Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 09 Jul 2020, 10:28

You are correct Johnny Theakston died aged 17 of rhuematic fever and Bernard stepped in at what just happened to be exactly the right time. What a lot people dont know is that "Shane" used to be a choir boy at Southwell Minster so he could sing and yes later he evolved into Alvin Stardust, I remember seeing him on Top of the Pops and thinking I know this bloke but it took me a while to place him, my original guess was Johnnie Kidd until I remembered he dies in 1966! His original surname and the name of the backing group came from the name of a shop in the market square of Mansfield, Fentons dealt in drapery items and Johnnie's band was originally "The Big Beat Boys" not what you read in some places and when I ran the dances not GIGS! for the Young Conservatives I called them Big Beat Nights as a nod to guess who?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 11 Jul 2020, 02:41

At about the same time I been to see Shane Fenton and the Fentones a group from Liverpool was arriving on our screens on the BBC2 show "The 625 Show" on a Tuesday evening at 625pm it show cased new talent and their offering was "Love Me Do", the Beatles had arrived and I thought they are not bad, different to everyone else. They released it as a single and it got into the top 20, the rest of 1962 carried on pretty much as normal until 26th of December when the Big Freeze started so 1963 started really cold and continued that way until the end of March by which time the Beatles had released "Please Please Me" and the music scene was to change abruptly as a whole load of bands emerged from the north west. The Offbeats got hold of the "Please Please Me" album like we all did in May '63 and straight away started playing "I saw her standing there, Twist and Shout, Boys and Chains as well as PLease Please Me" 5 tracks that would replace 5 other favourites from another era, like it or not thats what happened. The Rolling Stones and Brian Poole and the Tremoloes also added to the changing play list but to a lesser degree.
Somewhere between the 9th and 12th July Tech' broke up for the summer holidays and soon I had a job at the Sandringham 7 days a week 900-1300 re stocking the bars, one of the bonus's was that I got free entry to the Sunset Rooms and here that met Ian Duffy, lead guitar for Rod Kingston and the Premiers, all the way from Peterborough and resident band at the Sunset Room Sunday Dance 3/- to get in and a crowd of about 300. I also met Harry Howman keyboards and leader of Johnnie Vickers and the Valiants out of Wisbech. By the end of July the Sunset Rooms were going to be having live music every week night, what a bonus but after the first 2 nights and no customers the live music was cancelled and replaced by a Hoch-Ola juke box in front of the stage! So it was back to Manor Park on Tuesday nights and the Kit Kat on Sunday with maybe something appearing on the Saturday night - watch the Lynn News!!
September came and I finished work and went back to Tech' then a strange thing happened the Sunset Room booked some what I would call 2nd stream national music acts to see if there was a market locally the first to come were the Vernon Girls, I remember seeing them but hardly a full house, next to come I think at the end of October early November was Joe Brown and the Bruvers if this did not fill the place might as well knock it on the head but at least it had been given a go. I could not afford a ticket but went to have a listen outside when a stroke of luck happened one of the barmen I knew took me in with him and told me to stay out of the way, I sat at the back and kept quiet then another stroke of luck the barmen came over and told me that Joe Brown was using one of the closed bars above The Hole in the Wall do you want to come and meet him? Yeah yeah course I do so off we went through the back door of the Sunset Room and along the service passage ways below the Sandringham until we went up the stairs by the side of the Lounge Bar and there he was smiling with that long crew cut hairstyle, just like he was on the tele, a cheeky cockney chappie and pleased to say hello to anyone, me being anyone!
Back in the Sunset Room, I along with a crowd that could not paid the bill waited then 3 barmen in a triangle walked Joe to the stage and away the evening went, a good show but alas the last it clearly was not a winner but at least my evening had turned out a lot better than I had anticipated.
Life returned to normal with no more surprise celebrities for more than 20 years, you never know what life has in store for you and when it will throw up another great memory, but before the year was out there was one more to come and I will tell you about that next Tuesday, Wednesday we are off to the coast and Hua Hin and then calling in at the Bridge over the Kwae, Kanchanaburi on the way back so away from the 15th t the 22nd.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 14 Jul 2020, 04:52

Friday night, the weekend start here! Or so Ready Steady Go used to stay when the weekday franchise of the London area changed over to I think it was ATV, for me it was the same and at the same time, the time I got the keys to the upstairs room at the Conservative club, Hunstanton from the Barman Nelson. We had a portable Dansette record player and members would bring along their records, it was a time to smoke cigarettes and drink coke and beer, meet and chat and see what had happened in the last week and what we could look forward to in the next, so whats happening Saturday night, any dances , parties or maybe the Capitol has a good film on, there was usually something and if not we could always get the club room and have a record dance.
I had run a few dances at the Sunset Rooms and the Kit Kat but any time apart from Sunday it was it very hard to get enough people along to make it pay so with that in mind one Friday night club secretary from the main club downstairs, Billy Coles, yes the Sport Shop owner, came up and told me that there was a dance on at the Kit Kat tomorrow night, Saturday, and if any of the Young Cons wanted to go along it was free entry. I had no idea who was on but the curse of poor ticket sales had struck again and if we went along then we would put money behind the bar and cut the loses and avoid the embarrassment of playing to an empty house so that was Saturday night settled if nothing else turned up.
I think about 30 of us went down there, it was downstairs and not a rock band but it was live music, cannot recall the name of the band. I remember a drummer, a double bass and some wind but the surprise was that they had a guitar player and it was Roger Wagge!It was a shock and I immediately asked him f he had left the Offbeats! No, no, no, They needed a guitarist for tonight and I was free so here I am! Well it might not turn out so bad then but by half time the music being played was not, surprisingly, what we would want to listen to.
At the interval I spoke to Roger and asked if there was any chance they might play something we know? Hava Nagila perhaps? Roger said he would have a word, then looked at me smiled and nodded, blimey this could be good. Suddenly with the announcement of request we all hit the dance floor and the band where happy, it started slowly and I got the impression they did not know the tune but you play it and we will follow, as it grew faster the band were in new territory but trying to keep up, with a smile on their face I might add, it went down well and made the evening, an evening the band would not forget, Saturday night had turned out alright in the end and tomorrow we would down the Kit Kat again but upstairs this time and yes Roger was there, a review of the Saturday night with him was also a good laugh.

Tomorrow we are off to Hua Hin for 4 nights down by the coast, been 5 months since we have been able to leave town here so looking forward to that, staying at our usual Hua Hin Grand Plaza and Hotel and then off to Kanchanaburi for 3 nights at the Natee Riverside hotel, every room has a view of the river Kwae, yes that River Kwae and also a a jacuzzi in every room. We hope that we will also be able to travel on the train to Nam Tok which will take us over the Bridge. It will interesting to see how many visitors there are about and how many businesses are open or closed, this is the low season here. If the rains dont come then sun is guaranteed but the wet season is anytime now until end of October. People here still wearing masks mostly but social distancing is out of the window, restaurants sit where you want as many as you want. We will go to Sizzlers today there we to wear thin film gloves to select what we want after the usal temp check and hand washing. Airport in Bangkok still not open for International flights, they say August but I am not so sure, I doubt I will be Kings Lynn this year.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 22 Jul 2020, 15:30

8 boston square

Postby EWW » 22 Jul 2020, 15:31

Thats just how I like to see a beach Boston..empty. :)
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 23 Jul 2020, 02:03

Back now from a few days away this picture was taken on the 16th, not a mask in sight and not many people either although soon was to be chatting to a German and an man from Falmouth, small world. 1450 and we had a 2 hour downpour, I was stuck in the expats bookshop so not a total waste of time. Many businesses closed, Night Market only half full and the hotel, 16 floors of rooms only had 14 people at breakfast with us, weekend was busier but life is just as tough here. Sunday we wet on from Hua Hin to Kanchanaburi where the Burma Railway is, life has survived better here, not much closed but what is open is pretty empty so I think they are just about hanging on. A trip on the railway to Man Tok was interesting, a 5 coach train with one coach for staff, guard/ticket collector and another for food/drink vendors which left 3 for fare paying passengers with only half the seats available due to social distancing, which everyone ignores so 3 coaches about 3/4s full and the fruit and veg farms looked good and full in the red earth remainicent of East Devon, it cost me 100bts single and Nong 17 bahts single, at Nam Tok we have to buy the tickets back this time it was 100+100 the wonders of State Railways here and the Thai love of dual pricing, one for Thais and another for tourists. We got back just before the next downpour, they usually start about 1445/1500 time and last 2-4 hours.
Nice break and now we are back home for a couple of weeks, I apparently have to quarantine to keep everyone happy so I will have travel incognito to the bank next week.
Saturday I have a question for you to rack your brains over, it was a great surprise for me to meet someone quite unexpected on the south coast, so I will set the scene and give you some clues to a mystery celebrity from the 1960's and the first clue is it was a number 2 in 1966 and it was one one of those tracks when you heard the first 4 notes you knew the track.
Hope you liked the beach shot, 1000-1130 it was too hot after that, even if you were in the sea but the next day the crystal clear water had been disturbed by the downpour and it was full of plankton so had to give it a miss after day one.
8 boston square

Postby littleoldboy » 23 Jul 2020, 20:34

The Troggs -Wild Thing or Spencer Davis- Gimme some lovin?
Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby Tresagreen » 23 Jul 2020, 22:15

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Groovy kinda love?..... I believe Kevin Wood lives in Bangkok.
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 24 Jul 2020, 03:27

Close but you need to think of something a little bit quicker with a more beat, more clues when you wake up tomorrow but they were a one hit wonder, so, clues tomorrow and answer next Wednesday, have a good day today, I have blue skies and its jolly warm already. I can see that this going to be as abig a surprise to you trying to guess as it was for me on the first night I met him and I did not guess until his last track when he played the big hit to backing track, no use wanting more either that track was the "more"!
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 24 Jul 2020, 07:15

Chris Farlowe 'Out of time' ?
Tresagreen

Postby littleoldboy » 24 Jul 2020, 17:37

This is niggling me!
John Sebastian of Lovin Spoonful and Daydream, that's got to be instantly recognisable

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby 8 boston square » 24 Jul 2020, 18:00

Ok look its nearly midnight here and I am looking at the cricket, last clue tonight. 10 notes on the bass, 10 more accompanied by the keyboard then the vocals. I hope I have counted the notes right!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 25 Jul 2020, 03:29

My brother lived in Weymouth at the time and was running the entertainments for the local R.A.O,B. Club he told me that on this particular night he had someone on who I would remember and I think time wise this would have been early 90's, his name was Mike Kennedy although he had changed his name as originally he was from Germany but now lived in St Malo in Brittany. St. Malo is the old walled city by the sea, "the city of the Corsairs" lovely place have some great memories there travelling by Condor Ferries from Weymouth and Brittany Ferries from Plymouth or Portsmouth. As the city is an old fashioned walled city it cannot expand inside the walls so it did along the coast and further in land past the docks, when you look at a picture of the old city it looks lovely, Mike's summing up of the St Malo of the time was " a collection of council estates complete with graffiti !" Still the old city is well worth a visit, 8 hours overnight from Portsmouth with BF.
Early summer Mike would load up his van which he slept in when travelling and took the Brittany Ferry to Portsmouth, Almost certainly the "Bretagne" at the time, arriving in England he played gigs along the South Coast working his way westward and ending up in Plymouth at the end of the season, September time then the Brittany Ferry over to Roscoff and drive along the coast to St. Malo for the winter.
He was a one man performer to the ever popular backing tapes/or whatever and his big hit was the last track he played, no encores thats your lot!
The band were neither German or British and he appeared under the name of Carlos. Surely you can get it now, not Chris Farlowe.

Some photos on "photos from far away" thread of our break in Kanchanaburi views of the River Kwae, take a look.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 25 Jul 2020, 07:33

Los bravos.... Black is black Mike Kennedy born Michael V Kogel Berlin 1944 :D. Ps he also recorded a song call Louisiana in 1972. It's on YouTube. Look up Mike Kennedy Louisiana.
Last edited by Tresagreen on 25 Jul 2020, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Tresagreen

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.