Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby EWW » 12 Jul 2021, 11:13

If I run into him again I will as his name Boston as he runs an Engineering works in Sutton Bridge. Did Sean have a brother as Sean has left
Sutton bridge and is running a jazz club in Norwich. Well if you google him thats what it says. It says he sold his £7 million property portfolio
after he was very ill and moved on.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 12 Jul 2021, 11:21

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 13 Jul 2021, 03:00

The above post of Steve Reynolds playing an instrumental version of Del Shannon's "Runaway" was a favourite of EWW and one of mine as well, not often you get an instrumental version of this track but a great reminder of the early 1960's for me, in particular hot sunny days in Stockdale's cafe in Le Strange Terrace, opposite the entrance to the Sandringham with my bike being propped up on the pavement by the pedal, a Raleigh "Trent Tourist" 4 speed, dynamo and speedo!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 17 Jul 2021, 06:23

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 18 Jul 2021, 05:57

That small clip above was from the 1962 film "Play it Cool", a small budget film cashing in on the "Twist dancing" craze of the time and featuring Billy Fury, Shane Fenton and the Fentones, Helen Shapiro and Bobby Vee with a few faces that seemed to turn up in just about every film made in the UK at the time, it was filmed mainly at Pinewood, not much location shots as the budget might be described as tight. Black and white film - colour costs too much - but somehow black and white seems right for the time.
Remember the twist, I do I thought this would never end, fashions come and go though so watch and soak it up, a great number from Shane and the boys as well just right for 1962 times, like the guitar solo as well, they were a really good band, top musicians who had learnt their trade from playing in "Big Bands" at the time.
So now can you wait until Wednesday for my second installment of the sounds that remind me of the early 60's? The builders have just turned up!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 21 Jul 2021, 05:14

Today I reveal the 2nd part of the sounds from the early part of the 1960's that particularly remind me of those times, 1/1/1963 to 31/12/1965 so without further ado and again in no particular order here they come, do any of these transport you back to a place, a time, a person or an event?
Brian Poole and the Tremolos, "Do you Love me?". "Candyman", Cliff Richard "Summer Holiday", The Searchers, "Sweets for my Sweet", "Saturday Night out.", Jet Harris and Tony Meehan "Diamonds", The Shadows "Dance On", The Beatles "Pleas Please Me", "You can't do that", "I saw her standing there", Freddie and the Dreamers "I'm Telling you now", Bobby Vee "The night has 1000 eyes", Heinz Burt "Just like Eddie", The Four Seasons, "Rag Doll", The Beach Boys, "Fun, Fun, Fun", "I get around", "Help me Rhonda", The Applejacks "Tell me when", The Surfaris "Wipeout", Del Shannon "Little Town Flirt". "Searchin'", Dave Clark Five "Glad all over", "Bits and Pieces", Herman Hermits "She a must to avoid", Dionne Warwick "Walk on by", Rolling Stones "Satisfaction", The Kinks "Tired of Waiting", The Hollies "Her I go again", "We're Through", Jan and Dean, "Surf City", Andy Williams "Can't get used to losing you", The Fortunes "You've got your troubles", Petula Clark "Downtown", Sergi Mendez and brasil '66 "Girl from Ipanema", The Honeycombs "Have I the right", The McCoys "Hang on Sloopy", Terry Stafford "Suspicion", and to finish up with Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme with :I just want to stay here and Love you".
Bring any memories back for anyone? I am sure I think of lots more no doubt as soon as I submit this, some of the tracks we would have heard on a Sunday Night at the Kit Kat but music is just one layer of our tapestry of life that one layer divides into many many more and I would have it any other way, it all travels with me through life and puts a smile on my face.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 21 Jul 2021, 08:25

Not the 60s, but the one that played constantly on the fun fair at Hunny, Tab Hunter - Young Love.
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 22 Jul 2021, 04:25

I think Tab Hunter was in "Summer Place" and I too remember that track around the fairgrounds, The pop music played at fairgrounds just gave them that special attraction and they seemed to play all the right stuff to me, my favourite for fairgrounds was the Everly Brothers "Cathey's Clown" but there were so many and the Beatles always went down well, the music dragged you towards where the action was, in Lynn I used to park in the old cattle market and walk to the Tuesday Market place, the music getting louder as I went down Norfolk Street and right at the High Street, could not get there fast enough! My last visit to the Mart was I think 2010 and it was as usual a nice bright sunny day but very cold but a lunch time so no music as my train back to Kings Cross left at 1454.
Not sure that the music they would have played in 2010 would have registered anyway and they would not be playing the Everly Brothers I think so maybe I was there at the right, lunch time.
I remember the last music I heard at a fairground, in St Helier, Jersey, used to get the Catamaran over from Weymouth and gave me a long day on the island, arrived at 1030 and left at 1830. The reason for the fairground was "The Battle of the Flowers." and the main event is the last event, but the rides must have come from the UK or maybe France but a big fair and as I walked through, got a big dose of ABBA so that went down well, songs well suited to the fairground and as usual when I went over lovely weather, had some great times on Jersey, Guernsey and Herm.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 31 Jul 2021, 04:08

In the first half of a Sunday night at the Kit Kat, probably about 3/4s of the way through we had an unlikely number from an unlikely pop star of the time, Pat Boone. He had recorded the fun track of "Speedy Gonzales" and it became a surprise hit, the surprise at the Kit Kat was Nick Carter donning a wig and using a falsetto voice to accompany Danny on this track, so soon I will relay the track from another group who I think do a good version of the number, don't keep looking at the girls now but enjoy this great reminder of times gone by, blimey nearly 60 years ago, music was good then, hang on to your hats its coming up soon!
The girls do look good though dont they? If only I could remember what to do with them now!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 31 Jul 2021, 08:36

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Aug 2021, 09:05

Busy couple of weeks coming up here in Thailand, tomorrow the wife has her 2nd jab, AstraZeneca and next week I have mine as well along with 90 day report to Immigration among all the other things that turn up in life but am hoping to find some time later on this week to take you all on another trip down "Memory Lane" and remind you how we all broke the law and thought it was ok if anyone dare question it, so you can think about "what on earth can that be?" When I tell you will no doubt say "Oh Yeah now I remember, against he law surely not?"
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 17 Aug 2021, 10:24

Bumped into Nigel's son and his wife again a couple of days ago Boston. His name is Carl. Nice guy. Told me he used to play drums at one time.
Nigel should have been playing at a gig Sunday night but they said that he had gout in his fingers and could not play very well. Hope he gets
better and can be up and running soon.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 18 Aug 2021, 04:15

Anyone remember buying singles in the 60's? 6 and 8 each, 7" diameter usually silver or black letters on coloured background, the song title and in brackets underneath the writer (s) and year and underneath that all that legal stuff about copying, re-recording etc but we all as time went by made our own compilations for use on cassettes for home or car, Strictly speaking we were breaking the law but thought " I have bought this so its up to me!"
Music writers surprisingly write songs, they discover a combination of notes and put words to them and if they are lucky they get a "hit", 95% of things written are not but when you get one it can mean "loads of money!". In the early 60's if you got A GOLD DISC you had sold a million copies of a particular song, 1 million x 6 and 8 that 333,000 pounds to put that into perspective of the time a Ford Zodiac or Vauxhall Cresta would cost you 1000 pounds, 8 Boston Square cost 2000 pounds. That 333,000 was the take then there are the costs of singer, writers, recording company, advertising and other associated costs but a hit was mega. Songwriters would offer their latest to the best hoping to hit the jackpot so in America it would Elvis first whilst in the UK it would be Cliff or Billy Fury and if you were successful with one hit then you could go back with confidence next time.
Probably the biggest songwriters of the time were Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller, they wrote loads here are a few of their hits you might have heard of, "Kansas City", "Hound Dog", "Lucky Lips", "Jailhouse Rock", "Yakety Yak", "Poison Ivy", "Hog for you", "Love Potion No. 9", "Stand by me" and "She's not you". Prolific might be the word.
Another great combination at the time was Gerry Goffin and Carole King do you recall "Will you still love me tomorrow", "Take good care of my baby", "Halfway to Paradise", "Dont you ever change", "When my little girl is smiling", "Chains', "The Locomotion", "I'm into something good", He's in town". They also wrote a lot more of Billy Fury's and Dusty Springfield.
One more was Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman who gave us "Teenager in love", "Little sister", Surrender", "Suspicion" Can't get used to losing you", Viva Las Vegas, "Here I go again" and "Sweets for my sweet"
Moneywise as time as gone on there is less to be made from the music industry and it all changed when record and CD sales fell to the download era, in an interview a couple of years ago Cliff Richard said it cost 500, 000 to go into the studio and make an album/cd and he got .0008 of cent every time one of his records got played anywhere so today the only way musicians can make money is to go on tour. This leads onto another interesting area that I came across at work in John Lewis, the company had to buy a licence for us to demonstrate hi fi's with tapes and cds so we could legally play music to the public/customers. Different venues have to get a different licence and costs vary, its all run by the "Performing Rights Society" singers. musicians and songwriters join and the "Society" collects and distributes accordingly, its only right that they do this otherwise unscrupulous people would steal and copy your songs and performances. I was told in the 1980's that in Hong Kong you could go into shops and with a list of the tracks you want they would make you a personal tape at a "good price". In Pattaya market you can buy any film you want for the equivalent of 2 pounds and if they do not have it, "come back tomorrow."
Nobody seemed to bother too much about local bands playing the hits of today and yesterday like we had at the Kit Kat, maybe the bands bought the sheet music and maybe they listened to the records but it did not seem to be problem on the local stage, discos though might have been different did they get a licence ? They should have done.
Its interesting thinking about those songwriters at the time, groups, singers etc did not write much did they, they left it to others in the UK we had Tony Newley writing and Jerry Lordan, Jerry wrote "Apache" first recorded but not released by Bert Weedon so he offered it to the Shadows, he was also responsible for "Wonderful Land" and "Diamonds". Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch had started writing by this time and been lucky enough to be able to offer a lot to Cliff so they did very nicely thank you and this was followed by the Beatles who also wrote for others in "NEMS Enterprises" so the Fourmost and Billy J Kramer and gave the Rolling Stones their first hit "I Wanna be your man" before they started writing themselves, The Beach Boys also wrote a lot of their own tracks and notably followed by "Queen" and "ABBA". They must have all done very well until the computer age arrived, now they must employ people to keep track of their songs and performances to ensure they get what is due in the same way that sports people are keen to "protect their intellectual rights" Football shirts on Pattaya market from 2 pounds with no name on!
I will finish this memory with an old phrase "The cheques in the post" for some it will be a very nice one and well deserved for the memories.
8 boston square

Postby Hornchurch » 22 Aug 2021, 01:55

catleugh1968 wrote:

This has been posted so many times it's getting boring.

Tresagreen wrote:

Don't read it then. There are others joining the forum all the time, who have not read it before.

And when did you last post anything of interest?

'

By chance I just happened to scroll-back & catch these TWO posts - Had ME roaring with laughter !!!!!!! :lol:

I get the geezer's sentiment, BUT, such a fine quality riposte from dear ol' Tres' = YOU GO GIRL = Be told ; she has a GOOD point, both counts.

Hornchurch

Postby EWW » 26 Aug 2021, 21:58

Dont know when you and your wife are planning to pay us a visit again Boston, but as from monday next only british nationals will
be allowed to come here from Thailand. What the restrictions will be on getting here I do not know.
EWW

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.