Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 26 May 2018, 07:32

Now about half way through my trip back to the UK, had a nice but windy day in Lynn and met up with Nigel where an hour went by like minutes, funny how time plays tricks like that when you are spending quality time with friends, same time, same place next year then?
Last night I watched the Cliff Richard Story, some great memories of the lad, I miss things like that in the far east so it was good it co-insided with my annual visit and someone else I spotted yesterday at the cricket ( not going well at Lords ) was another of our heroes from the Kit Kat tunes the one and only Bruce Welch. In our youth who would have thought pop icons like Bruce Welch and Mick Jagger would turn out to be big cricket fans, when did that happen, Was it always there but did not come out because it was not cool? It was for me, love the sports we gave the world not forgetting the music, something we should all be proud of.
My first Saturday back I went to Portsmouth to the Royal Navy Museum, on the 15th I went to Colchester and met a couple Ghurkhas, I always make a point of thanking our servicemen and women when I see them and today I go with my daughter to the RAF Museum, I used to take her when she was small and always loved it, today for £10 we will be able to sit in a mk9 Spitfire.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 02 Jun 2018, 21:25

Friday night I watched a programme about the Everly Brothers, you will remember that although being voted top world group on the trot from 1958 to 1962 we never heard the Offbeats and Danny sing any of their numbers which was a pity because they had some great songs and walking round the Mart without hearing any did not seem right.
It was a good show on BBC 4 I think look out for a re-run you will not be disappointed but the thing that I remember most about the show was a memory from Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones. It was 1963 and the Everly Brothers were headlining one of those travelling pop shows, the Stones had been signed before they hit the charts and were way down the bill but when the tour started the music trend had changed and it was the Stones who were getting all the noise. According to Keith the brothers came to see the Stones having noticed how trends had changed and switched the Stones to headline the show, Keith said he was amazed at the gesture and yes the Stones were big fans too.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 09 Jun 2018, 07:36

Just a little follow on from last week about the Everly Brothers and anyone spot over time anything unique about them? Any of the guitarists out there spot anything about their guitars?
They both played Gibson guitars and always acoustic ones is my memory, but, there was something very unusual about their guitars did anyone spot what it was?
The answer is the size, they asked Gibson to make them 3/4 size guitars after Gibson said they did not make them but the Everlys insisted on having 3/4 size guitars, now go and have a look and see if you see it.
Still think Danny Ford and the Offbeats should have covered some of the hits of the Everly Brothers, "Cathy's Clown" maybe?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 16 Jun 2018, 10:22

I have now returned from my travels in the UK, well England actually, hardly any rain, wind or sun so as well as could be expected on that front and with the bonus of no flies or mosquitos not a bad result.
I came to Lynn on the 16th, trains ran to time as well and met Nigel for an hour as we chatted over old times and his latest holidays, he does not sit still and is in as good a health as can be expected for his age, non of us are in training for the next Olympics are we? I hope not!!
I did have a question for him and that was what were the favourite numbers of the band and this took some thinking about but the answer in the end was not so surprising but came in two parts, let me explain.
Most of the favourite tracks were from Chuck Berry which was hardly a surprise, we got a lot of them and I had never heard of him before I went to the Kit Kat so they had a big influence on Danny Ford and the Offbeats, you can just about take your pick from them.
So, the second part, well the musicians out there would get this that it depended which instrument you played for instance lead guitar might like "Johnnie B. Goode" for chance to show off your plectrum plying style, Les Judd might have liked to strum the chords to "Walk Dont Run" or "Perfidia" , Nick might have liked "36-24-36" for Nigel it was anything he could get the drums going to as you might imagine.
All for now so toodle pip!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 16 Jun 2018, 12:59

So glad you enjoyed your trip back to Blighty Boston. Keep the memories coming.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 23 Jun 2018, 17:28

When I returned from the UK I brought back with me a couple of little gems from the past you may have come across them, I found them some years ago in charity shops, a small book called "The Golden Years 1961" I would have been 15 then, going out with a girl called Sandra whose Dad ran a shop next door to the Capital Cinema in Hunstanton, I was into football and pop music not forgetting pinball machines. I knew where the Kit Kat was but was about a year away from experiencing the delights that were to come.
I liked 1961, the weather was good and Sandra was lovely, I wonder what happened to her she used to go to Kings Lynn High School for girls and then went to Wymondham College and I lost track of her, hope life turned out ok for her and looking through my book I can see in the charts some tracks I would hear with Danny Ford and the Offbeats the following year. In January "Save the Last Dance for me." and "Perfidia" In February "Your'e sixteen" and "FBI".
March saw the E Type Jaguar appear 2196 pounds what a car for the time and it still looks good, had 3 windscreen wipers.
In April another couple of tracks, "Exodus" by Ferrante and Teicher remember them? Neither do I but I remember the Offbeats playing it, as I do "Theme for a dream." April was also the time Cliff Richard started work on " The Young Ones."
Spurs won the Double and in May and June we had "Frightened City" from the TV show starring Herbert Lom.
September gave us "Kon Tiki" not one of my favourites, it was also a good year for Del Shannon although we did not hear much of him at the Kit Kat did we?
Mothercare opened and now its closed.
October gave us "When the girl in your arms." Surprisingly, I did not remember this, Margaret Thatcher given the appointment of Parliamentary Private Secretary.
November gave us another Kit Kat classic in the form of "His Latest Flame" and over in the US the Everly Brothers joined the Marines and for 6 months were their recruiting symbol.
Hope you enjoyed that look back to 1961, seems like only yesterday doesn't it? Times were simple then but we made it work and work well.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 30 Jun 2018, 05:48

I always recall that the dress code for the Kit Kat was "smart" everyone I knew or saw wore a suit and tie apart from one who wore a sports jacket, smoked a pipe and wore a dickie bow so perhaps that redeemed him! The dress code for all the local bands was the same "smart" usually a suit and matching, I know the Offbeats adhered to this standard and were happy to do that, nationally it was the same apart from the odd one like Johnnie Kidd and his band, it was the way we were then and when I went to work for John Collier in I think late 1968 this was what I saw there most people wore suits. Holiday times people would come in and order a suit for the holidays plus a sports jacket, Harris Tweed or Blazer and slacks and that had been going on for years. If you wanted shoes you usually went to Saxone, Dolcis or Freeman Hardy Willis all part of the British Shoe Corporation and like John Collier all gone now. Never saw trainers, trackies, hoodies or the like.

I think things started to change in 1965 I remember seeing the Swinging Blue Jeans singing "Your'e No Good." they appeared in jeans and blue and white T shirts all matching but by the end of the sixties bands were beginning to dress in a different way, "Bay City Rollers", "Mud", "Showaddwaddy", "Queen" looked as if they just finished doing a bit of DIY and then there was "ABBA" with those outrageous costumes. as Bjorn famously said "nothing was outrageous enough!" Audiences wanted more than the music, a light show and with ABBA several changes to those costumes, it was still fun and did not distract too much from the music, unlike today when I see scantily clad females crawling about the stage and in most cases trying to divert the audience from the lack of singing talent and catchy songs from being exposed.
I think we had it good when we were young, we had it right, almost everything was a pleasure to be involved in, with just the Lynn News to tell us what was going on or word of mouth it was a simple but happy life, thats how I remember things anyway, perhaps that the way I want to remember things and it was not really as wonderful as the picture painted, "rose tinted specs"? It was certainly less stressful then, not forgetting there was no "health and Safety" or "political correctness." You looked after your own safety and had the freedom of speech which seems so sadly lacking today, yes they were indeed good times, we are lucky to have experienced them.
Out here in the Far East its the same a simple but happy life, if things dont get done today then there is tomorrow, sometimes a bit annoying when we have become accustomed to getting things done straight away but I soon relax into the way it is here, down to the coast on Monday for 6 nights something to look forward to, a time to get away from the simple life and relax even more than usual, think of me on the beach eating barbequed king prawns before taking another dip and then maybe a quick nap.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 08 Jul 2018, 11:41

I wonder if any of you out there get a ringing in your ears these days? I used to be aware of a ringing noise in my ears when I walked up the Green after a night at the Kit Kat, next day it had gone and everything was fine. I never used to stand at the front close to the amps and with all those bodies in the way to baffle much of the sound never thought too much of it, but it builds up over time and when I moved to London in the early 70's and used the Tube regularly from the mid 80's you got battered by load noises. On the Victoria Line they tried to cut down the noise by putting a small platform along each side of the tunnel to try and keep the sound underneath, I would not say it was much of a success. The Victoria is the fastest line and generates a lot of noise which is why they tried it out, tight bends also create a lot of screeching. I was using the tube for over 20 years so that built on my Kit Kat experiences, in the end you end up with what is called tinnitus, a back ground hissing in the ears which is always there. often having ask people to repeat things.
I expect that most musicians suffer from this but never let on and would certainly not stop playing but they stand in front of their amps all the time.
Load noise is the culprit, no one tells you about it until its too late and I dont guess that anyone knows what decibels are generated by different things at what time exposure hearing damage starts to occur, most people will never see a decibel meter, I only saw one once and not close enough to be allowed to read it ( at work)! So to give you an idea normal speech is 65db, a Jet at 100 feet is 135 and 15 seconds would be your limit. The maximum safe level is 85db which is like city traffic.
An underground train typically is 95 db but can vary. Peak rock music could go as high at 150db, not that Danny Ford and the Offbeats ever got near that but I have been nert to so called music, perhaps I should say in the vicinity likely not by my wishes and have heard distortion in my ears, you start to feel pain at 125db and the Jet I mentioned earlier needs a bit more explanation. It comes towards you with an ever increasing sound, the peak as it passes you, 135db, the sound changes as it goes away and decreases. The coming sound and departing sound is different its called the doppler affect, you can hear it with anything that passes you, cars, trains, buses, motorbikes.
Well if you suffer from the same thing as I now you know what it is and where it stared, those musical evening of our youth, would not have missed it though would we but knowing what we know now maybe just stood a bit further away!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 13 Jul 2018, 11:12

Whilst I was with Nigel in Lynn last May he told me he had taken part in the "Bert Bradshaw Show" at the Princess Theatre in Hunstanton and I know he was pleased to take part, this was at the end of January I think. Its important for local communities not to forget part of their history, Bert was a s much a part of the Kit Kat as were Danny Ford and the Offbeats.
I remember in the late 50's, 1959 I think I used to pay a shilling to hire a canoe on the boating lake and often saw the rolly polly character playing on an island at the Kit Kat end of the boating lake, I often wondered how he got onto the island, a crane most likely!
The Princess Theatre at Hunstanton, which I knew as the Capitol Cinema, do have a superb calender of events which deserve support, I see this coming Sunday 15th they have an ABBA night, if I were there I would be there, never been to a bad ABBA yet, always left with a spring in my step and a feel good in my factor inside, they should be on the NHS for people who are depressed.
Later in the year, Sunday 7th of October they have Jimmy Jemain and the Rapiers as Cliff Richard and the Shadows, have seen this combination and its really good, as we used to have a lot of Cliff and the Shads on a Sunday night way back I recommend this a show not to be missed you will be amazed just how good they sound and look, for one night you will be back in the 1960's.
I will be back in the UK at this time but have a previous engagement with my older brother in Weymouth, Sunday Roast and then I have to take him to the pub, can't think why.
I do love these musical events though, we don't have them in Thailand, well certainly not in my part anyway so I envy anyone who can make it to the Princess Theatre.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 21 Jul 2018, 06:53

Time to have a look at my "Golden Years" for 1963 but we must first set the scene from the end of the old year of 1962. I had been going to the Kit Kat since July 1962 never missing a Sunday, on the 22nd December the temperatures plummeted and on the 26th the snow started to fall, the coldest winter since 1814 was about to start and the thaw would start until March 6th. I came a cropper a few times with all that ice and snow about but at 16/17 you recover quickly not like today when it seems to take forever to get over a fall so today as result of a painful accident in 2011 I decided I would not do winters anymore and move somewhere warmer till the weather got better!
The Tornados were top of the charts with "Telstar" as the year of 1963 opened, "Telstar" was the name of the Satellite which beamed the first tv pictures across the Atlantic to Goonhilly Downs in Cornwall, I remember watching the event in black and white of course!
"Telstar" had left the charts by mid month and the Shadows with "Dance on" were top, Elvis was at 2 with "Return to Sender", Cliff at 3 with "The Next Time" and at 4 with "Bachelor Boy." at 5 "Dance with the Guitar Man" Duane Eddy, who remembers Maureen Evans with "Like I do"? she was at number 6 and at 10 another Kit Kat track Jet Harris and Tony Meehan with "Diamonds."
January was the month that General De Gualle said "NON" to UK membership of the EEC and the BBC relaxed censorship rules with a new late night programme on Saturday called "That was the week that was." Full of satire with David Frost, Roy Kinnear, Willie Rushton and Millicent Martin amongst others.
The Russians told us they a 100 megaton nuclear weapon and Kruschev predicted a nuclear war would claim 800 million casualties. I can remember every Saturday the sirens were tested at Heacham at 1200 at Hunstanton at 1300 to give us 4 minutes warning of a Soviet attack.
Well. I hope that has brought back a few memories of the time, next week I will take a look at February the month the Beatles came zooming up the charts.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 28 Jul 2018, 03:35

January 11th 1963 was the day "Please Please Me" by the Beatles was released, it would not reach number 1 until the mid February time according to the New Musical Express and Melody Maker ( 6d and 9d respectively), the music industry took note of the Record Mirror ( 6d) for chart compilations and the RM said that the track only reached number 2 so was never officially a million selling number 1 single, but, as most young people read the NME as far as the young were concerned it was a million selling single and after the success a follow up LP with the same name was immediately called for and came out in April 1963. If you had a party after April 1963, this LP was always there and later the Searchers first album "Its the Searchers" was a great 2nd album for the night, could not fail, just stack them on the auto changer and away you go.
Another little known fact here is that "Please Please Me" is attributed to Lennon-McCartney that is a fact, however, the song was written by John Lennon alone at his Auntie's house.
So lets have a look in my little book "The Golden years of 1963 and see what was happening in February. The top ten features a few we would have been familiar with upstairs:-
1 Diamonds by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan. 2. Wayward Wind by Frank Ifield. 3. Little Town Flirt by Del Shannon. Please Please Me by the Beatles. 5 Globetrotter by the Tornados. 6 Bachelor Boy by Cliff Richard. 7 Loop De Loop by Frankie Vaughan.8. Don't you Think its time by Dave Berry. 9. The Night has Thousand Eyes by Bobby Vee and at 10 All alone am I by Brenda Lee.
Harold Wilson is elected leader of the Labour Party and the new Boeing 727 4 engine jetliner takes its first test flight, the cold snap continues but the month really was all about the Beatles, the music scene was changing, no lead singer. 4 lads who could all sing, little or no guitar solo in the tracks and writing a lot of their own material, the musical order was changing. I was sorry to see the old go but welcomed in the new. Elvis had re signed with RCA how would be survive with the new sound in Town, Same for Cliff and the Shads, who saw this coming?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 04 Aug 2018, 04:35

March 1963 started off real cold but the thaw started on the 6th and the end of the coldest winter I can remember was at last coming to an end, looking back the Kit Kat must have been very happy with the attendees over that period, people made a real effort not to miss a Sunday Night, not forgetting the bands of course it would have been easy to say cant make it, sorry! But always Danny Ford and the Offbeats up stairs and a guest group downstairs.
I remember we did not have many holidays when I lived in Hunstanton, well we lived by the sea so it always like a holiday I guess but I do remember we had a blue case, royal blue, in those days cases did not have wheels, what a brilliant idea to put wheels on them makes life much easier today!
In the charts in March a good selection of what we would have shaking a leg to, makes me tired just thinking about dancing now, "Summer Holiday" was at the top with "Please Please Me." at number 2, Billy Fury was at 3 with "Like I've Never Been Gone and Joe Brown and the Bruvers at 4 with "thats What Love will Do. One of my favourites at number 5 "The Night has a Thousand Eyes with Bobby Vee. The Shadows and "Foot Tapper" at 6, Remember the Springfields? "Isalnd of Dreams" were at 7, Frank Ifeield still making the charts at 8 with "The Wayward Wind" and the Bachelors at 9 with "Charmaine" and just so you dont forget he is still around Elvis was 10 with "One Broken Heart for sale".

in 1963 we did not have a Defence Secretary we had The Secretary of State for War and his name was John Profumo do you recall the scandle with the Russian Attache and Christine Keeler ("Well he would say that wou;dn't he") and the picture of her naked sitting on a chair so that the back of the chair covered everything you wanted to see? Also in the same month Kim Filby disappeared and later surfaced in Moscow, he was the 3rd spy in the Portland Spy story, caught passing the secrets of the UK's first nuclear submarine HMS "Dreadnought" to the Russians. A spy ring ring that was only discovered by accident when The Krugers from Canada were found to be Russians who had assumed the peronas of the Canadian couple and were finally expossed when health records showed that Kruger was circumized and the one in situ was not ( or was it the other way round ?) A well rehearsed back ground that fell on this one crucial point.

Alcatraz prison closed and on March 27th Dr Richard Beeching revealed his report on the future of British Railways, 67500 railway peole would lose their jobs and country railways of the UK would be decimated, there was uproar of course but implementation started in 1964, if only he and the Government of the day knew now have things have unravelled would they still have made such swingeing cuts? One of the worst things that happened as a result of the cuts is that somewhere along all the routes closed very quickly a house or housese were built so it made the decision very hard to reverse.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 11 Aug 2018, 06:57

April 1963 Saw Winston Churchill given American citizenship by President John F Kennedy for co-ordinating and inspring the allied war effort in WW2 whilst here in the UK with overnight popularity of the Beatles all eyes and ears turned towards Merseyside and the "Merseybeat sound". Brian Epstein the owner of a record store in Liverpool, North End Music Store, signed the Beatles up for "NEMS he also signed up Gerry and the Pacemakers, Bilyl J Kramer and the Dakotas, the Fourmost and Cilla Black. Another band of the time and place I liked were The Big Three-remember "Some other Guy."?
Top of the charts for April were Gerry and the Pacemakers with "How do you do it.?" straight in at number one and at two Ned Miller with "From a Jack to King." ( what was that doing there!).Number three were the Shadows with "Footapper." and one I think we might have also been hearing on Sunday Night its Buddy Holly with "Brown eyed Handsome Man." At 5 I remember hearing downstairs Ricky Wilson and the Young Ones singing "Rhythm of the Rain." Number six ( don't recall this ) The Springfields with "Say I wont be There." Ronnie Carrol was still making the charts would you believe with "Say Wonderful Things." Cliff still sticking in there with "Summer Holiday at eight and Tommy Roe is at nine with "The Folk Singer." and rounding off the top Ten its that Aussie again Frank Ifield with "Nobodys Darlin but mine."
There were some whitewashes in the "Profumo Scandal" and an 18 year model, Mandy Rice-Davies gets dragged into the case as Dr Ward's lover, Dr Ward was a chum of Prince Philip and the plot is thickening.
A march from Aldermaston to London organized by the CND ( Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament ) attracts 70,000 to Trafalgar Square, 20 "spies for peace" were arrested and charged with leaking classified military information to the media.
There is anew heart throb on TV in the shape of Patrick Allen as "Crane" a bit of a jack the lad with stock footage of exotic location with indoor scenes shot in the UK, this series was made by Associated Redifusion ( London ITV) did you watch on Anglia TV ( ITV for the east of England)?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 18 Aug 2018, 04:18

On May 1st the second James Band film "From Russia with Love." opened and I recall one my chums in Hunstanton managed to borrow his dad's Anglia and we went to the Majestic to see it. To me this is the most realistic of all the Bond films, even though some of the railway shots supposedly of the Orient Express were clearly showing the British Railways Southern Region (green locos and green coaches) which we were not supposed to notice! Sean Connery in his 2nd outing and the 3rd "Goldfinger" was already in production and the franchise is still going strong today. Connery was not the first choice to play James Band, Patrick McGoohan was initially penciled in as he was very popular in "Dangerman" (still an excellent spy series to watch) but Patrick turned town the part as he did not want his children to see him in bed with another woman, he suggested Connery would be a good candidate as the two had recently appeared together in "Hell Drivers".
Winston Churchill called it a day in Parliament and the music of the month was...………..!. "From me to You" the Beatles, 2." Scarlett O'Hara" Jet Harris and Tony Meehan. 3. "Cant get used to Losing You" Andy Williams,4. "How Do You Do It" Gerry and the Pacemakers,5. "In Dreams" Roy Orbison, 6. "Nobody's Darlin but Mine" Frank Ifield, 7. "Do You Want to Know a Secret" Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, 8. "Two Kind of Teardrops" Del Shannon, 9."Lucky Lips" Cliff Richard and at 10 its Ned Miller with "From a Jack to a King" Not a bad top ten 8 out of 10 for me ad a few reminders of the Kit Kat as well.
Anthony Wedgewood Benn renounces his peerage and Greville Wynn gets 8 yeara for spying in Russia and in the United States Gordon Cooper returns to the earth after 22 orbits on the 16th. Does anyone remember Max Wall? He died on the 8th
8 boston square

Postby Hornchurch » 19 Aug 2018, 04:25

8 boston square wrote:
Patrick McGoohan = suggested Connery would be a good candidate as the two had recently appeared together in "Hell Drivers".

'

I must be getting my wires crossed, but I thought that Stanley Baker was in that film, No ?

Can't remember what brand of trucks they were (AEC's ?), but from memory, the film was speeded-up during the chase sequences*

( * & looked daft, for & because of it ) - Incidentally, I saw it (the film), whilst up here in Norfolk,

I saw it earlier this year (2018), via 'Freesat' & the truly marvelous T.V. channel that is "Talking Pictures T.V." (it's 306 on Freesat)

'
Hornchurch

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.