Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Oct 2010, 08:46

Does anyone remember The Sunday Dance Club at the Kity Kat? a bob to join and 2 bob a night 7-1030. Resident band Danny Ford and the Offbeats? Les Garner, Nigel Portass, Nick Carter, Les Judd and Tony Wagg, what a band, could never understand why they were not on recording contract. For 2 bob a night the time of your life upstairs and downstairs a guest group, I remember Ricky Wilson and the Young Ones, Larry Bond and the Trojans and Danny Eves and the Strollers complete with Burns Black Bison guitars. What do you have now? If you are lucky a bloke who can sing to backing md's! Karaoke for drunks! I think I was lucky to see the bands I did then, a few more? Rod Kingston and the Premiers, Denny Raven and the Sabres, The Vampires, The Valiants and Lombard and the Tea Time Four ( But there are 6 of them). Great memories of my time in the area and Kings Lynn Tech, if I could anyone back to a time in my past it would be the Kit Kat on Sunday night about 1962/3
8 boston square

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby apollonine » 01 Oct 2010, 11:58

Fantastic Times :shock: In these two pictures The Offbeats are L/R Nick Carter, Danny Ford, Derek Stringer, Tony Pull and Nigel Portass....The Sabres are L/R Rick Meek, Pete Carter, Tony Relph, Maurice(Mo)Pegg and Denny Raven(Barry Leader) :D

"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby 8 boston square » 02 Oct 2010, 05:45

I went to Hunstanon Secondary Modern, and Tech in Lynn with Derek Stringer, if you read this Derek is this true that when you joined the Offbeats and had to fill in tax return you put down " house for group"? Tony Pull I remember was with Larry Bond and the Trojans beforehand. I also remember a lad from Norwich taking over from Tony Wagg who tragically left us at the age of 21? Ian Duffy of the Premiers also had a stint with the Offbeats as well, wonderful memories indeed, if only we the technology to have recorded in those days. They will always be on and in my mind, how did 600 people get into such a small place? Thanks for the pictures, I have some older pictures of the Offbeats, when I get back to the UK mid 2011 I will try and place them.
8 boston square

Postby trevanne » 04 Oct 2010, 21:33

Remember it well good time's and great band's :D
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
trevanne

Postby 8 boston square » 05 Oct 2010, 12:16

As result of great nights at the Kit Kat when I was in the Hunstanton Young Conservatives, The committe decided we run a dance at the Kit Kat on a friday night. I new a good band from Peterborough called The Intruders, they were free and said they could do it. They never turned up and I had to announce this to all and sundry, at 15 what did I know about contracts! I went into Tech the next monday and sort my commerce tutor who taught me how write a contract.
I booked Lombard and the Tea Time Four at the Sunset Rooms, Hunstanton again on a friday night 7-30 til 1-00 am for the princely sum of 12.00 pounds! We had a good night takings wise, the contract perm itted 2 30 minute breaks, it was in the last one with one hour to go when Boz came to me saying they had run out songs, they played them all! So the last hour was " a request for something we played earlier" I gave the boys an extra 1 pound for the night does not sound much does it but remember that you could get 4 gallons of petrol for 1 pound and there are 4 1/2 litres to the gallon, sounds better now does it not?
Another night I was at the Sunset Rooms I remember the Sabres arriving and the bass players bass ( Fender Jazzmaster ) was dead as a dodo. I said that I had an electric guitar, not a bass, you welcome to use it for the night so went home to get it. He thought he was getting a Fender Stratocaster when I gave it to him as he saw a white button shield on the back to prevent scratching, it was a white plastic tile had stuck onto the back of a Watkins Rapier, 27.19.6d, remember them?
8 boston square

Postby Ted » 26 Oct 2010, 15:44

Yep What a great place to be on a sunday night,winter and summer with Danny Ford and The Offbeats . About a nine year run I think . Sadly Danny (Les) no longer with us. Nick Carter taught me to play bass and I had some good gigs around East Anglia with various bands in the fab sixties.
Also remember well seeing Tea Time Four at the Corn Exchange for the first time. WOW . Boz going on to much bigger things. Listened and enjoyed just recently the Bad Company album of all the best stuff. A bit like the Eagles but with more attitude ! Boz also no longer with us .
Rex
Ted

Postby apollonine » 26 Oct 2010, 18:58

The Tea Time Four, or in this picture The Tea Time Six. I can remember Rocky living in Queen Mary Road..

apollonine

Postby Ted » 27 Oct 2010, 12:01

Hi That must be a fairly early TT4 pic. I remember Rocky,Bernie and of course Boz. Anyone name the other members . :?:
Ted

Postby apollonine » 27 Oct 2010, 14:36

Early on they were known as Lombard and The Tea Time Four but I've no idea who Lombard was...
apollonine

Postby EWW » 27 Oct 2010, 14:43

Anyone remember a local group called FBI or that was one of the names they
called themselves. I cannot remember the line up, can any of you? :smt086
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby apollonine » 27 Oct 2010, 14:53

Don't even go there!!!

apollonine

Postby EWW » 27 Oct 2010, 15:35

Dunno whats a matter with Cookie, he looks frightened to death. Perhaps its that
bloke screaming at him through a mike :-D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby apollonine » 27 Oct 2010, 16:09

We could do anything that had no more than 3 chords, line up was Mick Sayer, Patrick (Paddy) McCabe, John Murray, Brian (Dacious) Cook, and out of picture Harry Hackett. Dacious could play anything on a guitar and had previously been in The Devils Coachmen. I can remember once at Prickwillow village hall not one of the audience was under 55 and we were paid in full just to go home (lol).
apollonine

Postby womg3r » 16 Jan 2011, 15:20

Hey, The one and only Danny Ford was my Uncle Les ! Any info, press cuttings or stories would be gratefully recieved !
womg3r

Postby chihuahua606 » 17 Jan 2011, 17:57

I remember the Tea Time 4 - I have a pic somewhere but goodness knows where I'd lay my hands on it after all these years.

One of the players was called Fats, I know because I went out with him - but I think it only lasted for one date.

I didn't make it to the Kit Kat, used to see them at the Maids Head, along with Ricky Wilson and the Three Quarters.
chihuahua606

Next

Return to Local Music Scene.