north end united late 60s

Talk all sports.

north end united late 60s

Postby john goat » 27 Jan 2012, 13:49

I played for north end united in the 60s and belirve that that team played some of the best football at junior level,that in its self should start the ball rolling.has anybody got photos of junior football in the 60s and 70s,once we start talking on the forum i have some funny stories of various characters.the team i thought was a class above the rest was.
will stebbings.teddy winter.bobby johnson.barry massingham.jack padget.lenny reed.robin farrow.john goat.glen boardman.david day.barry king.on the touchlinewere,the commity siddy griggs george chilvers,eddy chilvers and the man with the sponge was sunny sands.
john goat

Re: north end united late 60s

Postby Stifler's Uncle Bob » 27 Jul 2012, 08:51

My father played centre-half for North End during the 40's and 50's. He played at Norwich City's Carrow Road in the 1947-48 Norfolk Junior Cup final where North End we beaten by Reedham 3-0 (see the attached file).

I think he may have beem invovled in the running of the team in the 60's. I grew up in Jarvis Road, North Lynn and as a young lad, with my father, I used to watch the team named in the previous post play in the late 60's over at Kingsway. They were a very good side and I recall many of those names. In fact I saw Barry King just a couple of weeks ago.

My dad's name is Arthur Tuck. Sadly has passed away on 15 July 2011, aged 88 years.

Friar Tuck: Let us open a bottle and do our best to save each other's souls.
Azeem: Alas, I am not permitted.
Friar Tuck: Fine then, you talk, I'll drink.
Stifler's Uncle Bob

Postby rocker » 27 Jul 2012, 10:01

Hi Stifler, I've lived opposite Arthur and Kath since 1986, both lovely people. Arthur and I would often talk about the football club and he would talk about his time on H.M.S Javalin during WW11. Top man, sadly missed.
rocker

Postby EWW » 27 Jul 2012, 10:08

He is in one of the team photographs of North End United that
hangs on the tea room wall in True's Yard.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Frankly » 27 Jul 2012, 13:14

Check out the photo of the Wedgwood selection from 1975. I think some of these guy's may have played for North End.
Frankly

Postby Will » 19 Aug 2014, 09:33

I've only just spotted this thread. I'm impressed that John can remember so many of the names of that team. I joined North End about 1967 and played with them every year until I moved to Norwich in 1979. They really were a great team. Some other names I can remember from those days - John Clark, Mick and David Walker (who was tragically killed in the Dow Chemicals explosion) and Micky Hunter (who stole my place in goal for a season or two). In my novel 'Off the Mark,' I used North End as inspiration for a junior football club called Northfleet. Northfleet played in green shirts and they regularly won their league, as did their reserves who played in yellow shirts.
Will

Postby john goat » 04 Nov 2014, 23:14

Will Stebbings,can you email me on johngoat@hotmail.co.uk many thanks
john goat

Postby EWW » 05 Nov 2014, 23:00

As he has only ever made one post on here John it may be better if you email him.
His email address is at the bottom of his post.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Return to Sport.