Karaoke - does that count as music?

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Karaoke - does that count as music?

Postby cornishdave » 13 Feb 2009, 14:51

Before my minder - sorry, I mean wife - and I found our way to East Anglia, we used to frequent hostelries around the Chesterfield area (where we lived) indulging our love of singing through that often misunderstood and even more often maligned medium of - Karaoke! Since we've been here, we found a couple of guys who do it (karaoke that is!) and recently they've started a regular Monday night at the Sandboy on Bawsey Road. Like most things, it takes a while to get established but we're enjoying our Monday evenings although the atmosphere could be improved with a few more bodies - to sing or just sit back and have a laugh - but seriously, there are some pretty good singers there.
Anyway, what I really wanted to ask was if any of you guys with your local knowledge could tell me of any other venues where they have regular karaoke but I must emphasise it has to be suitable for us oldies - i.e. over 60! Our preferences are pop, rock, country, musicals - most things with a melody. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy (some of the) modern music - as long as it is music! But we don't want ear-splitting volume - we want loud enough to hear but not so you go home with a thundering headache! and we don't want mostly disco-type noise interspersed with the occasional song. Any suggestions (polite, of course)? :smt034
cornishdave

Re: Karaoke - does that count as music?

Postby cornishdave » 16 Feb 2009, 16:13

I posted this thread last Friday and, surprisingly there's been no response whatsoever. Does that mean nobody on the forum knows any karaoke venues? Maybe that's why we're having so much trouble finding suitable places because karaoke just hasn't caught on over here yet. I suppose that's not too surprising because, to be fair, it's only been popular on the mainland for just over ten years - so it's probably still a bit early yet.
Come on King's Lynn - if any of you remember Saturday night singalongs in the local with a self-taught pianist churning out every song under the sun - karaoke is the next best thing.
It'll be interesting to see if anyone has read this and comes along to the Sandboy tonight. At the moment, I'm the only Dave that gets up and sings - so if you do decide to come along and want to say hello, that'd be great!
cornishdave

Postby EWW » 16 Feb 2009, 16:52

Cannot think of anywhere that has a regular Karaoke Dave. Look in the Lynn News tomorrow
and that normally has them in the events section. Karaoke was very big round here years ago
Dave but has slowly died the death. I think I must have heard "I Will Survive" screeched out
by every Karaoke queen in a 50 mile radius of Lynn. There is one lady on here that likes them
very much and sings at every opportunity, surprised she did not get in touch.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby cornishdave » 16 Feb 2009, 18:20

Cheers EWW - thanks for that. I tried looking in the paper a while back which is how we found the two (separate) guys we follow but I wouldn't mind checking out any others in the area. Sounds as if you've attended your share of karaoke nights yourself - do you indulge or is it just the amount of time spent in the local watering holes?
cornishdave

Postby EWW » 16 Feb 2009, 19:17

Have done quite a lot of contracting work all over the country for many years Dave, and
with such a lifestyle comes much visiting of hostelries :smt111 :smt034
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby cornishdave » 16 Feb 2009, 19:37

Know what you mean. I had my share of travelling the country - as what most would call a 'rep' - only problem was it meant a different hotel every night - and probably 3 months or so before you came back around again. Didn't help to get to know the locals or the staff. I s'pose contracting is a bit different if you're staying in the same place for days or even weeks at a time but I bet you were glad to get home - I know I was.
cornishdave

Postby warwound » 16 Feb 2009, 19:39

Hi.

Karaoke isn't my thing - maybe i'd get into it if i gave it a go...?

Anyway thought i'd point you in the direction of The Sportsman on the A10 - between Lynn and West Winch.
I drove past it many times over the xmas and new year period and it always had a sign outside advertising karaoke events.

Haven't been that way recently and can't find any info on the web but it might be worth investigating.

Maybe the next forum meet-up could be a karaoke night somewhere. No need to worry about the weather - just the vocals!

Martin.
warwound

Postby cornishdave » 16 Feb 2009, 19:47

Hi Martin,

Haven't tried the Sportsman but it sounds as if it's worth investigating. I'll let you know what we find. Meanwhile, love your suggestion about a karaoke night for the forum and, based on the few folks I met yesterday for our photo expedition, may I suggest the Monday at the Sandboy?
cornishdave

Postby cornishdave » 22 Feb 2009, 13:46

Just to let you know the results of my enquiries re the Sportsman - they used to have karaoke but the last time they had some trouble so decided not to do it any more - shame how a few can spoil things for the majority, isn't it?
Also, the Sandboy - which is fast becoming our nearest and most consistent night out - has been undergoing some changes. I don't know the details - it's possible that someone with local knowledge can fill us in - but, as I understand it, last weekend the owners fell out with the manager (or the other way round) anyway, the manager went the same day and a new one - Andy -was drafted in at a moment's notice. Last Monday, poor Andy and his staff were to some extent still trying to find out how things worked but the evening was still enjoyable as far as I was concerned. By the way, did I mention that the drinks are half price? Anyway, having had a week to settle in, we're looking forward to seeing how things are tomorrow.
cornishdave

Postby rainbow123 » 23 Feb 2009, 11:43

Hi Dave....have just walked past The London Porter House and it has a notice in the window that says karaoke every thurs night plus there is a board outside advertising it for this saturday night as well.....
Rainbow123
rainbow123

Postby cornishdave » 24 Mar 2009, 11:33

Thanks for the information Rainbow. As yet, we haven't tried the London Porterhouse or the Crosskeys because the boss hasn't been too good - in fact, we haven't even been to the Sandboy for a couple of weeks.

Hopefully, we'll get to try them both soon and report back.
cornishdave

Return to Local Music Scene.