LOCAL BAND FROM THE PAST

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: LOCAL BAND FROM THE PAST

Postby apollonine » 03 Aug 2014, 21:24

Wish I'd have known about this. Where was it Ev?
"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby EWW » 03 Aug 2014, 21:27

Downham garden centre. They did say where they are playing next but having
a senior moment and cannot remember where it is. Rocker may know as he was
there also.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby dandl » 03 Aug 2014, 22:08

dandl

Postby Lincslad » 06 Aug 2014, 21:44

I thought they said they were doing a gig in Denver, but he did say he might have got it wrong,but it was on their site, It was a great night and I did get some video of a couple or three songs ( and a bit of Roy Williamson but you cannot win em all!!!! :D sorry Roy,it was great.
Lincslad

Postby anne » 18 Mar 2016, 09:59

Music venues in the 60s were awsum around the town
In the market square the main ones were the Maids Head & The Palm Court other places followed in the 70s The River & Stable Bars,Woolpack
The Palm court was my favourite,we used to see most of the local bands playing there,as long as Diana (Fish) she had another nickname( The Boxer ) was kept happy,the band usually got though the nights playing
There were Americans from the local US bases aswell as Foreign workers off their ships visiting too.usually all went well,but quite often it all landed up in a fight,with Diana in the midst of it, I should think a lot of others can remember all this too,
anne

Postby sus » 30 Mar 2016, 23:00

i love listening to my dad's reminisin's about the good ole days, when him (Colin) and Jack Barry used to promote groups ect as Atkinson-Barry Entertainments mainly at Dads ole pub (maids head) and the corn exchange, he pushed PJ Probie down the high st on a piano to promote him :lol:
sus

Postby EWW » 23 Jul 2016, 12:25

Great night of nostalia last night at Downham. The Strollers put on a great show.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 01 Apr 2017, 09:54

Had a nice meal with R. Meek and some of the other old musso's this week and very nice it was too.

EWW

Postby EWW » 13 Oct 2017, 10:17

Christmas 1964.

EWW

Postby EWW » 13 Oct 2017, 10:25

Would love one of those wigs. What was the line up of the Hitch-Hikers?

EWW

Postby EWW » 13 Oct 2017, 10:33

EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 13 Oct 2017, 11:50

THat was great that you found this, wonderful times, I went to the first Shane Fenton night at the Corn Exchange, cannot remember who backed the boys from Mansfield but it was a fabulous ( remember everything was fab then ) night, the Fentones were absoloutely fantastic, what live music is all about, it will always be in memory that night, I got the autographs of the band on my Tech student union card!
Shane Fenton is no longer with us but I think the rest of the Fentones are still around. When I saw then the drummer was Tony Hinchcliffe, I think he left and went to South Africa. Bill Bonny was in Canada last I heard ( bass player ), Mick Eyre still around Mansfield area ( rhythym guitar ) and Gerry Wilcox I have a feeling is living in Devon now, something tells me near Dawlish not sure why. Great band, great bunch of lads and if any of the local bands came into contact with them you would know what I mean.
Nigel told me that he thought the Offbeats had supported them 35 times, wow they must have been great nights.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 14 Oct 2017, 11:54

One for "Rocker" it says the Pagans played for the Royal Family, will have to look into that one
to see if I can find any pictures (or one of the band may have some) :wink:

EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Oct 2017, 12:17

I wonder what the attendance record was for Shane Fenton and the Fentones, for sure with todays Health and Safety thingys it will never be beaten, any offers EWW?

I also see the Gentry mentioned as well in late 64, I remember seeing them in early January performing live in the open air in the square in the middle of Peterborough. My fingers were cold so what it must have been like for them you can imagine, the good thing is that it was not snowing or raining.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 27 Sep 2018, 09:12

Found a cutting from the very early days of Geoffs band. Look at the ticket prices. :)

EWW

Previous

Return to Local Music Scene.