882; closed 2 March 1959;
Raynham Park; opened 16 August 1880; closed 2 March 1959;
Fakenham Town; opened 16 August 1880; renamed Fakenham West 27 September 1948; closed 2 March 1959.
Raynham Park may have been handy for RAF West Raynham and it is not far from RAF Sculthorpe. Fakenham was the other option.
The USAF had regular transport between the base and Fakenham until the base was mothballed and continued providing transport for personnel from the base to Fakenham during their annual summer exercises in the 1980s and 1990s, continuing their long connection with the town. During the latter periods, at weekends in Fakenham, it wasn't unusual to see snowdrops, USAF military police supporting local police officers.
Holcombe

Postby masonbm » 06 Nov 2019, 16:06

Raynham Park station was just to the north of Helhoughton village, in case you were wondering. It was officially built for the convenience of the local stately home, Raynham Hall and its estate, but was probably used mostly by villagers of Helhoughton, which was on the estate and situated between the station and the Hall. It wasn't within walking distance of either Sculthorpe or West Raynham bases-none of the M&GN stations were.
masonbm

Postby EWW » 06 Nov 2019, 16:42

If you look at the zoomable side by side maps that are in this link you will see that Fakenham is far nearer than any other station.

https://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Previous

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY