Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 31 Aug 2019, 02:09

The second half so far then is as follows.
1. Arrival
2. Angel Eyes.
3 .On and on and on.
4. The Piper
5. Lovers live a little longer.
6. Hast Mannana.
7. Kisses of fire.
8. Why did it have to be me.
9. The Visitors.
10. That's me.
So now on to the end of the show and at number 11 one of my top favourite tracks from 1979, I like how they change the tempo of this one really very well arranged and I wonder how many takes it took to get it just how it turned out, on a live show of course you only get the one shot! At 11 then its "If it wasn't for the nights." plenty of versions available to view of all the above so far so get in there!
Number 12 brings in a slower track with a party season track from 1980, "Happy New Year." I would not care if they played this anytime of the year, its seasonal but what the heck it reminds us of the old years memories as we look forward to the New Year and our hopes for whats to come.
12. "So Log'" is from 1975 a good high speed track to end the show with everyone skipping off stage at the end, apart from the backing band, this the part where the audience start stamping their feet, clapping, whistling and asking for more! This never happened in the 60's or at the Kit Kat on a Sunday Night, I think it started in the 80's but might be wrong there.
After about a minute the drummer strikes up a beat and it joined by the bass player and then the group eventually bounce back on, the keyboard player starts off with intro of the last track Abba released as a single, again a favourite of mine from 1981 its "The Day before you came." Rather a sad track which probably reflects the end of the road was near, it reminds of some of the things current at the time like "Dallas" The Volvo is there of course and the video that accompanied this was brilliant, made me feel cold watching people go to work early in the Swedish cold, of people fancing each other on the way and its a long track too, over 5 and half minutes.
At number 15 to close the show we have the classic good bye track which everyone can join in with from 1980 "The way old friends do." And now it really is time to say good night and thank everyone for coming, hope you a good time and see you again soon!

As the month comes to an end its time for me say good bye as well as I will be flying back to the UK next week for a shade over two weeks as I escape the rain here, its the rainy season, I will bring my brolly but hope I don't need the wellys!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 31 Aug 2019, 08:04

Another good post Boston. Have a good trip back to blighty.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 24 Sep 2019, 11:20

I have now returned from the UK and you will have noticed that the weather has taken a dramatic turn after I left on Sunday!
Whilst in the UK I went last Thursday to the 02 in London to have a look at what was going on with this new ABBA thing Mamma Mia the Party and found it at the end of the Avenue opposite GAP, its done out like a Greek Taverna which doors open outwards to the punters and is due to run until February 2020 and sold out until the end of January. I am sure it has been booked for longer though I cannot imagine anyone would spend so much on creating such a place for just 12 weeks can you?
The evening consists of a 4 course meal with wine and lots of players and singers bringing out the ABBA songs and a lot of the usual ones plus most of the ones I had suggested from my alternative list. It turns into a party of course and you can all join in and stay as long you want hence all the extra tracks, sounds like a terrific night out but it costs and depends how you see things. A show in the West End is 100 pounds plus these days plus a meal so the starting price appears to be 162 pounds presumably if you are at the back. But don't let that put you off the site is not that big so being at the back should still be a good view but 162 pounds...……..hmm plus travel and somewhere to stay......hmm.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 28 Sep 2019, 16:20

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 29 Sep 2019, 01:55

Her name was Jane and she lived in a road of the Gaywood Road, I picked her up in Woolies in Kings Lynn High Street on a Saturday afternoon, didn't everyone go into Woolies on a Saturday back then? Anyway I asked her if she fancied coming out on Sunday, get something to eat and then go dancing, she said yes. So Sunday I picked her up in the 2000E drove to Hunst'on, parked in Seagate Road and I bought a couple of bags of open fish and chips aced with salt and vinegar and we headed for the shelters round the boating lake! The it was time to wash our hands and re apply the lip stick and make up, well not me you understand and bound up the stairs for another night at the Kit Kat, ah they were the days weren't they? How it used to be, a much simpler life back then.
My 2000E was actually maroon and an F reg, I had previously had a C reg V4 de luxe and loved until I had a crash on the A6 when a young dude in a Austin Healey 3000 jumped the carriageway and parked in front of me and I could not avoid the crash. It was the UK version of the American Ford Thunderbird which had twin headlights, our version being much smaller only 5'4 1/2" wide had to settle for single headlights but still a lovely car to drive and with cream coloured reclining seats to boot, top speed 99 mph, you really would have thought they would say 100 would you not, its was second hand had 28000 on the clock and 745 GBP, a classy car. It was a time when cars were becoming more affordable for the masses and Seagate Road was the place to park it with Kit Kat just round the corner. It also had a 2 waveband push button radio-medium and long wave, this was really living. I remember my first visit to the petrol station, the filler was behind the rear number plate, where else could it be!! 10 gallon tank, no euro measures in those days eh! Double or treble green shield stamps on Tuesday for 4 gallons or more, if I went to Peterborough some garages on the way gave you quadruple!!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 29 Sep 2019, 08:07

Always wanted a blue Corsair but never had one. My mate Nod Nicholls had one that we used to drive to Bedford to work in.
On my turn to drive I had a Vauxhall Powerglide 101. Nice car but not a patch on the Corsair. We did that drive to Bedford
every day. Drive there, twelve ours work and then drive home. Even further when I used to drive to Luton and back every day.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 05 Oct 2019, 14:48

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 05 Oct 2019, 15:08

They don't like that anymore do they? Rev counter, speedometer, temperature guage, fuel guage and amp meter. My Honda does not even have a temperature guage! The walnut facia looked flash on the Corsair though, reclining seats and rather comfy arm rests, very different from what we have today. At the time it was a less expensive option to the Rover 2000, the Rover I think being aimed at the more "mature" man whist the Corsair 2000E aimed more at the younger market, I don't recall how much the Rover cost but it was more expensive than the 2000E.
Now if you owned a Ford in the late 1960's next week I have a treat for you, how much would you have aid for a Corsair in LSD?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 06 Oct 2019, 03:30

Also notice the clock in front of the gear lever and some things we don't get anymore, ash tray, cigar lighter and parcel shelf.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 12 Oct 2019, 07:41

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 12 Oct 2019, 10:25

The above is an extract from a Ford 1969 price list, the extras are always interesting to look at and what you got for nothing. My Cortina Mk1 had no radio, carpets or wing mirrors! The 1600E always looked great with those Rostyle alloy wheels, I think they were the first alloy ones, certainly that I remember and a step up from the GT which was, then there was the Capri, a "fastback" small boot, long nose and clearly filling a new market after we had seen the Aston Martin DB5 of James Bond in "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball" a car we dreamed of but who could scrape the five thousand quid together, well here was alternative, not the specs but looked good and affordable ( little pun there). I think the 1600GT was the popular model, Cortina or Capri GT what would you have gone for?
I can recall when the Capri first appeared they had one on display on the London bound platform of Bedford station, very clever.
I hope that brings back some memories of how you got to and away from the Kit Kat, down Beach Terrace Road, 90' right hander then a 90' left hander into Le Strange Terrace, 100 yrsd staright before a right turn up the Green, give it the lot on the way to Greevegate before that right turn onto the A149 and after the 30mph limit full tilt down Redgate Hill!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 12 Oct 2019, 20:41

Mr Melton worked at the Kit Kat for close to 30 years. He has helped me a few times on Hunstanton related stuff.
Did not realise he worked there though.

Dick Melton, who worked here from 1957 to 1986 advises:-

Mr Horace Brooke built the Kit -Kat in 1933 he could not get a licence so he bought the BUCK at Sedgeford and transferred the licence.
In 1958 Mr. Colisanti, the manager started up a Sunday night dance club with local rock bands this attracted 1,000 people every Sunday night till 1970 when the disco craze took over. After Mr Horace Brooke passed away his two sons, Peter and Colin took over they decided to retire and sold the pub in 1986. It was then closed down for for a while and then reopened as a night club and was called the Sands.

It later changed hands again and was then called O'Rourke's Bar.
Then in 1996 it closed down for good.

In 1998 it was destroyed by fire and it stood there just an empty shell until it was demolished in 2002. The area of land where it stood for over 70 years is just an empty space covered in weeds and rubbish.

January 2019.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 19 Oct 2019, 06:35

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 19 Oct 2019, 10:30

So a look at Corsair prices for 1969, how many remember purchase tax before it was replaced by VAT? My Corsair 2000E I think cost me 645 GBP second hand with a new price in 1967 of 1008 GBP. My Kit Kat days were with my Cortina 1200 de luxe but never ever drove it down there always walked and returned with our little group, a tradition I guess.
It is great pity that nowadays there are virtually non of the Dance Halls left that we enjoyed in our youth, it seems to be a thing of the time, of the late 50's and 60's, it was the fashion, the thing to do, the place to be. I was in Nottingham on my last visit and the Nottingham Palais de danse is still there on the outside, in Lower Parliament Street which is remarkable in itself but its been several night clubs along the way since the 60's and I don't think any of its re incarnation have been as successful but its still there so I hope it gets preserved status as a listed building. The Palais de dense in Mansfield has been taken over by Wetherspoons to enlarge the pub and I hope Tim has reflected its former glory, he usually does and I am happy that he does adhere to the former uses of his pubs and keeps some special buildings as they should be in the locale.
We were lucky to have been around at the time of the local dance halls and the craze of the music scene and especially the local music scene, I thought it was great and you never appreciate things truly until they have gone and the opportunity to enjoy them has gone. I can still see the Concorde at Heathrow so sad we will never see it fly again and still looks like it just been unveiled the design, like the Fender Stratocaster and the Vox AC 30 are timeless.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 26 Oct 2019, 02:05

If I was not going dancing in my youth I was likely going to the pictures and we had 3 in Lynn did we not the Majestic, Theatre Royal and the Pilot, Hunstanton had the Capitol, the 60's had some great films which have stood the test time and I still watch them even though I have seen the film many times and now whats coming, am I alone in that or do you do the same thing? This week I have watched "Sink the Bismark", "The Naked Runner" and only the other night "Our Man Flint." I was sent by the East Anglian Trustee Savings Bank to Castle Meadow in Norwich for a course, they put us up in the Maids Head and on the last but one night 3 or 4 of us went to see "Our Man Flint." a parody on James Bond but a great film of the time with that super smoothy, the ever so suave James Coburn as Derek Flint, Coburn like others Steve McQueen and Robert Vaughn made their names in "The Magnificent Seven." and I am sure you will remember where they went from then on. "The Man from Uncle", "Bullitt" for a start. Coburn was Britt the knifeman in the Magnificent Seven in case you have forgotten and was perfect for Flint, I though his leading lady Gila Golan was a stunner and for years in the days before google tried work out where she came from, Greece was my guess, yes a guess she was actually Polish and her real name is unpronounceable!
I can remember going to see Dr No at the Capitol with chums, who is James Bond? Then is was to the Majestic to see "From Russia with Love" for me the best of the lot and the most realistic although the night shots of the Orient Express were clearly filmed south of London Waterloo with a Green steam Engine and green coaches. "Von Ryan's Express" was another with Frank Sinatra and Trevor Howard from 1965 a good film which later came round in the late 60's teamed up with "Our Man Flint" a double 'A' job got go to that.
What is it that makes us watch things we seen many times before when we know what is happening and what is coming? Is it that its not so much hard work trying to work out what is going on as we have already done that and the entertainment is now a more relaxing experience perhaps? "Fawlty Towers" from the 70's is another that we never tire of I bet.
There was some real rubbish made as well of course but the best are still classics so another couple "The Battle of Britain" and "Where Eagles Dare." the one where the bullets never run out and the goodies are good shots and the baddies are terrible!
Cinemas were big in those days and films were there for 3 or 7 days with a one off on Sunday usually an 'X' film.
You could still smoke in those days as well and watching the film through a fog was the norm, not forgetting the rolling of the 'coke' bottle on the wooden floor! Simple happy days eh!
Next week something from across the pond which has always baffled me but as well confirmed that the Offbeats were certainly on the right track.
8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.