Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 18 Oct 2020, 10:40

Its been raining here for the last 20 hours, well it is the rainy season and it will be like this maybe for the next two or three weeks, hope not as we are away down to the coast for some Christmas shopping mid week, but this reminded me of Sundays in Hunstanton when the season ended and like here today you could shoot a gun up the street and not hit anybody! As winter approached it got worse with the cold and shorter days. Everything was different on a Sunday, the Capital Cinema which showed a film and a another secondary one one Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday then a change of programme for Thursday, Friday and Saturday when it came to Sunday instead of two shows in the week you got one on a Sunday ( 7pm start ) and always an 'X' rated film as well. The only shops that opened were the paper shops till about 1pm, transport was a special low service and hardly anyone seemed to come out.
The papers i ran through to see what of yesterday's football highlights were on later and being a Forest supporter I was keen to see if ATV or Granada were showing highlights of a Forest win! Hunstanton was in a funny reception area, we got local news through Anglia TV ( ITV network ) but the BBC news came from Leeds! I along with Frank Hartnell, a butcher called Bill Baxter and the golf pro from Old Hunstanton John Carter somehow ( I think Frank wangled this ) got into the Conservative Club early for a foursome on the snooker table and there was always someone I was looking out for who lived in a flat a bit further north from Boston Square who could get ATV and Granada and I often ended up round his house at lunchtime, hoping fr good reception as their football programmes were on between 1 and 2 pm, did not happen too often but it helped to pass the time on a Sunday.
After Sunday dinner I had a bit of time until 4pm when we got "Ready Steady Go" and hour of pop music with Keith Fordyce and Kathy McGowan, it was a much better show than "Top of the Pops" for me as some bands actually played live whilst "Top of the Pops" was always mimed. They did also get the big groups on there as well, Beatles, Stones Manfreds, Beach Boys, Gene Pitney, Dusty you know it was good, then after that at 5pm it was Anglia's "Big Match". This always made me smile, how could you call it the big match when the teams were Norwich City, Ipswich Town, Peterborough United, Southend Unite. If there was bad weather, snow, ice, water logged pitches the local game was off and at short notice Anglia would take game from London which meant Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham or Arsenal grinding out another 2-1 win but that was another hour and at 6pm it was time to get ready for Tech' on Monday and then get dressed up for the Kit Kat and the 15 minute walk across the green and down the "Prom" to the Kit Kat and look forward to seeing my chums and looking forward to another great night of live music, Sundays in those 1960 days between October to Easter took some getting through but the best came last courtesy of Danny Ford and the Offbeats
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 26 Oct 2020, 11:52

Previously I had been talking about some of the Pop shows we had on the tele in the 1960s ( I even had a 78 of 6.5 Special which was on the BBC on Saturday nights at 5 past 6 in the late 50s ) so look out at the weekend for small glimmer of what those shows were like with one my favourite bands of the time and I was surprised that this was actually live, you will see this to be true as they have to re start their second song.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Nov 2020, 11:30

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 07 Nov 2020, 02:24

Ready Steady Go was a new musical programme from Associated Redifusion the London ITV franchise. It was recorded live in the basement studios at their Kingsway head quarters and it started in 1963 with Keith Fordyce and Kathy McGowan as presenters. The studio featured a spiral staircase and gantry but was very small. All programmes were live and were mimed, so remember the words! It was unusual in so much as it often showed "stars" walking through the audience to the stage whilst they appeared to be singing! You could touch your heroes !! The BBC twigged this pretty quickly and were able to learn from it and bring more money into play in 1964 when "Top of the Pops" started its long run. TOTP was a much brighter show, still mimed of course whist the studios of RSG were always in a half light.
The programme went out in London and other franchise takers on a Friday night with the slogan "The Weekend starts here!" I dont remember Anglia taking it as we had our own local show after the news, can't remember the name of it now but you know the one where Peter Fenn played "Wheels" as the signature tune.
1964 saw RSG move to larger studios in Wembley and the show was now was still live but with live music and new camera techniques were pulled out of the hat to make it different, as with TOTP "artists" were invited on the show and I dont think they got paid it was free exposure/advertising, It had also by now at Wembley grown from 30 minutes to 60 and Anglia took the show as I previously mentioned to broadcast on a Sunday afternoon between 4pm and 5 pm.
RSG lost its popularity and by 1967 it was just a memory, but a good one whilst it lasted, remember the theme tunes, "Green Onions" from Booker T and the MG's and Manfred Mann's "5-4-3-2-1"
Another little pop show I liked started in 1958 and ran until 1961 was "Cool for Cats" and featured Kent Walton who sat in an empty coffee bar and introduced "new Material" so it was cheap to produce and regularly featured the Dorothy Squires dancers including an up and coming Una Stubbs. This little show was only 15 minutes long and went out on ITV at 7pm-715pm and later in the life it was repeated on a Thursday.
Looking back we had some pretty good music shows in the late 50's early 60's do you remember any of them. Oh Boy, Thank your lucky Stars to name but two I have no idea what they have today but then music today is not what it was is it, all the good tunes have gone, luckily those of us who enjoyed the 60's got the best of it all.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 07 Nov 2020, 09:54

Peter Fenn. Ten minutes in that studio and you would have been smoked like a kipper.

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/2011/ ... -2011.html
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 07 Nov 2020, 14:26

Hi Boston, think you mean Dougie Squires dancers. Dorothy Squires would never have had a dance troupe :lol: . She was a Welsh 'singer', if you could call it it singing and was once married to Roger Moore.
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 07 Nov 2020, 18:09

When Roger was shacked up with another woman she went to his house and smashed every window in it.
I think that drink got the better of her in the end.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 21 Nov 2020, 02:55

I dont know if any of your remember in the early 1960's the musical papers that used to come out on a Thursday, Melody Maker and Record mirror, 9d and 6d, the official chart was taken at the time as the Melody Maker one and BBC eventually had their Sunday Afternoon "Pick of the Pops" this is the chart they used, with Alan Freeman as the DJ. Most people I knew at the time read the NME, New Musical Express which came out of Friday priced 6d, morning break at Hannam & Barnard in Tennyson Avenue, across from the Tech was where we gathered round anyone who had a copy.
New Musical Express seemed to be much more switched on to the scene and in April 1962 they had what I think was the first of their "Poll winners All-Star Concert" at Wembley, entrance 1/-! All the stars of the day were there, Cliff and the Shads, Acker Bilk, Adam Faith, Billy Fury, Ted Heath, Helen Shapiro, Bert Weedon, The Springfields, Shane Fenton, Brook Brothers, Cleo Laine, Eden Kane, John Leyton, Joe Brown. Danny Williams and hosted by that old smoothie David Jacobs ( well he was good though wasn't he ) What a great line up for a bob, yeah!!
But do you know what, it was not televised, well I dont recall seeing it and I am sure I would not have missed it all I had to do was avoid "Coronation Street" on Monday and Wednesday and I could pretty much watch what I wanted on the 2 channels available so long as I put my bid in early enough.
So there is a bit of background for you, I have found another little gem, well 2 hours long actually in wonderful 405 line black and white to help you through to the end of the useless lockdown the UK is going through whilst life goes on pretty much as normal for me, no masks, no 2m rules and by all official accounts no covid-19 problems internally, so stand by for some great memories of the time coming up very soon.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 21 Nov 2020, 08:16

Here you go Boston.

Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 25 Nov 2020, 05:04

You should soon be seeing the NME poll winners concert for 1963, only 2 survivors from the 1962 one, David Jacobs and Joe Brown, shows how quickly music trends changed. This was a good time for me music wise I like the early 60's 1960-64 the old and the new as time went by but change you cannot stop so enjoy what you have when you have it.
I liked the stage hands, usually know later as "crew" but these blokes and they were always blokes were wearing the standard overalls of the time, the same that were often used just about everywhere especially in the shops.
This show was televised by ABC TV, liked their little jingle and opening, although we only had 2 channels in those days, ITV had some jolly good shows from around the networks so smaller ITV stations like Anglia could pick what they wanted to fill the schedule, I thought they did pretty well overall.
Well I hope you like the show, its 2 hours long, 2 one hour shows over 2 weekends put together from the Empire Pool, Wembley, almost as long our Sunday nights at the Kit Kat and for me they were never long enough, greedy aren't I?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 25 Nov 2020, 09:06

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 28 Nov 2020, 04:17

I first came to Thailand a little over 10 years ago, had no idea what to expect and I wondered if every waterhole was full of crocodiles, which they were not and what about the heat and food? It was all a great adventure in a very different climate and culture. The climate when I arrived was the cool dry season and after about 10 days my body was moving much better than in a damp cold England that when I first started exploring the possibility of a move but there are so many things to take into account, music being one of them and like everywhere it goes from school bands out of tune complete with squealing kids to some very very good musicians one such musician is called Carabao who tends to turn up unexpectedly and hand out free tickets for a concert that night at the local stadium not that I have very been in the right place at the right time and that is one of the musical problems here, generally, if you want a concert you have to go to Bangkok where the prices are the same as the UK and then you will need to add on the cost of hotels and transport. I used to love supporting my little theatres where I lived and they put on some excellent shows, we just dont have that sort of thing here and I do miss them.
We do have "stars" and even "superstars" who are famous for a short while and then are quickly forgotten. A star or superstar might have a string of recordings that keep them popular and some will just have one hit and be gone and some will unearth a really great track and the locals will flog it to death playing it 2 or 3 times every hour and then they slide away and are forgotten, there are some you dont forget even though the locals do.
When I first arrived was one of those rare events when there was one of those great catchy Thai tracks called in English "I dare Tell You." by a singer whose Thai nickname was Ern or was it Urn or was it Irn, its all in thai of course but I thought you might like to hear a Thai pop song from 10 years ago. Note the inexpensive set, inexpensive clothing and the dancers at the back who needed a bit more practice, hope you like it.
We are off to Kanchanaburi on Monday for a traditional Thai market down the bridge over the river kwae so looking forward to that and if all else fails I can at eat get a good pizza there!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 28 Nov 2020, 10:23

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 09 Dec 2020, 21:51

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 10 Dec 2020, 02:10

Hope you liked that Dave Clark 5 on American tv, its a pity they did not show more of the show looked as if it might have been worth watching but apart from the editing a little gem. They were good times on both sides of the Atlantic by the look of it and I still believe that the early 60's for music was really the best and anyone around at the time was very lucky to see it all come out in front of you. It is also lucky for us that not everything was destroyed and things that might have been lost forever suddenly turn up or we find something we never knew existed so tune in again at the weekend for another glimpse from the past this time from 1964 when you will hear original artists perform their songs that we heard Danny Ford and the Offbeats sing to us in those halycon Kit Kat days.
8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.