Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 04 Feb 2018, 12:55

It is amazing when you think about those times of long ago that time has not managed to erase the guitar, amplifier and plectrum! Long may that be the case, where would we have been without them?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 10 Feb 2018, 03:02

A heads up dates for your diary.
Joe Brown is at the Corn Exchange on the 11th February, a couple of friends of mine went to see him in London a few days ago and said it was a really good evening. I can remember when I was at Lynn Tech my summer job was stocking up the bars at the Sandringham hotel and oen of the perks was getting into the Sunset Rooms free, in the autumn of 1963 ( I think ) they had some bigger acts there, The Vernons Girls came and so did Joe Brown. Before he went on stage I was taken through the underground catacombs to meet him, lovely man, no side to him at all, just like he is tv and stage. The Offbeats did "A Picture of You." (Stamp your feet in the guitar solo) was probably his biggest hit but he had more I always like "Mrs Brown you've got a lovely daughter. He should have sung that instead of Herman's Hermits, Sam turned out well didn't she?
Now for a real blast from the past have a look on youtube for the Rapiers ( best 60's band since the 60's) I think they may have got from me! They are playing a track there which we used to groove to on a Sunday Night that I had not heard since the Kit Kat, The Coasters " I'm a Hog for You" comes complete with feedback from one of the amps, how I remember that sound!!
The Rapiers will be at the Princess Theatre, Hunstanton on the 7th October which is a Sunday Night. They have backed Mike Berry, Jet Harris, Billie Davis, Liquorice Locking, Freddie Garritty, Eden Kane, John Leyton, Brian Poole, Billy J Kramer, Heinz and Shane Fenton amongst others, should be a great night and if you are free don't miss it they use Fenders and Vox amps just as it should be. look out for the Johnnie Kidd and the Pirates tracks as well as your favourite Cliff Richard and the Shadows numbers.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 20 Feb 2018, 06:05

Big news for all guitar fans is that Gibson guitars are on the brink of bankruptcy, which is bad news for our memories.
Turnover 1b pounds. Debts to be serviced by 23 July 267 m pounds and if that does not happen then 145m pounds become due in bank loans, the figures do not look good.
Will this be end of this iconic brand, well probably not there are two possible outcomes other than its demise and these are that they will be taken over and continue under someone else's wing or they sort themselves very quickly. 50% of guitars sold in the USA are sold to women nowadays but Gibson do not seem to have been appealing to this market, seems they have lost their way and now we wait and see if they can survive the crisis, stay tuned.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 24 Feb 2018, 03:21

Following on from the mid week news about Gibson guitars its an amazing coincidence that all the lead guitarists of the Offbeats chose to play Gibsons. The first night I was taken upstairs to the Kit Kat Sunday Dance Club, I can recall walking up to the stage and having a look at what was there using my vast knowledge as a failed guitarist! Fender Precision Bass ( Sunburst), Fender Stratocaster ( Creamy ) , both solid bodies, who were Fender and surely a Stratocaster was a 4 engine Boeing Turbo Prop airliner or was that Stratocruiser? The other guitar was a Gibson ( never heard of them ) semi cutaway, 2 pick ups only and no tremolo arm! Must be the rhythm guitar!
When the band appeared on stage and did the strumming for volume setting it was apparent that the Gibson cutaway (Sunburst colour) was actually going to be the lead guitar and the Fender rhythm, hmm how is this going to work, the Shads had Fenders, hmm not sure this going to be what I hoped for . still, lets wait and see, give them a chance to impress me eh?
A couple of tracks from the Ventures which I had not before and what did I know, this lead guitarist, who I came to know as Roger Wagge could make that Gibson talk, really sounded good even with only 2 pick ups and using his fingers to bend the strings, what did I know, what is it they say never judge a book by its plectrum?
When Roger left along came Mick Large, another Gibson, this time the same as Roger's but an oak colour and then Ian Duffy and Tony Pull with a couple of Cherry red thin semi acoustics, Ian's I think was stereo version.
This model turned out to be a very famous guitar as used by Chuck Berry amongst others as the ES335 and the later up market version the ES345.
I am sure all of us have seen the film "Back to the Future" which took Marty McFly back in time to 1955 where he is seen on stage with the famous Cherry Red ES 345 from Gibson but I wonder how many people cottoned onto the fact that this is supposed to be 1955 but the Gibson ES 335 and ES 345 did not emerge until 1958!! Funny thing time travel eh!!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 27 Feb 2018, 12:47

Nice picture of the Pagans but not very clear. 1963.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Rob72 » 27 Feb 2018, 18:00

Thanks for the above photo, my dad's in the middle.
Nothing good or bad lasts forever
Rob72

Postby 8 boston square » 08 Mar 2018, 04:11

Following on from my post about Gibson guitars zenith in the 1960s.
In 1952 a music magazine appeared called the New Musical Express it was the first magazine to show the top 30 most popular songs, it came out on Friday. There were others of course the Record Mirror, The Melody Maker and Disc bu although the last 3 were considered more important to the music industry the young people tended to buy the NME, perhaps because it supported up and coming British acts more. When I think of this magazine, it cost 6d, I am intsantly transported back to Tennyson Avenue, Friday morning break at the New Tech, well across the road actaualy at Hannam and Barnard's shop where we went for a fag and refreshments whilst looking to see who was where in the top 30 and which of the risers we might be hearing on Sunday night at the Kit Kat.
In 2015 the NME went free, paid for by adverts but now with march of the online world the print version of this magazine is about to close.
Its funny how the online world has changed our lives and the above is just one example, when I walked through Lynn in the 60's hardly an empty shop and the last time, plenty of closed shops, I have even been to towns where the Charity shop has closed such is the affect of the internet, even big shopping centres are struggling and we might be seeing the last big makeovers of some or they go altogether. Where I am its a bit different today it might change but I dont think much interent shopping is done here by locals, the shopping malls provide free air conditioned places where the outside temperatures are now mid 30's and will soon be over 40" but its different in the west, all over the western world I think. When I worked at John Lewis in Oxford Street we took a lot of money ina year 100s of millions, more than twice as much the next busiset shop in the group and 10 times more than House of Frazer next door, when I left 12 years ago the internet side Johnlewis.com was within an ace of over taking Oxford Street so now I guess it way out of sight and the shops sales are struggling to make last years figures and you cannot see that changing can you, the interent has some great cherries but also issues with effects that no one could forsee being so important. No one can stop change we just have to adapt and when others tak of the good old days, well the 60's were good as I remember but then again I probably have a selective memory of the time, I only remember the good times/parts and did I remember them as they really were or how I want them to be? I did like the NME awards shows though and you can now catch with them on the internet, mixed blessing then.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Apr 2018, 11:01

A few weeks ago we had a few days down by the cast at a small town called Mae Phim, on the eastern seaboard of Thailand about 40kms east of Rayong, lovely hotel, in the morning one girl there just to cook your eggs. Beach across the road and a fish market just east, 1 kilo of large and I do mean large prawns for 6.50 cooked and delivered to your deck chair, nice and relaxing, the evening was also relaxing, virtually no night life at all.
We spent most of our evening at the Bali Pizzeria which provided some musical entertainment in the form of a husband and wife duo singing along to backing tapes! Remember my first post!!!
So we were treated to "Carpenters", George Benson, lost of ABBA surprisingly and it all made for some great evenings in a family atmosphere.
On our last night I had a chat with the singers, not Thais but from the Phillipines, they played every night from 1900 to 2300 except Sunday. I asked them how they learnt the songs, reading or listening ( English not being their 1st tongue ). They both spoke English well and told me it was both, they did their best to copy the originals and they did do that part well and singing in English was easy for them, Russian not so good!!
This got me thinking about Danny Ford and Denny Raven, I don't remember either of them changing their voice for different artists, of course its a long time ago and I might be wrong, the only one I remember doing a real copy was Nick Carter when he but the scarf over is head and sang like a seniorita in Speedy Gonzales, priceless NIck who can ever forget it, or live it down depending on your point of view, for me I loved it
8 boston square

Postby Hornchurch » 03 Apr 2018, 18:46

8 boston square wrote:
Big news for all guitar fans is that Gibson guitars are on the brink of bankruptcy, which is bad news for our memories.
Turnover 1b pounds. Debts to be serviced by 23 July 267 m pounds and if that does not happen then 145m pounds become due in bank loans, the figures do not look good.
Will this be end of this iconic brand, well probably not there are two possible outcomes other than its demise and these are that they will be taken over and continue under someone else's wing or they sort themselves very quickly. 50% of guitars sold in the USA are sold to women nowadays but Gibson do not seem to have been appealing to this market, seems they have lost their way and now we wait and see if they can survive the crisis, stay tuned.
;

Strewth, THAT really IS "Big News" = Kinda the Automotive equivalent of Ford's on verge of going bust !!!!!!!!!!

Your column & post-topic on here is always interesting, but that is quite some "news" of gargantuan weight :(

Always been a Fender man, myself - just personal preference & stuff, but I "do" own a genuine 1982 Gibson Les Paul Custom

Some measure & degree HAS to be the plethora of "cheap" foreign imports thesedays & it's NOT down to a lack of Gibson quality....
(I've heard TOO many favourable comments on modern production Gibsons, esp' from owners via You-Tube comments)

Honestly, it's just SUCH a big & "important" company in the guitar-world, for a "takeover" bid not to be happening, or considered.

Cannot imagine the "Trump" regime allowing one of their most iconic & famous USA brand-names, just to disappear.

Fair to say that Gibson, as a brand, are as equally iconic as say, Harley-Davidson, given their exposure via Rock-music....
(over, say the last 50 years)

Chuck Berry, Rolling Stones, Beatles, AC/DC, Cream, Led Zeppelin & the list goes on & on & on....

Many thanks for the "heads-up" - Can see it ties-in well with your 'Kit-Kat; thread - Do keep us posted "if" you hear any more ?

Hornchurch

Postby 8 boston square » 07 Apr 2018, 05:56

The latest on the Gibson guitars financial problems is that the company have made 15 people redundant at the high end custom factory which hardly seems like they going to be making any in roads into the issues at large. Their current CEO s not very popular either rating I saw gave him 20 out 100 as a good CEO whilst the CEO at Fender got 45 out of a 100. One of the reasons blamed on falling revenue, apart from the one I mentioned earlier about females buying more guitars than males, is that computers can do amazing things these days as can keyboards and guitar sounds can be faithfully copied, not for the purist granted but for joe public would he know the difference?
There is also a strong rumour that the Chinese are swirling in the wings waiting to pounce if the company cannot get out the mire so it looks highly probable that they will survive but who will own them and the question then might be "what do the Chinese know about guitars?"
Imagination Technologies were taken over recently by a Chinese company and this looks a similar story. IMG used to make the graphics for Apple and many other telephone companies, Apple at one time held 16% of the company, then Apple decided to pull out and start doing its own graphics and who else wants IMG's processors after that?
IMG were among the first to see the potential of Digital Radio and produced a chip to do the job and offered it to Roberts Radio (Suffolk, but owned now by an Irish company.), Roberts said it would not take off so IMG in the form of PURE decided to build their own radios in the Roberts Style, wooden cases that gave a rich mellow tone. The radios were made of beech wood in China and the biggest problem they had with China was trying to get the Chinese to make the radios in wood rather than plastic, to the Chinese tone meant nothing plastic would be fine and cheaper but when the Chinese saw the shipping numbers then they understood and so did Roberts who started to get in on the act! So we should not be too fearful if the brand falls into Chinese hands, so long as they understand that they will be the current guardians of the iconic brand which contains Rickenbacker and Gretsch as well, Chet Atkins played a Gretsch and I know Roger Wagge loved Chet Atkins.
Time is tight for the company, 23rd July is deadline day but realistically I think mid June the fate will be known.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 14 Apr 2018, 05:19

I was looking at some photo's on the Hunstanton thread recently, the ones along the prom with Kit Kat in view, it looked fairly big and it must have been to get the oft mentioned 600 people in there and then I look at the picture of the site of the burnt floor of what remained and it just does not seem possible that they were the same place, it was almost as if Dr Who got the idea for the TARDIS from the Kit Kat, I don't suppose anyone had the measurements of the place?
I also wondered how it was described, a "Dance Hall" or a "Ballroom"? Did "ballroom" come from the crystal ball which a beam of light was aimed at that gave all those magical chinks of light as it revolved? I don't re call the Kit Kat ever having a Crystal Ball so I guess it must have been a Dance Hall on 2 levels. Not many Ballrooms or Dance Halls left today as society has changed with the passage of time and new generations being attracted to different types of entertainments, like TV rentals and Video hire shops they have come and gone, were they better times than today or do our memories deceive us?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 21 Apr 2018, 12:39

There is one thing I don't remember about Kit Kat nights and that the volume, was it loud or was it not? With the stage being low our bodies must have acted as a baffle to the sound coming out of the amplifiers, but then I remember the stands appearing with Vox AC 30's so that would made a difference and I also remember at night walking up the green that my ears were ringing and at that time I was never at the front, so, how do you remember it? I wonder how people in Seagate Road Remember it!!
We get plenty of live music here, although perhaps racket would be a better word than music, take yesterday for instance, I was out riding my bike when I noticed that one of the roads had been blocked off to traffic about 100 yards ( as the Mina bird flies) from our house, across the road has been erected a stage with floodlights and crystal ball, awnings full of plastic tables and chairs, blimey its a Thai wedding!! It started, the racket at 7pm and did not stop until the sun came up about 6am when breakfast was taken before another thrilling 1 hour encore, all cleared and gone before 0900. The racket was so loud it sounded as if was in the garden, most Thais are deaf by the way and have to shout at each other! Funny old world and another strange thing here I notice in a lot of the bars that have a resident band in, f you ask for a request you are expected to put 20 bahts ( about 40p) in the tip box. I don't recall many requests at the Kit Kat but at other dances I thought the band were rather pleased when someone asked for a particular track.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 28 Apr 2018, 01:29

Some big musical news out this week, most unexpected and personally I am somewhat apprehensive so time will tell I guess. They said it might never happen but events sometimes overtake the past and new opportunities lead us down new roads, so whats this all about then if you missed it?
Mat 2013 in the east of Stockholm the ABBA museum opened and one of the attractions was to have avatars of the group members on a stage where visitors could choose a song and get on stage with ABBA and sing. Recently ABBA have been back in the studio after 35 years to record some tracks for the avatar and it has gone very well and reading between the lines not only will they be recording some of the old tracks but there will be some brand new material more up to date, whatever that may mean, looking at the timing I would hazard a guess that there might be an ABBA album out in time for Christmas to ride alongside the avatar plans.
I think that any thoughts for a tour are not on the table, they are all over 70 now and its asking too much of them, but, the new album sounds intriguing, I think unless its up to the required standard they would not release it and I would hope that it would not disappoint and damage the legacy, only time will tell, its a gamble. I can well remember going to see the Beach Boys at Wembley and wondering the same things as now, the Beach Boys did let me down and I would hope that ABBA will make the right call here, after all I chose 4 or 5 of their tracks in my fictitious Sunday Night at the Kit Kat with Danny Ford and the Offbeats.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 02 May 2018, 03:24

For those of you interested in the Gibson guitars situation as of yesterday May 1st Gibson have filed for Bankruptcy protection which it hopes to exit on September 24th. Not good news then but at least they have to time to try and sort something out. The current CEO is a business man and knows little or nothing about guitars, they have apparently been trying to invent themselves into a "lifestyle company" when in reality they are just a good guitars company making electric guitars in Memphis and Nashville whilst the acoustics are made in Bozeman Montana. So now we wait 5 months for a possible solution. Perhaps a good time for the CEO to move on and get the workforce behind a more popular leader.

Burns the London guitar company, originally sold to Baldwin Pianos a long time ago and has hovered on going under several times seems to have righted the ship although most of their products are made in China now(what isn't?), strangely enough one of their most popular guitars is the Black Bison Bass, still good to see them hanging in there.

Guitars tend to last a long time and repeat business is not an annual event so its easy to see why companies are struggling and the other elephant in the room is the budget copies which aint bad.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 05 May 2018, 05:03

In 1966 I bought a Ford Cortina, this gave me options for entertainment and the time when I went to the Kit Kat less often. The car had no radio so put a "Pye Poppit" in the back window and hop it was going to pick something up, it has a speedometer, fuel and temperature gauge and to customize it I had a amp meter, oil pressure and vacuum pressure gauge fitted, did not improve the performance but looked as if it might! How different things are out here in Thailand, they sure like their noise, now I have a Honda Mobillio and gauge wise its just speedometer, rev counter and fuel gauge and that's it and there is no room to add extras even if I wanted to. What is popular here is convert a pick up truck so the back tray is full and I do mean full of speakers (what happens when it rains I have no idea).

It is now the height of summer so temps around 40C so cars here don't have heaters they have air conditioners, last week whilst on the motorbike I noticed a Honda Civic coming towards us with the back window which was most unusual, as it passed by I looked in the back, no seats full of loudspeakers which looked as it they been crudely set in clay. I doubt very much he thought about the trade in value when the time comes but it did amuse me thinking about exchange at the local Honda dealer! Its a very different culture out here.

Next Tuesday I return to the UK for my annual visit so I will hope that the temperatures will be somewhat lower and no rain or wind, my day out in Lynn is set for the 16th, looking forward to it.
8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.