Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby apollonine » 17 Jan 2011, 21:28

The Tea Time Four had various line up changes but what I remember is Barry(Fats)Dean, Bernard (Berny) Rudd, Mike Prior, Brian (Rocky) Brown, Raymond (Boz) Burrell and John Cork. Fats went on to join Brian Augers Oblivion Express they recorded several albums in the 70's, Fats was a brilliant bassist and a good composer I believe he now lives in Florida. Boz went on to join King Crimson and later Bad Company, Boz sadly died in 2006...
"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby Ted » 19 Jan 2011, 09:51

Sent you an email 'womg' regarding Les .
Ted

Postby Ted » 19 Jan 2011, 09:56

Heard a little story that Boz met up(by chance ?) with Norwich DJ Howard Platt the night before he died (in Spain) . I was told this by Radio Norfolk DJ Andy Archer who grew up I think in Terrington . Used to frequent the Maids Head in the sixties.
Ted

Postby Toffee21 » 19 Jan 2011, 14:42

I also remember great times at the Kit Kat on Sunday nights with Danny Ford and the Offbeats etc. Several people have mentioned the Maids Head, I worked there part-time in the late 60's when Colin Atkinson was landlord and saw lots of bands especially on his Monday Country and Western nights and also at the Corn Exchange where he used to run the bar. Great bands, great days. Colin was also a great fan of King's Lynn Speedway and he often used to take the staff before we started work, he was a great person to work for.
Toffee21

Postby Ted » 19 Jan 2011, 15:20

Also,what about Heacham . Lot's of top bands there in the vsixties . I saw Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas and the Rockin Berries several times . I don't know who ran those gigs. Anyone out there know ? . Spoke to someone recently who's sister went out with PJ Proby . I commented that he had trouble getting the right size trousers (me being a fairly descreet person ). Her answer was , 'that wasn't all he had trouble with' !!!. No idea what she meant ! . Got arrested at his gig at :smt008 the Corn Exchange.
Ted

Postby chihuahua606 » 20 Jan 2011, 11:04

I think I spent most of my teens in the Maids Head, or just the Maids as we used to refer to it. Colin Atkinson kept a beedy on us youngsters, we didn't dare get too raucous.

My strict father accepted that I went there, I was not allowed to go to the Palm Court, although sneeked in occasionally - and absolutely forbidden to go the Golden Ball, and I never did so not sure what went on there that was so scarey.
chihuahua606

Postby Ted » 20 Jan 2011, 12:54

I played in a rock band at the Palm Court,about 1963. Spent the last part of the gig dodging flying bottles !. Got my car nearby to load my gear up and a copper gave me a hard time for backing my car five yards in the wrong direction in the one way system !!! .
Ted

Postby thaberland » 21 Jan 2011, 21:03

Hi, does anyone remeber A drumer who played in the Palm Court
in the 50s lasr name Walton I think his dad was mayor at one time. ?????? :roll: :roll:
thaberland

Postby apollonine » 21 Jan 2011, 22:50

Our band played a couple of times at The Palm Court, one of the songs we done was "Down The Road Apiece" by Chuck Berry, this was a favourite of a large lady who I gather often frequented the docks and was built like an all in wrestler, whatever she said went. We must have played that song 10 times because thats what she requested and we were to scared to do anything different especially after she flashed us the flick knife... :shock:
apollonine

Postby apollonine » 21 Jan 2011, 23:32

Hello Thaberland.. I believe the drummers name was Frank Walton he often played with Geoff Stintons Jazz Band in The Palm Court.. In the photo (1954) are L/R Geoff Stinton (drums) George Acourt (Bass) Bass Warrington (cornet) Frank Walton (face behind trombone, drums) Ron Burton (Sax) Johnnie Johnson (Piano) Unknown (Trombone) Derek Cubitt (Clarinet)... I always loved the palm tree mural on the wall. Do you remember Gilbert who ran The Palm Court he was the source of a lot of my information when later he ran the chip shop at The Gaywood Clock.... :)

apollonine

Postby chihuahua606 » 21 Jan 2011, 23:36

Apollonine - I remember the large lady you are talking about, yes, whatever she said is what happened - saw her thump a hole in the loo door once!

I know her name - but I'm still to scared to say!! (HA!)
chihuahua606

Postby EWW » 22 Jan 2011, 00:31

Dianne Fysh ruled the Palm, known as Di Di :D. I have mentioned her in another thread on here.
I have recalled this story also about her before but nevermind. One day my mother bought a
second hand cooker from who I cannot recall. When the cooker was delivered by a man called
"Snosh" Cooper, what his real christian name was I dunno. Well snosh could not get the cooker
in the house. At that very moment Di came past and without breaking sweat picked it up and
lifted it over the fence. "F*****G useless men are Gracie" said Di, and laughing off she went.
Another time I was on the bus with mum and Di was on the same bus, where you going Di said
mum, "Virgins rest home" said Di, mum looked puzzled and asked where she meant, "Palm court"
was Di's answer laughing like a drain. :lol: Dont know if this was the same person that you knew.
Sadly Dianne died some years ago.

One of her relatives is a member on here but I do not think she will mind me telling this little story.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Ted » 22 Jan 2011, 10:46

As I said,People who never visited Lynn pubs thought the Maids Head was 'rough' but as someone said Colin kept pretty good order there . I remember one night playing with the band in the front,before the back extension. A foriegn sailor type of bloke was a bit 'canned up' and started knocking the mike stands about . Colin had him out the door in a flash ! . Palm Court was a different story by the early sixties when I gigged there . 'Free for all' comes to mind .
Ted

Postby thaberland » 22 Jan 2011, 17:07

:D Thanks for the picture apollonine :D We had many fun nights there We werent surposed to go in either but we walked by and heard all the fun so we went in,
I dated Frank Walton for a while Although I didnt remember his first name
very nice guy do you know if he is still around.
I also remember the Meads being a bad place when the war was on all the yanks went there I think they left a lot of Babies behind :D :D
thaberland

Postby apollonine » 22 Jan 2011, 19:52

Opening night of Colin Atkinsons conversion of The Maids Head into a dance hall August 1966, anything you wore that was white glowed in the dark with the new blue lighting. :shock:

apollonine

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.