Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 14 Jul 2019, 12:00

Yes it was a bit of a disappointment only having one wing mirror but at 8 Boston Square we had three sheds!!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 14 Jul 2019, 12:40

And as we know, every man has to have a shed. I now have shed envy as I only have two :?
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Jul 2019, 17:11

We had a coal shed, a general shed next to it and at the end of the gardem was garden shed complete with croquet equipment. It never occurred to me at the time how important it was to have 3 sheds, it just seemed normal, we also had a double garage with a flat on top where we rented to USAF staff when Sculthorpe was open and then party's for me when they flew off.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 15 Jul 2019, 20:02

Croquet equipment, you're just showing off now :lol: !!! .... Was I correct about the pen knife? T
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 15 Jul 2019, 20:08

We used Flamingos as croquet mallets. We copied Alice. Much more upmarket. :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 17 Jul 2019, 11:05

Tresagreen wrote:Croquet equipment, you're just showing off now :lol: !!! .... Was I correct about the pen knife? T

Yes I think it was a penknife, but there is still a pen knife there so a strange one that.
As far as the croquet goes I found the set in the garden garden shed in a old wooden box, only got it out once so I wonder if its still there?
I do think it amazing about sheds though, I only had one in London 6' x4' so I guess that 1 is the norm, if anyone has 2 they probably have a hooby in there like a model railway but come to think about it if you are or were a 3 shed man well you have really arrived haven't you? People point at you and say "see that gentleman over there he has 3 sheds!!!!"
We are somewhat getting off the subject here I think, I dont recall any band called "The Sheds" or any group or dance for that matter, of course if someone who has a great interest in sheds they could start a new thread but I dont really have much more to add on the shed situation so I will retire as King Shed.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 17 Jul 2019, 11:40

Think you are getting a trifle confused with my messages Boston. I meant that I could see a pen knife there in the box. Having done a bit of investigating, the best I have been told, is that it was probably a key chain like the photo I posted. The search continues.
Tresagreen

Postby Tresagreen » 17 Jul 2019, 11:43

These are the Sheds, a ska , punk band from California 2005-2015

Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 20 Jul 2019, 11:23

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 21 Jul 2019, 04:22

A bit late for the Kit Kat times but I think this would have been the 1980's and the chap, the handsome chap at the back left is of course Nigel Portass, he sent me this what must be a long time ago now. Anyone get any jingles from this? That address in Sutton Bridge ought be a listed building for its music memories of the area, how many bands and musicians have walked through that door over the years?
I found on youtube the other night "The Fab Four in Concert." 1 hour 50 minutes long using the right guitars, Hofner, Gibson and Rickenbacker along with Vox amplification they sounded pretty good, they sounded just like scousers but were amazingly Americans!! If you like the Beatles its certainly worth a look. They had an Ed Sullivan look alike introducing the show so the "Fab Four" started with the first track they played on his show now what do you think that track was?
The show was in 2 parts, you know they go off for a cup of tea for 30 minutes, the first half was early Beatles up to the time of "Help" and "8 Days a week." Then the 2nd part was where they have moustaches and all the funny outfits from Sgt Pepper. The 1st half for me was the best, as I think I have said before in my life so far just about all the singers and groups I have liked I have always like their earlier work than their later work, Cliff, the Shadows, Elvis, Beatles, Searchers and The Beach Boys to name a few. The exception being Abba and I was never a fan when they were in their pomp. I only started to take notice when a young lad at work, he was 21, was telling me a 40 something that you put an Abba track on at a party and it just takes off! I had missed something along the way so I revisited Abba, yes I missed one of the all time great rock and roll bands of all time, how wrong was that of me? There seem to be loads of Abba tribute bands around, always has been since the 90's and as they themselves grow old then another tribute band steps up to do it all again, the songs have stood the test of time but there is one thing that does irk me, whenever you go and see them they generally have the same format, pretty much you know which songs you are going to hear and they are the same ones that appear in Mamma Mia but maybe a different order which is a great pity is a way because they played a lot more than 27 songs and some very good ones as well which are rarely heard. For the bands they give the people what they want and expect but I would have liked to go to an alternative concert where they played some of the less well known and played tracks, tell you what I will see what I can do and do an alternative Abba night with about 25 or so tracks there are bound to be some maybe a lot that you might never have heard of so I hope you will go and have a look and listen on youtube. In the days of the 2 minute pop song you never had to worry about what to leave out it was a case of what to add in to fill the show but Abba tracks on average are about 4 minutes so its a different problem, so next week then an Alternative Abba concert, 5 tracks a week now where to start!!
The Sheds, 4 of them, never heard of them are 4 Sheds better than my 3 I wonder, which one has the coal in :D !!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 27 Jul 2019, 05:39

Firstly for those of you wondering what the Fab Four kicked off with on the Ed Sullivan Show is was not "Please Please Me." as you might have thought but that great track from the Album "With the Beatles"...……"All my Loving."
Now as far as the alternative Abba night is concerned one of their big hits which often at live concerts had audience participation and made a brief appearance in Mamma Mia but rarely got time on the Tribute circuit is where we start.
1. "I Have a Dream." recorded in 1979 and I guess most are familiar with this track
2.. "Eagle." This one came out in 1977, not one of my favourites
3. "I DO, I DO, I DO>" From 1975 and featuring the saxaphone and coming hard on the heels of their success in Brighton with "Waterloo" but it failed to take off.
4. "Intermezzo number 1." Also from 1975 this is an instrumental number.
5."Head over Heels." A 1981 hit that Voulez Vous sometimes included in their show. By this time the girls had funny hair does, as they are entitled to isn't that right girls?

Next weel then 6-10 the best is yet to come!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 03 Aug 2019, 03:48

So now for the Alternative ABBA night tracks 6-10, hw many have you heard before and remember?
6. "Under Attack." This from 1982 just before they seemed to stop making music.
7. "One of Us." From 1980 and this will probably jingle a few memories as this one did get into the charts at number 3 so strange you did not hear it too often from the tribute bands.
8."Iv'e been waiting for you." From 1974 and not released as an A side but a nice number non the less. A B side to one we hist later.
9."As Good as New." This is track from 1979 and came from the "Voulez Vous" album, excellent Abba track which again gets little airtime.
10."Tiger." back to 1976 and from the "Arrival" album sung by Frida and suits her dancing skills perfectly.

So there you have it have have listen to the ones you have not heard and see what you think and next week we end the 1st half.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 10 Aug 2019, 05:02

Here are the last tracks of the first half on my Alternative Abba Night.

11. "Summer Night City." From 1978, Abba are probably at their peak now and the video which came with this track gives a lovely portrait of Stockholm on a summer night.
12. "She's my kind of girl. One from the very early days when the couples were at their happiest maybe? 1973.
13. "When all is said and done." Probably says it all and the end of the road is in sight, this track is from 1981.
14. "Soldiers." From the album "The Visitors." a catchy number from 1981. This album had some good tracks on it.
15. "Rock Me." One from 1975 with Bjorn on the lead, he did like his rock n roll tracks didn't he?

So there we have it the first half and it you check the length of each track its well over the hour time so good value for the entrance fee!
The best is yet to come in my opinion and some of my all time favourite Abba tracks which seldom get aired.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 17 Aug 2019, 04:43

Lets just remind ourselves of the first half then of the alternative ABBA night.
1 I have a Dream.
2. Eagle.
3. I do I do I do.
4. Intermezzo number 1.
5. Head Over Heals.
6.Under Attack.
7.One of Us.
8.I've Been Waiting for you.
9. As Good as New.
10.Tiger.
11. Summer Night City.
12. She's My Kind of Girl.
13. When All is Said and Done.
14. Soldiers.
15. Rock Me.

The second half opens with an Abba instrumental from 1976, the Title track from the Arrival Album its "Arrival", the girls just do the "AHs" in the middle and the only band I ever heard play this was Bjorn Again but its a really nice melody with a touch of a country tradition to it, why it never got more air time is a mystery to me and there are words to it as well though never were ever used by any group from what I can make out. If you would like to hear the words and want to avoid the dreaded karaoke go to this on youtube….Tattoo Sankt Gallen 2014...…..lovely lady with a great voice at a military Tattoo in the northern Swiss Canton of Sank Gallen-even the bagpipes sound good! For a different version of this number head down to Bavaria, get out your leaderhuesen and look for …..super trompet en solo "Arrival" von ABBA.
The thing you will notice from both of these is at the end the audience really give it a good thumbs up so why did we not hear more of it?
At number 2 we go back to 1979 and a track "Voulez Vous" often opened the show with butt I never hear any other group play it, its "Angle Eyes" from the "Voulez Vous" Album, the 2nd half is starting really well I think!
For number 3 we are in 1980 and a great track which I think Danny and the Offbeats would have played this one well "on and On and On." The official video of this was all done with still photographs and surprised me when Frida turned up in an Arsenal football shirt, so, she was a Gooner as many Norwegians were! A live version to look out for is on Abba the show a tribute ?Zurich with Mats Ronander.
At number 4 and from "The Visitors" Album is :The Piper." another of those catchy little numbers that most have probably never hear played before so give it a go.
Number 5 takes us back a year to 1979 and that great album "Voulez Vous" you play the one you know and skip past this little gem, try and keep still its 3 and a half minutes of pure magic.
So there we are the first 5 tracks of the 2nd half hope you give them a listen and perhaps get a pleasant surprise with some of these super tracks.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 24 Aug 2019, 10:53

So far then...…..second half...
1.Arrival.
2. Angel Eyes.
3. On and on and on.
4. The Piper.
5. Lovers Live a littler longer.
Here is an nice easy going track for the summer from 1974. "Hasta Mannana" yes a Spanish ring to this one and although this track is in English Abba did record in other Language, did you have a copy of Abba "GOLD"? Gold in Spanish is ORA and they did that as well. As a matter of interest they recorded mainly in English and Swedish naturally but also in German and French, covered the market to get the maximum returns you might say!
At number 7 we go to 1979 and "Kisses of Fire." a muchquicker track, at your pomp you would have had a job dancing to this number.
Back to 1976 now and its Bjorn on the lead vocals with "Why did it have to be me." its a slower track after the last one time to catch your breath, so that's 8 done.
Number 9 is one of my favourites."The Visitors." from 1981 this was a track I never played on this album until the mid 2000's. Working at John Lewis in Oxford Street, we, the same as all partners had an annual bonus if we had a good year as a percentage of your annual wage, 3 times I got 24% but this year I think it was just under 20 and after the payment we always had a Bonus Party on this occasion I paid my fiver and followed the girls to Leicester Square the party was at the "Talk of the Town." a great venue and this night my chums from Lancashire, "Voulez-Vous" were playing live for an hour before the disco and they kicked off with "the Visitors" which sometimes known as "Crackin up" this was the one and only time I heard it live and its brilliant track, it starts with the girls voices and its slow until the band ups the tempo, I defy you not to tap your foot and shake a leg! I spent most of the evening with a French girl from another department, she seemed to have endless supply of free drink vouchers!!
Number 10 takes us back to 1976 another one of those great sing-a-long tracks that seems so familiar and brings back memories of the summer on the beach..."That's me"

Hope you go and have a listen to the ones you are not familiar with and the show finishes next weekend and 2 of my favourite Abba tracks still to come!

A bit of interesting information here for you, John Lewis in Oxford Street had its own post code W1C 1EX
8 boston square

Previous

Return to Local Music Scene.