Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby EWW » 19 Aug 2018, 09:08

I too watched it recently and the speeded up scenes was like watching the old keystone cops films. :)

The main cast were as follows plus a few also rans.

Stanley Baker
Herbert Lom
Peggy Cummings
Patrick McGoohan
William Hartnell
Wilfrid Lawson
Sid James
Jill Ireland
Alfie Bass
Gordon Jackson
David McCallum
Sean Connery

Jill Ireland was married to that man from uncle, David McCullum. She divorced McCullum and married Charles Bronson.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 21 Aug 2018, 03:23

Its an interesting cast isn't it, I thought Stanley Baker might have got the James Bond roll but a young and inexpensive Sean Connery got it, he 6 Bond films for the Official outfit and one unofficial certainly him famous and no doubt got him other parts as well, but what of the others, they did not do to bad either!
Patrick McGoohan went on to become Dangerman and the Prisoner and popped a few times on the big screen, who remembers a very different MI6 agent in Ice Station Zebra? David Macallum went to be the Man from Uncle with Robert Vaughn, William Hartnell became Dr Who, Gordon Jackson went Upstairs and Downstairs before running the Professionals, Sid James teamed with Tony Hancock and appeared in 19 Carry On films. Peggy Cummins and Alfie turned up in just everything, I think they came as a job lot from the agent with the one name that is missing off the list that seemed to turn up everywhere at the time, I thought Alfie Bass and Sam Kydd were joined at the hip. Forgot to mention Herbert Lom, Inspector Dreyfus in the Pink Panther series with Peter Sellers and his 30 minute black and white show for Associated Redifusion…...The Human Jungle.

The speeded up lorries were fooling no one but the other thing I remember was when the lorries stopped how quickly the drivers got through the door after the engine died, memories eh! They don't make em like that nowadays.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 21 Aug 2018, 09:17

I know we are off topic a bit but I think Alfie Bass (born Abraham Basalinsky) should get a mention for taking over and being
a great success on the West End stage musical Fidler on the Roof. I first remember him as "Lemmy" in the radio show Journey
into space. It was a must for any kid in the fifties.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 23 Aug 2018, 14:58

I don't think we worry too much about getting off topic, life takes off different roads from time to time, its part of our past and memories, we look back with affection and we think yes I remember that, like part of the wallpaper of our lives, the music takes us back, different aromas the same. 1960 "Sink the Bismark" Alfie Bass "I wish someone would throw crumpet at me!" Seems like yesterday and they don't make films like that today, but, it stands the test of time, the way we were in1960, just think what it was like then and how it is now, some things better some things not but we are where we are, we look back with a smile great times we lived through and the future well who knows what is in store for us. I think the best music is behind us, we saw it emerge and enjoyed it and as for the future?

I didn't invent this world I just live in it.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 25 Aug 2018, 11:43

Its June 1963, President Kennedy is in Berlin on a morale boosting visit after the erection of the Berlin Wall, 26th of June. On the 4th June, Pan AM ( Pan American Airways ) confirmed its intention to buy Concordes for its fleet and on the 5th John Profumo ( Minister for War ) resigns after telling lies in the Sex Scandal involving Christine Keeler, Dr Stephen Ward amongst others.
The top ten in the hit parade went like this. Gerry and the Pacemakers were straight in at number 1 with " I Like it."2. Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas with "Do you want to know a secret?" at 3 The Beatles with "From me to you." 4. Ray Charles with "Take these Chains from my heart."5. The first offering from Manchester, former milkman and now "Freddie and the Dreamers with "If you've got to make fool of somebody." and at 6 its our old friends The Shadows with "Atlantis." Another Liverpudlian at 7 its Billy Fury with "When will you say I love you." At 8 another of those amazingly inexplicable entries which you blame Mum and Dad for...….Wink Martindale with his "Deck of cards." 9. Jet Harris and Tony Meehan still hanging in there with "Scarlett O'Hara.: and at 10, cant keep a good man down and a Kit Kat track its Cliff Richard with "Lucky Lips."
On 3rd Pope John XX111 dies and on the 25th George Michael was born.

16th June saw the first woman in space and on the 18th the big heavyweight clash at Wembley where Henry Cooper almost dumps Cassius Clay with a left hook in the 4th round, Clay was saved by the bell. Clay came back in the next round and Coper was stopped by the referee with a cut eye.
This was also a great time for Freddie Trueman, Yorkshire and England fast bowler who overtook Brian Statham's record haul of 242 test wickets, they did not play as much cricket in those days.

So a few more memories of the time when we strutting our stuff, the world was young, you probably thought you had a job for life if you wanted it and nothing seemed impossible, they were good times
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 25 Aug 2018, 14:56

I was at the Clay Cooper fight and the 5th round round Henry looked like he had been cut up with a chainsaw. There was blood from
the top of his head to the soles of his boots. Carnage. Angelo Dundee admited many years later he slit Clay's glove with a razor so
it had to be changed to give Clay more time to recover from the left hook Henry hit him with in the 4th.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Sep 2018, 04:49

1st July 1963 and more embarrassment for the British Government, as if the Profumo scandal was not enough now Kim Philby named as the third spy in the Portland spy ring affair along with Burgess and MacLean, he disappeared in Beirut and re surfaced some time later in Moscow.
3rd July Britain to adopt European style road signs
Margaret Smith becomes the first Australian woman to win Wimbledon on the 8th.
14th July I break up from Lynn Tech for the summer holidays!
26th July a huge earthquake in Skopje in the former Yugoslavia with 1000 dead and hundreds of thousands made homeless.
The music of the time, a few Kit Kat favourites here but NOT the number 1, its that Suave Aussie Frank Ifield with "I'm Confessin." at 2 , that more like it its Gerry and the Pacemakers with "I Like it.", The Shads at 3 with :Atlantis." The King is 4 with "Devil in Disguise." At 5 we have the Crystals with "Da Do Ron Ron." Ray Charles is still hanging in there at 6 with "take these Chains from my Heart." the shape of things to come at 7 as the Searchers hit the top 10 with "Sweets for my Sweet." At 8 Wink Martindale wont go away with his "Deck of Cards." Whilst at 9 we have gentleman Jim Reeves with "Welcome to my World." ( I preferred the Elvis version) and shoring up the 10 at number 10 its Lesley Gore with "Its my Party." Strangely enough this morning I heard the Lesley Gore track being used here in Thailand as backing to a commercial advertising some local product, now who would have thought that!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 08 Sep 2018, 04:49

We move into August 1963, the season is in full swing in Hunstanton and I am working at the Sandringham, re stocking the bars and free entry to the Sunset Rooms which are open very night often with a live group playing to a small audience, this was soon to change and the juke box wheeled in, sadly.

7th August the Profumo affair trial continues and some of the witnesses admit perjury, 8th saw the signing of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and today we are being recommended to travel and holiday in Bikini Atoll where the Americans used to do their tests, looks nice but how safe is it?
Also on the 8th was the evening of "The Great Train Robbery" a Royal Mail Train carrying 2.6m was stopped and the bags of used notes thrown over a bridge to a waiting lorry and driven away all in 30 minutes near Bletchley.
On he 28th Martin Luther King told us of his dream and on the 30th the "Hot Line" was set between the White House and the Kremlin.
Whitney Houston was born on the 9th and so to this music of the month and as usual some favourites of a Sunday Night at the Kit Kat coming as well! Leading the pack Liverpool's number 2 group The Searchers with "Sweets for my Sweet" has knocked Frank Ifield''s "I'm Confessin". down to number 2 and at 3 its the Beatles with their EP "Twist and Shout." could never understand why they never released this track as a single it would surely have topped the charts. Another Lennon/Mcartney song at 4 "Bad to Me" from Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas and 5 Brian Poole and the Tremeloes with "Twist and Shout" I like this quicker version. Number 6 see another Liverpudlian in Billy Fury with "In Summer". The King is at 7 with "Devil in Disguise". whilst at 7 the Surfaris roll in with "Wipe out". great track this with a superb guitar solo in the middle. The Manchester milkman is at 9 with "I'm Telling you Now" and at 10 another one of those oddities that I don't remember and I bet not many of you do either Ken Thorne and his orchestra with "The Legions Last Patrol".
The Searchers first album "Its the Searchers" was a brilliant LP running the Beatles "Please Please Me" s lose second, all terrific tracks and a must for parties at the time, with these 2 LP's you could not go wrong and it threw up a number of tracks for a Sunday Night, like "farmer John and "Love Potion Number 9". The Searchers got their name from the western film starring John Wayne, who like Elvis Presley were never seen at the Kit Kat
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 08 Sep 2018, 08:00

Legions last patrol was a good tune, taken from the film of the same name, starring Stewart Granger.
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Sep 2018, 04:55

Its September and it might as well rain until then, well that what its like here in the rainy season but back in 1963 GB what was in the news?
Remember Burgess and Maclean the 2 defecting spies who went over to Moscow? Guy Burgess dies on the 1st, on the 9th Jim Clark becomes the F1 world champion ( the season goes on now until November!). In those days races started with drivers running to their cars and they sure looked very different to todays.
On the 10th American Express became available after it had been going 5 years in the US. It was not the first in the UK though Diners Club had been around before but it was not catching on, well the charge card business has certainly made up for lost time, who uses cheques these days? Not many the c/book seems to have its days numbered.
On the 26 the Denning report points the finger at PM MacMillan after Government whitewashes for ministers in recent security breaches and Mac's poor judgement of who to believe, which would eventually be his downfall.
On the 29th The Rolling Stones up and coming rock n roll band from Dartford open a Tour of the UK by the Everly Brothers, others on the show included Bo Didley who it is said heavily influenced the bands early tracks and so to the music of the month and some good stuff here and as usual a few from Sunday Night to boot.
The Beatles are top with "She Love You' with Cliff at number 2 with "Its All in The Game". Number 3 Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas with "Bad to Me" and at 4 one of my favourites husband and wife team Steve Lawrence and Eddie Gorme with "I want to Stay Here", at 5 its those London Rockers with the eye patch Johnnnie Kidd and the Pirates with "I'll Never Get Over You" followed by the Manchester Milkman at 6 Freddie and the Dreamers with "I'm Telling You Now" At 7 straight from the Tornadoes its Heinz Burt and "Just Like Eddie" ( Cochran that is) and at 8 another very pleasant number from the Caravelles "You don't have to be a Baby to Cry". Jet Harris and Tony Meehan are back to 9 with "Applejack" and propping up the top ten are The Barking Butcher and his mates Brian Poole and the Tremeloes with "Do You Love Me" Yes we do Brian you were just great.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 15 Sep 2018, 08:57

Really enjoy your posts boston but these Saturdays do not half come round quick. Some good memories awakened there. Thanks again.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 25 Sep 2018, 04:57

Its October the 1st, 1963 and the new Labour Leader, Harold Wilson makes a veiled speech about the power of the Unions which no one seemed to take on board. Also, on this date The Algerians started to nationalize French property in the country. 10th saw Harold Macmillan resign as PM after 6 1/2 years following revelations in the Profumo scandle and on the 31st its confirmed that Beatlemania is sweeping the country, they appear on Sunday Night at the London Palladium with many streets having to be closed because of the crowds, I remember it well and Beat the Clock!
So to the music of the month and its another good bunch as well.
At number 1 its Brian Poole and the Tremeloes with "Do you love me?" followed at 2 with the Crystals with "Then he Kissed me", The Beatles are at 3 with "She loves you." and at 4 we have Trini Lopez and his "Hammer", Number 5 is Roy Orbison with "Blue Bayou" and back after a while its Adam Faith with "The first time.", Gerry and the Pacemakers are at 7 with "You'll never walk alone" and the Shads are 8 with "Shindig" ( not one of my favourites), 9 we have Shirley Bassey " I who have nothing" and at 10 Jet and Tony with "Applejack".
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 29 Sep 2018, 02:59

A few posts ago EWW mentioned a part Alfie Bass played in radio show called "Journey into Space". although it was before the time of the Kit Kat I also remember this show. It first aired in 1953 (!!!) on a Sunday night on what was then the BBC Light programme ( Radio 2 as it is today) there were several series and is was eventually done in 17 languages. The hero was Jet Morgan and was played aby several actors over time mainly by Andrew Faulds and David Jacobs and another voice of the time instantly recognizable was Deryck Guyler, 730 to 800 was the broadcast time and remember a story about an Australian sheep farm on the Moon or was it Mars? This was ground breaking radio at its very best.

Prior to this was a show from Radio Luxembourg (207m MW) "Dan Dare Pilot of the Future" weeknights at 715pm I remember cosing up to the speaker for this 15 minute show sponsored by Horlics it taken from the "Eagle" comic and featured Digby Dan's mate, a man lived on steak and kidney puddings!

Life was very simple then and we were easily pleased but good memories non the less.

I am flying back to the UK on Sunday night, perhaps I will find some more memories to share whilst I am there, will be back here 19th October so November 1963 will wait until then, it was a notable month dominated by one event.

Until then talk amongst yourselves.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 29 Sep 2018, 09:05

Don't tell me you did not listen to "Blair of the Mounties" cracking show. Great song used to accompany it that went something like this.
See the mounties riding through the rocky mountains see their horses brown and black and grey. And thats all I can remember. The
accumalator would run out about then :D
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 02 Oct 2018, 08:24

I remember Renfrew of the Mounties but not Blair.
My first visits to Wolferton I think would have been about 1954/55 and what a difference to what I was used to! Population was about 80-90 some young about my age and others a bit older who used to go out into the area on Saturday nights, transport my motorcycle, it was interesting listening to what they got up to! I also remember that the village had a "club" for an evening drink and a post office but that was about it, travelling shops came round on different nights for groceries, non food, butcher and on Friday night the mobile chip shop! It was here where I first saw the "club" book for people to shop without going into Lynn, the names I remember Gratton, Freemans, Empire and Littlewoods, you paid over 20 weeks, 52 weeks and 1o4 weeks for expensive items, just about everything could be bought from these books and at the same price as in the shops in Lynn for wherever thanks to RPM, Retail Price Maintenance a cosy arrangement where suppliers had a recommended retail price and retailers had to sell at that price or they would not be supplied. The system was disbanded by law in 1964 and looked for discounts for my cigs, not much change as most of the cost was tax so 2d or 3d was the best I could get until I went to Peterborough where there was a supermarket which knocked 6d off, 6d off 4 and 6. They also sold herbal versions which were about 1/- less but they had a unusual aroma which attracted attention so one packet was enough to get the message. Shops generally opened at 0900 and closed at 530pm and in Lynn on Wednesday the shops closed at 1pm ( half day closing). Imagine being back at that time and being able to see what things are like today just on the shop front who would have thought the times would change, the type of shops that have come and gone and how would they have got their head round internet shopping, mobile phones and Sat Navs!

If the Kit Kat were still there the bands would still be playing the same instruments and the amps would look the same, the suits might have gone but some of the tracks would still be there, The Kit Kat might have changed its name but would there still be an audience?
8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.