Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 06 Apr 2019, 03:46

Last week I was telling you about my memories of the early TV days and when I moved to Heacham from Mansfield in February 1958 ( Kenwood Road South ) we did not bring our old 12" TV we were going to get a new one, a bigger one, one that get BBC and ITV!! A.E Wallis was the local TV/Electrical shop next door to the Post Office in High Street, Heacham but we did not buy a tv we rented it for about 11 bob a week or month cannot remember, Mr Wallis would come and fix the tv if it "went wrong" free! This was the start of Rental TV companies like DER and Radio rentals were suddenly everywhere. When we moved to Hunstanton Mr Wallis and the contract came as well, that was the way it was then.
So staying in was a good option on a winters night, if you all wanted to watch the same thing, it was all black and white until BBC2 started broadcasting some colour content on 625 lines in the mid 60's, programmes with purple buckboards and bright green wheels to make sure it was colour and you got it that it was.
It was another layer of entertainment back drop and our lives were built on at the time, so, let me remind of some of the programmes that were on at that time although you no doubt had others! These are from the UK, home grown programmes.
There were nightly quizzes where you could win up to 1000 pounds like...Take your Pick with Michael Miles. Criss Cross Quiz, Double your Money with Hughie Green ( and I mean that sincerely folks, I really do), David Gell with Concentration.
Musically we had Oh Boy!, Thank your lucky stars, Ready Steady Go, Top of the pops and Cool for cats with Kent Walton, not forgetting the 625 show.
The Avengers, No Hiding Place, Fabian of the Yard, The Frightened City, The Human Jungle with Herbert Lom, The Buccaneers with Robert Shaw ( 39 episodes ), Ivanhoe with Roger Moore, Sir Galahad with William Russel, Dr Who with William Hartnell, The Saint with Roger Moore, Robin Hood with Richard Greene ( mainly out door shots filmed in Ireland and not Sherwood Forest! Z cars, Man in a Suitcase with Richard Bradford ( grey hair at 30!!), The Baron with Steve Forrest, Danerman with Patrick McGoohan and The Prisoner, The Army Game, Bootsie and Snudge, Sykes, Dave Allen and Dad's Army.

Soaps were just starting, we had seen the Grove Family in the 50's on BBC and ITV came up with Emergency ward 10 and Coronation Street.
Sunday Night at the London Palladium featured big names and a quiz called beat the clock now that was competition for the Kit Kat when I was younger but not once I got to 16!
Sport was reasonable, Match of the Day I think started on Saturday night at about 10pm in 1964? The Big Match and Match of the Week were Itv offerings, BBC2 did the Test matches and we had ski sunday.
Who remembers That was the week that was a short run satirical show after MOTD which ended at the 1964 election.
What about the puppets, cannot leave them out can you? Supercar ( back drops of the M1 with no traffic), Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet. THey only had 17 of them so they were constantly changing the hair, beards etc.
A flavor of the Tv from the days of long ago, it was only black and white but it was not bad and don't forget it was not all day and all night either!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 13 Apr 2019, 03:45

Continuing on from last week, we had only 2 channels, BBC and ITV and we did have TV all day and all night then we got BBC 2 with its 625 lines and some colour content later in the decade and to fill this extra time here are a few of the imports from the USA to help fill out the TV schedules and keep you inside rather than looking for entertainment outside. These are some of the shows I recall.
Bonanza, Dragnet, Gunsmoke, Have Gun will Travel, Rawhide, Wagon Train, Riverboat, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Burke's Law, Amos Burke - Secret Agent, The Man from Uncle, Route 66, The Fugitive, The Outer Limits, 77 Sunset Strip, Perry Mason, The Untouchables and Batman.
77 Sunset Strip with Ford Thunderbird cars, starring Efrem Zimbalist jr, Jeff Smith and Ed Byrnes ( Kookie lend me your comb) Why did Efrem think it was cool to smoke a pipe!
I was in Hunstanton, working at the TSB and had a week off and as luck would have it I managed to wangle a stay in a flat in Nottingham with a Hunstanton lad, I was travelling to Nottingham on the Sunday and asked if they would be watching "Batman" ( we did not get it in the Anglia region ), I was hopeful and I was right! The show was on at 1930 on Saturday night concluding on Sunday night at 1930, the episode featured the Clock King. I always like Batman after that, they way the show tried to copy the comic strip was excellent and no one ever got killed!
I was in the old Cattle Market car park on Saturday afternoon in my Cortina about 430pm and it was dark so winter time when a policeman wandered by and scrutinized my tax disc, he seemed to take forever looking at it and I expected a knock on the window but he just wandered off and we relaxed. The reason he was looking at it was that in the TV Times you often got a logo of the show above the programme name so it was like the Bat that was projected above Gotham City, I had cut it out and placed it on my tax disc!!
I think that just about covers the TV layer of our lives back then but I am sure you will remember others and I will have forgotten some as well!
Its a strange thought that of all the people on the planet no two people are exactly the same, sex, height, colour, hair or no hair, hair colour, eye colour etc and then there are our interests we are all individuals.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 20 Apr 2019, 04:08

I had been going to the Kit Kat from summer 1962 and in the autumn I was goin to start going to Lynn Tech' for which I would need a railway season ticket for the term which meant that I could use the ticket free at the weekend so most Saturdays I took an early train to Kings Lynn and spent the day walking round the town, usually the same route starting in Railway Road then down to Norfolk Street which was a T-junction then and Norfolk Street probably Lynn's 2nd most important shopping street, full of local shops until Marks and Spencer and always a hive of activity. At the High Street I was into Woolies then down to the Kenya Coffee Bar for a tea! on down the High Street and left into St James Street and then left into Tower Street and time for something to eat.
I liked Lynn the way it was in the early 60's a few national chain stores but also a good selection of local ones as well, Lynn was different, in fact all our towns and cities were different but today its a very different kettle of fish almost all of our towns and cities have had a makeover, a Mall or a precinct with the result that local shops have taken a huge hit, now its the same nationwide chains but appearing in a different order plus of course the charity shops. Is that progress, is what we really wanted? Life was much simpler back then but it worked, no going back of course we are always moving forward, but again all the old memories are still there for me it was part of the weekend that led to Sunday Night at the Kit Kat, some of the places that I remember do you? Some are still there some of have gone and some have tried to re invent themselves.

WH Smith, Boots, Woolworths, Kenya Coffee Bar, Whiskey-ago-go, Limberts, Lamberts, Burtons, John Collier, Hepworths, Alexandre, Nation Provincial bank, Westminster Bank, Martins Bank, Trustee Savings Bank, Midland Bank, Post Office, Wheelers, Home and Colonial Stores, Ladymans, Jermyns, Dewhurst, Victor Value, Radio rentals, DER, Rumbellows, Macfisheries, Tesco, Freeman Hardy Willis, Dolcis, Saxone, H Samuels, Currys, Dixons, Tandy, Wimpy. Macfisheries were in Hunstanton not sure if they were in Lynn as well.
I got my train back just after 5pm so was back in Hunstanton before 6pm and what was happening on Saturday night, several possibilities depending on the season and the weather, a party perhaps, the pictures, record dance at the Con club, the Country Club, down the prom or the fair, plenty to keep me amused, Sunday Nigh always took care of itself didn't it.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 20 Apr 2019, 09:12

Mac fisheries was in High street on the corner of Baker Ln. Macs did the best real smoked kippers a body could ask for. I can taste them now :)
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 27 Apr 2019, 03:19

Life was different in those Kit Kat days, the world seemed a much bigger place than today. When I lived in Mansfield and came to Wolferton it was about a 4 hour trip if lucky and there was only Lincolnshire between Notts and Norfolk so about 80-90 miles, it was a big trip much like Kings Lynn to London in 3 hours and today well under 2 hours!
So what about the brands and names we were used to using back then, some are still around today, some have survived but the world moves on, tastes change and not all made it like Kodak for instance, so here are a few of things we bought or used at the time, hope you will recall some of them and its not a definitive list you will probably remember others.
First then a couple of items that are still in all the shops here in Thailand, OMO and Carnation tinned milk.
Perfumes and the like from your bathroom. Brylcreme, Vaseline, Cossak, Trugel, Old Spice, Jade, Hi Karate, Brut, Tabac, Mennen skin Bracer ( still available in France), Imperial Leather, Nine Flags, Revlon Intimate, Tweed, Gardenia, Tabu and Chantilly.
Telephone Directories, Street lighting with all the telephone cables above the ground, same as the ones that ran next to the railway which was rather relaxing watching the cables rise and fall, I don't remember seeing them being taken down and put under the ground it just seemed to happen over night, goblins maybe.
Tv's from Pye, Ultra, Murphy, Ferguson, Dynatron, Marconi, Decca, Grundig, and G.E.C. Radios from the same companies as well.
Sunblest Bread and especially for the Kings Lynn area T.R. Wagg the baker., from Docking is he still at it?
John Bloom and his Twin Tub automatic Washing machine for just 39 guineas ( 39 pounds and 39 shillings).
Vesta Chops Suey and Chow Mein, just add water! Campbells condensed soups. Cheese, pineapple and silver onions on a stick, prawn cocktail, chicken, scampi or soup in a basket, quavers, Golden Wonder crisps. Smith's crisps, twiglets. Berni Inns, Wimps Bars.
Colgate fluoride toothpaste, pepsodent, Fairy Liquid, Bex Bissell, Green Shield stamps and S & H Pink stamps.
Cigarettes:- Players Weights, Wills Woodbine, Park Drive, Senior Service, Players Medium Navy Cut, Capstan, Gold Leaf, Embassy, Pall Mall, Lucky Strike, Camel, Peter Stuyvesant, Rothmans King Size, Consulate. Strand, Olympic, Benson & Hedges, Silk Cut, Hamlet.
Drinks, Carling Black label, Mann's Brown Ale, Watneys Red Barrel, Ind Coope Double Diamond, Whitbread best bitter, Babycham, Cherry B, Warnincks Advocaat, Egg Flip, Harveys Bristol Cream, Elizabethan Cream, Teachers Whiskey, Black tower, Blue Nun, Mateus Rose, Leibfraumilch, Lucozade.
Double 2 shirts, Banner, Crombie overcoats, Duffle Coats.
Here in Thailand every morning throughout the week we have "Good Morning Thailand" and it always ends with a live band, on Wednesday the bank were using a VOX AC 30 amp and Fender guitars ( Jaguars) all live as well better get it right no miming here!
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Apr 2019, 07:35

Great list Boston, I can remember my Nan using Omo, thought it was Looooong gone. Would love to have seen you eating soup in a basket, did it come with a fork as well :lol: (sorry couldn't resist that one!) Talking of Pepsodent, apparently there was a complaint from certain quarters over the jingle. ' you'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.' Can remember many of the other things you mention and what about Instant Whip? Keep the memories coming. T
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 27 Apr 2019, 11:10

Instant Whip was more the 70's but I di forget 2 local brewers you know you always do don't you, Bullards Beers and Steward and Patterson.
Soup in a Basket was always a good joke with the waitress as was Fish Fingers, still going strong,...………….."I did n't know fish had fingers!"
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Apr 2019, 11:41

You're right Boston, it was Angel Delight in the 60's. And a few more to be going on with.... Black Forest Gateau, Mary Berry's magic sponge mix ( the sauce 'magically' sank through the sponge mix) Ola, pink washing up liquid,Quix, Oxydol, Tide and Dreft washing powders and what about Green King ? The worst thing was (all the ladies will agree on this) the dreaded Twink perm! Stank the house out and left you looking as if you had a row of chipolatas on your head :lol: Could go on for ever remembering, but better not! T
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 04 May 2019, 03:20

For me it was easy to get down to the Kit Kat, all down hill to the Wimpy Bar then along the prom and on the way back always went up the Green before we said good byes and I turned along Northgate but people who had come further had different experiences, getting a bus or train to Hunstanton on a Sunday especially in the summer was not a problem, getting home was though. The last train left at about 2150 and put you into Lynn about 2220, at the time I could never understand why the last train did not go an hour later and get the Kit Kat business, I understand now that it was the staff that would have been kept on and the associated costs that ruled the day so anyone looking to get this last train had to leave at about 2140 to get to the station and missed 45 minutes of music and dancing. The last service 35 double decker to Lynn left the bus stop near the side of the Capital at 2230 so you would have had to leave the Kit Kat about 2215 to catch it, 55 seats and 8 standing on the Bristol coachworks double decker.
A lot came by car and passed us as we made our way up the Green, maybe you were one of those so what sort of car did you have then to arrive and depart? Here is a list of some of the cars that were about at the time.
Ford Anglia, Cortina ( I had a Cortina 1200 4 door deluxe, Imperial Maroon with an Ascot Grey roof), Consul Classic, Capri 109E and 113E, Corsair, Zephyr and Zodiac. Vauxhall Victor, Velox and Cresta. Singer Chamois and Gazelle. Hillman Imp, Californian, Husky and Minx. Sunbeam Rapier, Alpine and Tiger. Wolseley 1100, Hornet and 15/60. Jaguar E type and mkX. Austin Mini, A40 and Cambridge. Morris Mini, Minor, Oxford. Austin Healey 3000 and Sprit. MG MGB, Midget and Magnette. Truimph Herald, Vittesse and Spitfire, Morgan and Marcos, Lotus Elan and Elite. Rover 2000, 3 Litre and 3 Litre Coupe. Aston Martin DB5. Jensen Interceptor. Humber Sceptre and Super Snips, Renault, Peugeot, Bristol 404 and 406, TVR, Riley Elf, 1500 and Kestrel.
One of my friends from Heacham, his dad was manager of Barclays there one night borrowed his dad's Fiat 500 estate, 5 of us in it heading for Hunstanton, a good run at Red Gate Hill was a must as you could see the speed decrease as we went up, over the top at 30 mph! Somehow he took it onto the beach near the boating lake and hit a small gulley, we flew into the air and when we came down all the hub caps came off! Memories eh!
Another interesting note is the Ford list, the Cortina GT was a car to have wasn't it, sporty gear lever, rev counter and 4 more gauges and a top speed of 92 mph ( my 1200 was 77 mph) so if you had one you had street cred. The Capri 113E was also known as the Capri GT but had a top speed of 100 mph I thought it looked the bees knees and always fancied one, twin headlights and 5 stars across the grill, wings it looked like the real American cars of the time and it was the first car in the world to sport a GT badge. Whilst the Cortina had badges on the rear at the sides the Capri had one badge on the back right hand side.
I learnt to drive with the Brundle School of Motoring ( they taught in Hunstanton on Tuesday evenings ) and after I passed my test the instructor introduced me to red Cortina Gt which he insisted in taking me down the by-pass in, I queried if this was the sort of car a new driver should be driving and said I thought a Capri GT was what I really wanted. He told me the bosses wife had one but would not sell it! So that was that. A few years later it came up for sale at Brundle's ( I saw the advert in the Lynn News and knew this must be the one ). You will remember that the way cars were described in those days as "immaculate" or similar, this Capri was described as " eats sports cars for breakfast!" I laughed at that and have remembered it, well you would .
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 14 May 2019, 18:51

I was talking to my old chum Arfur Crown the other day, do you remember him 8 to the £. 240 pennies to the £, thrupence or threepence, sixpence or a tanner, shilling or a bob, a florin or 2 bob, a ten bob note, a quid or a £, a fiver or a five pound note!
He reminded me of tuppaware parties and the Avon lady dropping the magazine through the letter box, whats on a special this month.
He also reminded me of the time we went to a wife swapping party, he got a washing machine and I got a fridge!
I will be in Lynn tomorrow for my annual visit, the temperature sure is different here, its been nice this last few days and not the 45C I was getting before I flew back!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 08 Jun 2019, 14:27

It was nice to return to Lynn on the 15th of last month, have a walk round in my memories, where Wheelers were, where was the Kenya Coffee Bar and the like, the John Collier shop over the road from Debenhams, well it was Jermyns then wasn't it but its also good to see that Limberts is still going strong and also the chip shop in Blackfriars Road ( I took them to St James Park to polish them off and very good they were too!). M & S still there of course but I do wonder if it will resist the competition from Primark, only the food seems to keep them going and to think at one time it was were most ladies went for their lingerie!

Well the weather was good and although I did not manage to catch up with Nigel it is always a nice trip on the train, the return was not so good, someone got on and immediately fell ill to prevent our departure and my train back only made it as far as Cambridge! Still the Night Riviera beat that when it broke down half an hour before Plymouth you can never tell what is going to happen next sometimes and I certainly had a few interesting journeys one way or another and I did travel over 4000 miles whilst back as well on the rails but the worst of all was yet to come.

I flew back with BA on the 5th June due to arrive in Bangkok at 1045 on D Day, we passed the Concorde as we taxied for take off so that was great good bye and the crew on board were good in fact the flight was very good until we to got to Bangkok and the pilot informed us that the gate we had been advised to dock at had a Air France plane there, how could the controllers not know? I had to wait 30 minutes for a bus to take us to arrivals and when I got there the queues were the biggest I have ever seen, but, because of my senior citizen status I was let into the priority lane, 45 minutes later I escaped! That was after having my photo and finger prints taken! But wait the worst is yet to come! I have to collect my baggage on carousel 21, I walked from number 9 all the carousels as full and nobody is collecting as they are all at Immigration having their photos and fingerprints taken! As I arrive I find that the cases are stacked up one on top of the other, either I have to lean and lift, not easy or try and drag a case from underneath and hope the handle is in the right position, luckily a lad from the airport appeared to give me a hand but not before I strained my side. The organization at the airport was awful and nobody seemed to be in control or have any idea how to resolve the situation and more planes are arriving all the time. This is the low season I cannot imagine what its going to be like from November onwards! Funny to think that when I went to the Kit Kat flying was never on my mind neither was going abroad, funny old world eh, predicting the future if only you could.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Jun 2019, 07:31

Hunstanton beach.

8 boston square

Postby EWW » 15 Jun 2019, 07:37

Is that pose where Antony Gormley got his inspiration for beach sculpture from Boston? :)
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Jun 2019, 14:00

This photo of me was taken on Hunstanton beach under the famous cliffs, taken I reckon in late spring 1963, there are 2 stories with this picture, well 3 really but one is not for a family audience. What is it they say a picture is worth a thousand words?
So the first story is about the shoes, winkle pickers, first a word of warning do not ever play football in winkle pickers it was a nightmare when shooting!

I had been all round Peterborough and Lynn looking for the sharpest pair of winkle pickers I could find and I finally the pair in Freeman, Hardy Willis on a Saturday afternoon in Lynn after calling at every shoe shop in town. Once purchased I had to make sure the point did not collapse by ramming cotton wool up the sharp end, remember that trick? Now I had my dancing shoes to go with my Cuban heel boots I was now ready for action all I had to do was practice walking in them and then twisting the night away. Winkle pickers not in fashion for that long before being edged out in the fashion stakes by Chisel toes a fashion I did not go for at all.
The jacket is another story altogether, I had gone to Peterborough for the weekend to stay with my brother, he was managing the John Collier shop in Bridge Street, I got there mid morning in April I think Gerry and the Pacemakers were top of the charts with "How do you do it." For those of you who were not familiar John Collier was a tailoring concern similar to Burtons and also based in Leeds. So, I said I am looking for Beatles jacket what have you got...…….nothing John Collier rightly viewed it as fad that would be gone like the wind in short order and they were right but I still wanted a Beatle jacket so were can I get one, the staff told me there was a shop in the Broadway but also added that by the time I got there it would be out of fashion! Long walk then. I went found the shop and the result you see, for readers who like to view in colour the jacket was royal blue cord with a foam lining, I thought I was the bees knees but soon to join the out crowd as fashions change so quickly, I reckon I would have been coming up to 16 at the time.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 23 Jun 2019, 12:22

8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.