Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 08 Aug 2020, 09:17

8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 08 Aug 2020, 15:57

This chap is superb Boston, have you found the other ABBA tracks he did? If not give them a listen. Ps you know what an ear worm is? I cannot get Calcutta out of my head, cheers :lol: Hope you enjoyed your few days away.
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 12 Aug 2020, 09:46

Artists impression from the plans put foreward of what the building will look like where the Kit Kat stood.
Anything is better than the bomb site that is there now.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 12 Aug 2020, 14:10

That does not look so bad and it does have a hint of the Kit Kat to it.
We are now back from our little trip to the seaside, I will get some photo's on the far away thread in due course but first the Heart Beat bar is closed so no Heart Beat band! Further more I herd no live music in Pattaya at all!! Pattaya is Thailand's premier beach city and has been hit terribly by the shutting of Bangkok airport, we stayed in a Hotel with 153 rooms only 5 were occupied several were closed in the area where we stayed. A trip to the coral island proved a nice day out for us and a few others but the beach was dead even though this is low season, showers down from 50bts to 20bts. In restaurants and hotels menus very restricted and even the beach front McDonalds was closed, but a tad of brightness :D a stores that used to be called Mike's and was 5 floors of shopping is now down to one floor floor with a new hotel on top but as we walked in...............I'll name that tune in 2............."Walk Dont Run" by the Ventures followed by a Sunday Night regular "Perfidia" also the Ventures so that brought a smile to my face. Soi Buckhaow is where the English area is in Pattaya and it was going at about 50% at night much better than other areas but the City as a whole is just about clinging on and hoping to get to the High Season which is November 1st and hope that the planes are allowed to come back, what they dont seem to realize is that like here people have lost jobs and money and maybe will not be able to come, then there is the draconian conditions of entry demanded by the Government which would put most people off if still in place. Of the tax paying population here 42% work for the Government and its agencies, they still have jobs and have still been paid just like everywhere else its the private sector that has paid the price of lost jobs and money.
We went on to Maepim last Sunday same here, lots closed down and the Hotel just about operating I think about 10 rooms occupied out of about 60 I think, menu curtailed as well its a sad do all round and someone is going to have to pay the bill, here it will with jobs gone and no welfare state to bail you out, when its all played out I just hope that they learn the lesson that life is a risk and we have to learn to live with the risk of viruses just the same a we do with the flu, HN51 was much worse than this but with no quarantine who noticed any difference to our lives, these so called experts got it wrong with Brexit stuffing us with fear and I think they have this time as well.
Now then Friday is someone who is nearly famous's birthday he is 80, its a pretty easy guess and someone we used to listen to every Sunday night with Danny and the boys, on of his other big hits was recorded at Milton Keynes shopping centre in the 80's, blimey thats over 30 years ago, I need a drink and raise your glass on Friday.
Last edited by 8 boston square on 12 Aug 2020, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 12 Aug 2020, 14:12

Tres, yes I have heard a lot of Phil's recordings its not as easy as it looks or sounds picking something with words that works as an instrumental but his choices have been good and its a nice relaxing time listening to his offerings, he is as you say superb.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 14 Aug 2020, 04:03

Sir Cliff Richard is 80 today today, hope he has a good day, Sunday night t the Kit Kat would never have been the same without Cliff and the Shadows.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Aug 2020, 03:04

I see on the previous page Tresagreen quotes Sam Carter that dad Nick did some of the singing on the recordings at Bayes Recordium. I remember that at the Kit Kat Nick Carter was the only one of the Offbeats that sang vocal accompaniment with Danny Ford. Les Judd, Roger Wagg and Nigel Portass never joined in so I can see why Nick did the singing, particularly when you remember that session had to be booked and paid for, a bad throat/cold would not likely get you a refund.
The one I always recall when I think of Nick singing was Speedy Gonzales when he put a shaul over his head and did the la-lala-lalalalalalaa bit and took the part of Rosita, hardly a rock n roll classic but still a firm favourite in the first half of a Sunday night.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 18 Aug 2020, 16:46

Look out tomorrow for a 10 minute burst from the Ventures, this reminds me of what the instrumental bands were like in the 60's, this is from 1966 in Japan, hope you like it and it brings back some memories.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 19 Aug 2020, 08:43

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 22 Aug 2020, 03:15

I hope you liked that little interlude from the Ventures, the first track was "Slaughter on the 10th Avenue." no idea what the other were but they wrote more than 1000 tracks. Their biggest hits were "Walk Dont Run" ,"Hawaii 5-0" and "Perfidia." strangely enough they never had a US number 1 but clearly impressed the Offbeats enough to always include 2 or 3 of the Ventures numbers on a Sunday evening, the Offbeats introduced me to them, I'm glad they did. They were prolific in the LP field producing over 250 and I bought 2, "$1,000,000 weekend" and "Golden Greats." Put these 2 on the auto-changer and you were away, very much like "Please Please Me." but instrumental. "Golden Greats." some might remember featured a blonde girl in a gold bikini, well Blonde girls matter as do Brunettes and red heads, great girl went well with the tracks. As I write this there is only one of the original band member still alive Don Wilson who formed the band with Bob Bogle in 1958 when Bob went to Don's dad's used car sales to buy a set of wheels, they were joined a Nookie Edwards on lead guitar and originally a young drummer called George Babbitt for the first 9 months so Babbitt was the drummer on "Walk Dont Run" before leaving to join the USAF where he rose to General and 38 years later he returned to reprise the roll of drummer being inducted into the NW USA rock n roll Hall of Fame. Mel Johnson took his place on drums and he was followed by his son.
I had 3 favourite tracks by this band, one I heard every Sunday night and that was "Perfidia" a track that dates way back to 1939, sometimes heard "Walk Dont Run." but my 3rd favourite never was played at the Kit Kat in fact I dont think it ever appeared as a single but did turn up on the interestingly named LP "Mashed Potatoes and Gravy." It was a theme from a 1961 romantic comedy featuring Rock Hudson, Gina Lollobridgida, Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee. Now boys would not go and see a film like this but it was an opportunity to take a girl on a date to, back seats remember? So, do you remember the name of my 3rd favourite Ventures track? I will put it on next Wednesday.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 22 Aug 2020, 20:46

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 23 Aug 2020, 09:00

Nice one Ms Green. That took me back to the dim and distant past for sure.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 26 Aug 2020, 19:45

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 27 Aug 2020, 13:35

Hope you liked the version of "Come September" what I liked about this apart from the actual track itself which to me is timeless is the flipping of the LP covers, somehow CDs were never the same you could sit down and turn the cover over and read what was on the back, something I liked to do. One of my Ventures LP's was there of course.........."Golden Greats".....the blonde with the golden bikini, no doubt that had something to do with me buying it, part of my musical trip through life.
This weekend is my birthday so a very special day which includes a trip to the local Temple and Pizza Hut ( 2 4 1 offer ) can't imagine which I am looking forward to most : :roll: :roll: : !
I found another gem recently and its a great reminder of the 1960's in glorious black and white, 30 minutes so get some refreshments. Do you remember those travelling pop shows, well here is the ending of one of those, you will be hearing some of the tracks from the Kit Kat from people you will be familiar with, some tracks I had never heard before and some in French and Spanish, dont worry its not a song for Europe! The end of the performance is a great memory from the Kit Kat, no clues you just have to wait and listen and then you will smile and say "YES now I remember!"
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 29 Aug 2020, 12:08

8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.