Shadows

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Shadows

Postby Tresagreen » 26 Apr 2020, 16:24

Not ' local music' strictly speaking, but for all you Shadows fans out there, there is a programme on BBC4 at 9.30 pm Friday night. Called The Shadows at 60. Should be worth watching.
Tresagreen

Re: Shadows

Postby EWW » 26 Apr 2020, 18:13

Bit of a Black Sabbath man meself, but may give it a look :smt079
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 27 Apr 2020, 03:24

These are the sort of programmes I miss out here, documentaries as well which I guess this falls into that category. If you want to go to see a show you have to go to Bangkok so that means a hotel and the prices here are the same as the UK so I don't bother. I will hope it shows up on YouTube shortly so thanks for the info Tresagreen. The Shadows were so much a part of the 1960's and so it should be a good show to look forward to, great lads as well, I was lucky enough to meet Jet and Bruce a couple of times and they were just ordinary chaps who were lucky enough to make it big and appreciate it. Bruce Welch in conversation on youtube, there are several are well worth a listen, Brian Bennett as well. Jet has passed on now of course but Bruce is living in Richmond, Hank in Western Australia and Brian lives in Radlett, not a long way from Winchmore Hill where he was born, I don't suppose when he started out that he would end up living in a place like Radlett and have his own studio!
Ev I had no idea you were a religious man!
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Apr 2020, 07:24

Morning Boston. I was lucky enough to see the Shadows at Gt Yarmouth in the early 60s. Jet Harris and Tony Meehan had left by then and so had Brian Locking ( known as Licorice, because of his proficiency on the 'Licorice stick', clarinet) who seldom gets a mention.He was replaced by John Rostill, a lovely lad who was sadly electrocuted in his recording studio in 1973.

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 27 Apr 2020, 09:04

Slightly out with his demise Ms Green.

John Rostill died in Radlett, Hertfordshire, England, on 26 November 1973 aged 31. He was found dead from barbiturate poisoning in his recording studio by his wife and Bruce Welch. The coroner recorded a "verdict of suicide while in a depressed state of mind".

I only go to church if a head is going to be bitten off a bat Boston :wink:
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 27 Apr 2020, 09:12

Keith Relf died in his recording studio by being electrocuted. Someone had wired the electrics back to front which is called
Reversed Polarity which makes everything metal live. Most bands after that happened would use a little plug (I have one
mysel) that you plug into any outlet to tell you if its wired right. Keith Relf was the singer in the Yardbirds.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Apr 2020, 09:56

I stand corrected EWW.just quoting from one of the many reports of his death.

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 27 Apr 2020, 10:05

You could still be right Ms Green as I quoted from the coroners report, and on looking further there are a lot that agree with that, and a lot
says electrocution :smt102
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 03 May 2020, 17:04

Tres, have just watched the Shadows at 60, tip top stuff! We were so lucky to have been around at that time, thanks for the heads up. Cliff and the Shads always remind me of Kings Lynn, especially Wheelers in the High Street.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 03 May 2020, 18:20

Hi Boston, glad you managed to catch it, could have done with fewer 'talking heads' and more of the chaps themselves, but yes, it was a good programme. What unassuming fellas they are. I agree with you, we were so lucky to have been part of that generation. Good old Wheelers(it was on the corner of Tower street in my day), I bought my first record there, Cathys Clown by the Everley Brothers and I still have it!!! :D
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 03 May 2020, 18:26

Have you still got the wind up gramophone with the big speaker horn on it to play it also :lol:
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 03 May 2020, 18:33

No E, but I wish I had. My Nan had one in her front room and the only records she ever had,were the Woody Woodpecker Song and Indian Love Call. :D.....ps I also have all my original Shadows 45s and LPs
Tresagreen

Postby littleoldboy » 04 May 2020, 09:22

Watched the programme and thought it was fair and balanced. The suits, the steps and the short play time. Loved the tunes at the time, but reality was instrumentals have a limited market. The Tornados were my favourite (originally backed Billy Fury) but were really a one hit wonder, tried to sing and broke up.
Hank was never really the greatest guitar player, he picked out the notes and they were very simple, but, he was the inspiration for many others to pick up the guitar and play and that is his legacy. Many great guitarists on the programme acknowledged that.
He was right up there with Burt Weadon - everybody I know that tried to play bought Burt's book.

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby 8 boston square » 04 May 2020, 10:50

Littleoldboy, I have to agree you about Hank Marvin, he picked out the notes and they were easy to play, so everyone could play the Shadows stuff, very clever really. They also cleverly put just the right amount of echo/reverb to create their own sound, also very clever of them. Between them, Brian, Bruce and Hank did write some great music, that is often forgotten and their backing vocals were a great asset to Cliff.
Ev you talked about too many talking heads ( with maybe not enough to say ) having now reflected on the show, I am glad BBC did it but it does look, looking back, as if someone just remembered its the 60th we must do something and someone got the job of making the show, someone who did not know about the Shadows and had to do research and had prompts from others who might or might not have been helpful, like the bit in Abbey Road Studios, Yes you have to have that that is where it all was recorded, don't forget the zebra and lets get Bruce and Brian down there with some memories. It was good that they did it but it could have been much better if they had a Shadows fan to do it who really knew how important they were and how important the 60th show was.
If you like the talking heads stuff then I would suggest Bruce Welch on Face to Face, Bruce is like me or I am like him whichever you like best, can remember details from our teens but what I was thinking 1 minute ago has just vanished from my memory! Brian Bennett also did the same Face to Face with Rick Wakeman, they are both interesting conversations.
After the Shadows at 60 I found another interesting interview...…….Greatest Music of all time with...……….Sir Cliff Richard, the interviewer was a young chap did not recognize him at all but some interesting memories from Cliff and his views on downloading sites, how much the artist gets, it will shock you, 37 minutes of life with boy himself, well he is still a boy isn't he, a little old boy
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 04 May 2020, 10:57

Should also have responded to "Wheelers" they were so much a part of music in Lynn. Tower Street Corner what an icon building, I can remember many visits there to pick up a few singles and then down to the far end to "the listening booths" pop on your 45 and then to buy or not to buy? That is the question. Their other branch in the High Street was between Jermyn's and W H Smith and was mainly for the sale of instruments, everyone could play ( one note anyway ) at the time, everyone wanted to be in a band at the time and this was where you came for your kit, before Portass and Carter started.
8 boston square

Next

Return to Local Music Scene.