Shadows

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Shadows

Postby Tresagreen » 16 May 2020, 13:04

Someone mentioned Bert Weedon a few posts back. Turning out a cupboard this morning, I came across this. Recorded in July 1976.

Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 17 May 2020, 10:46

Yes I remember it well also many budding guitarists used his "play in a day" course, took longer than a day I can tell you. He was also a regular on "Saturday Club" good guitarist but would not have fitted in a with a group of the day, would not have suited his style.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 17 May 2020, 11:11

Few names on the back of this record for you to remember Boston. Some you have already mentioned. Ventures, Surfaris, String a longs, Santo and Johnny,Chet Atkins( one of my favourites), Los Indios Tabajaras,Duane Eddy.
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 18 May 2020, 04:22

I watched the Shadows at 60 again last night and apart from a couple of audio drop outs I liked it much more watching it this time around, they were really nice chaps, good blokes who have not changed as time has gone on and now they are all near 80 years old but don't sound grumpy, they have had a good life, so far, they never forget how lucky they have been with their fan base that have given the special privilege of doing what they really wanted to in life where most of got a job that paid the bills rather doing a job we really would have chosen. Nigel Portass has also been lucky in that respect, a local lad who loved his music and was able to make it pay the bills and enjoy life.
The thing we don't tend to notice is the effect they had through their personalities and music on our lives.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 18 May 2020, 07:24

Don't know if you caught the 'matching set' Boston, but there was a programme on ITV3 last night. Sir Cliff Richard, 60 years in public and private. T
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 20 May 2020, 02:36

Hello Tres, yes I caught it last night, not anything like what I expected it seemed to be mainly about his dreadful experiences with the court case and it must have been a terrible time for him and despite what is said I don't think you can ever fully forget it. he sold his place in Weybridge and who can blame him, so much pain from one crazy person. They should have at least had a little chat with him before the intrusion, to their credit S Yorks Police did apologize but it does erase things.
Well 60 + years at the top is indeed a great achievement that few can match, so a big well done to him for that and he looks and moves so well for his age.
8 boston square

Previous

Return to Local Music Scene.