Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby EWW » 23 Jun 2021, 11:31

The EDP are running a local bands thing over the next few weeks and I will put some pictures up when I can.
Some of the bands mentioned are. The Planets..The Cadillacs..The Contours..The Zodiacs..The Toffs..Malcolm and the Jet Blacks.
I remember some of the names but do not know if they ever played the KK.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 24 Jun 2021, 03:39

In case you might have missed it, go back to the bottom of page 63 for a special memory of mine and listen to Steve Reynolds playing "Midnight." Fender Stratocaster and Vox AC30 to the fore!
It was the last Sunday in June and I was going, against my better judgement, to the Kit Kat Sunday Dance Club for the first time. The Offbeats took to the stage and played "No Tresspassin" and "Perfidia" tracks which were new to me, then Danny Ford came on stage to sing 5 songs that also new to me! But the group were not bad, not bad at all and then came "Midnight " a 1960 recording. the 'B' side to "FBI" well, took my breath away it sounded just like the "Shadows", close your eyes and you would not know the difference, From then on the evening just got better and better, I did not want the evening to end, for sure I am going to be back here next week and I was.
I could listen to Steve Reynolds all night, the sound is perfect and his choice of tracks is excellent and coming up another one of his with another memory for me of Autumn 1962, of the old prefab huts at the southern end of St. James Park, opposite the Police Station where Charles O'Connor taught me commerce at the Lynn Tech'. This track is a Helen Shapiro one and I have never heard this as an instrumental before so I hope you like it and it brings back memories for others as well its called "You Don't Know" and how prophetic the title is, take a look at Steve and look at the date he put in on Youtube. Steve's funeral was on the 17th June this year, you just don't know do you when your time is up, he looks far to young die, just like Roger Wagg, two great guitarists taken away from us far to early in life, a timely reminder for us all to enjoy the time we have here.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 26 Jun 2021, 12:08

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 03 Jul 2021, 13:36

Does anyone remember the summer of 1959? One of the really great ones, if only English summers were like this every year! This was the first year a saw a juke box, it was on the pier at Hunstanton in the northern outside part, I could hear music coming from somewhere but not sure where and there is it was as I entered a huge wooden sided item, it played 78 rpm 12" records and the one that was playing was Max Bygraves....."Tulips from Amsterdam" a happy summer song.
This item soon went but I could still hear music when I went into the pier down at the south western corner in the part that covered that part of the prom, but now we had a space age looking Rock-Ola Juke Box playing 45 rpm records 7" diameter but horror of horror's it now cost 6d a selection instead of the 3d on the old one! Rich people could put a shilling in and get 3 selections!
My musical memory of inside the pier was Jimmy Jones remember "Handyman" and "Timin'" its funny how music whether it be a song or an instrumental remind you of different times and events or places that just dont go away even though it might from many years ago and something just a few seconds ago I cannot recall, know the feeling? I think there is a name for it.
The time I am recalling in 1959 so this is probably where I started getting interested in music with "Livin' Doll" being a good starting point and a lot of these tracks were still being played in the 1960's, maybe I should make a film and call it "From here to the Kit Kat." A musical journey. But there are a lot tracks that just remind me of the time, like a back-drop to the tracks that remind me of places/events/people and times so I thought I would make a list of the those tracks so maybe if you have nothing better to do make a list of your own and see how it compares and you know whenever you do this sort of thing you always leave out or forget a number that you should have included dont you, so get your papers at the ready and see how it compares for next weekend.
I always preferred the first part of the 60's so I will split this into 2 parts and the first part which will no doubt include some recordings that were recorded before 1960 will be from 1/1/1960 to 31/12/1962 inclusive so its 3 years and later 1/1/63 to 31/12/1965.
So next weekend the tracks that remind me of the 1960's part one 1/1/1960 to 31/12/1962.
8 boston square

Postby catleugh1968 » 06 Jul 2021, 20:14

This has been posted so many times it's getting boring.
catleugh1968

Postby Tresagreen » 06 Jul 2021, 20:35

Don't read it then. There are others joining the forum all the time, who have not read it before. And when did you last post anything of interest?
Last edited by Tresagreen on 07 Jul 2021, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 06 Jul 2021, 20:43

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 07 Jul 2021, 04:36

I thought you might like the little taster for adverts that we used to see in the 1960's and using shillings and pence, all part of the back drop of that time and by way of a little sprinkle from the past for Saturday's list of some of the tracks that remind me of the 60's. It was a special time and certainly not boring to me as it seems to be for some. Some of the things that were common place in the 60's in the UK are still prominent here in Thailand, "OMO" and "Carnation milk" along with "Dettol" are found everywhere, "Shell" and "Esso" fuel, "Scotch Tape" "Cussons Imperial leather" ( they have a factory here and do "Triumph Motor Bikes" ). I am sure I will think of more once I have posted!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 07 Jul 2021, 09:05

Funny you should mention Triumph. This is my beloved Triumph T120. 1200cc of pure pleasure. And built in Thailand.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 07 Jul 2021, 12:20

We also see a lot of Castrol and Dunlop tyres here as well not to mention the ever popular Kit Kat bars!
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 07 Jul 2021, 13:08

Wow OMO? That hasn't been around here for 50 years :lol:
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 10 Jul 2021, 03:24

Covid conditions are in a right old state here compared to the UK. Two weeks ago the PM announced that the country was due to open up for tourism in 120 days, the start of the high season, now we have a curfew from 2100 to 0400 in several provinces, masks must be worn at all times or face a hefty fine and those words of two weeks ago now seem empty and the tourism sector which accounts for 18% of GDP looks likely to wait for another year before things begin again and a lot of businesses will have gone by then. They just have not ordered enough vaccines, still we are where we are, things look a lot healthier in the UK, they seem to have got the vaccination job about right and hopefully normal life is just around the corner for you, some however here have another problem , apparently the Chinese SINOVAC vaccine is not going to be accepted for travel to Europe as it is deemed not effective enough, I am due for AstraZeneca on the 4th August so fingers crossed its there when I arrive!
Lets get back to the 1960's and happier times and here are tracks that immediately transport me back to those halcyon days of yesteryear whenever I hear them, in no particular order and not necessarily favourites of mine but here we go, if you have written a few down yourself see how they compare.
I think I have to start with Cliff Richard and the Shadows, "The Young Ones.", "Please Dont Tease.", "A Gitl Like You.", Billie Davis, "Tell Him.", The Shadows, "Wonderful Land.", "Midnight.", The Fentones, "The Breeze and I.", Johnnie Burnett, "Dreamin'.", Johnnie Kidd and the Pirates, "Shakin' All Over.", Bobby Darin, "Dream Lover.", "Beyond the Sea.", The Ventures, "Walk Don't Run.", "Perfidia.", Helen Shapiro, "Don't Treat my Like a Child.", "You Don't Know.", Elvis Presley, "His Latest Flame.", "The Girl of my Best friend.", Billy Fury, "Halfway to Paradise.", Del Shannon, "Runaway.", Everly Brothers, "Cathy's Clown.", "Dream.", Chuck Berry, "Johnnie B. Goode.", Jimmy Jones, "Handyman.", "Good Timin'.", The Drifters, "Save the Last Dance for Me.", Brenda Lee, "Hers Comes That Feeling.", Brian Hyland, "Sealed with Kiss.", Carole King, "It Might as well Rain Until September.", Bruce Chanel, "Hey Baby.". Percy Faith, "Summer Place.", The Coasters, "Charlie Brown.", "Poison Ivy.", Karl Denver, "Wimoweh.", The Shirelles, "Will you still Love me tomorrow.", Theme from "Exodus", Lawrence Welk, "Calcutta.", Beach Boys, "Surfin' USA,", Chubby Checker, "Lets Twist Again.", Roy Orbison, "Dream Baby.", Gene Pitney, "24 Hours from Tulsa." Ben E. King, "Spanish Harlem.", Her Alpert, "Lomely Bull.", Freddie Cannon, "Sea Cruise.", "Pallisades Park.", The Four Seasons, "Sherry.", "Big Girls Don't Cry.", Bobby Vee, "Take Good Care of my Baby.", Eden Kane, "Forget me Not."
So they are some of my memorable tracks from 1/1/1960 to 31/12/1962, I am sure as soon as I post this I will think of others, isn't it always that way?
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 10 Jul 2021, 12:56

Went for a ride to sunny Hunny this morning and met up with a few bikers. One of them said to me that Hunny was not the same since the KK closed down.
We talked about the music and he said his dad used to play there. It turned out he is Nigel Portass's son. I asked him to say hello to his dad for you Boston.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 11 Jul 2021, 04:21

I remember 5 iconic buildings In Hunstanton in the early 1960's, The Golden Lion Hotel, The Town Hall and the Capitol Cinema, all still there although the Capital now is called the Princess Theatre? The other two leave a big hole, The Sandringham and the Kit Kat, I know there were other structures of importance but those two buildings are sadly missed, today they might have been listed.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 12 Jul 2021, 10:53

EWW I reckon you ran into Sean Portass, he runs a restaurant, when allowed in the Sutton Bridge area, it looks a good one too with real ale, not the rubbish on offer on Sunday nights at the Kit Kat!
8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.