Maids Head to Hamburg

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Maids Head to Hamburg

Postby apollonine » 19 Jun 2010, 09:24

"Ready Steady Go" done a one off special featuring Otis Redding, Chris Farlowe and Eric Burdon in late 65, it must have been about the same time The Astrobeats played with them at the Glyderdrome How great that must have been for you and the band....
"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby Ted » 27 Oct 2010, 13:33

Hi I played bass for a while with the Pagans. John Nockolds,John Self,Robin.....?(drummer).Mike Prior. I remember one changing point in my musical 'career' was supporting Jimmy James + Vagabonds at Sunshine Dereham. Read about them in the Melody Maker of course. They were a sort of 'united nations' of members at that time. Realy blew me away ! Better than Geno Washington as Jimmy had/has a realy good 'souly' voice . At that time there were several members in the Vagabonds .Even a bongo drummer ,and another vocalist who did brilliant harmonies with JJ.Must have been a lean payout on the wages front !. After that I just wanted to be in a band with wind and Hammond ! . Jimmy still gigging I think .
On the Gliderdrome subject we should have supported someone there........could have been Dusty but she cancelled so it didn't happen. Good place to be but don't think it was realy a big deal to support there.
Venues I remember were; Corn Exchange.Colin Atkinson.(Johnny Kidd,Georgie Fame,PJ Proby) . Maids head.Colin Atkinson.(yep,saw Mc Clagan gig with TT4) Strange thing is most people(who never went there !)thought the Maids was a bit rough but I watched and played there and never saw any trouble.Heacham Village Hall(Rockin Berries.Billy J Kramer )Sunshine Floor,Dereham.Brian Cross(Small Faces).Bedford Club,Norwich.Cromer Rollerdrome.And virtualy every village hall in west Norfolk ! and of course the Kit Kat . :smt004
Ted

Postby Ted » 27 Oct 2010, 14:49

Just re-reading what I said about the Gliderdrome sounds realy bad(not a big deal). I don't remember being blown away when we got the gig(that didn't happen !)mainly because my 'best places' were small venues like the Bedford Club,Maids Head and I think there was one at Boston............Pineapple Club ? . If you liked big halls the Gliderdrome was the place to gig. :arrow: Someone who I think also did well, moving to the London scene, was Mike Patto from Norwich ?.He dropped in at the Maids from time to time . Guess everyone remembers 'Sharky's on Railway Rd.....Never closed !!! Did the guy (Jack Barrie ?) go on to be big in management ? Rolling Stones or.............. .
Ted

Postby barney47 » 28 Feb 2011, 23:26

great to read about the days of the local music scene....had myself a role with The Charades - most notable gig at the Corn Exchange with 'Downliners Sect' - large group all in large check suits !!....had a 2 number stint with T.T.4 at maids head....terrific and in the small surroundings of the maids, the atmosphere was amazing.....all followed in the 'early' hours by a 'fry-up' at sharkys with numerous other group members (mike prior always there) with our amazing 'ford thames' vans all parked outside - covered with all the messages from 'our fans' (some self-written i hasten to add)... great times - great people - great music
barney47

Postby apollonine » 02 Mar 2011, 15:02

Got to have been the greatest gig ever in our area during the 60's, so glad I was there. Hendrix and Clapton jammin' on stage together is forever stamped on my soul.... :shock:

"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby tristanlong » 24 Mar 2011, 10:25

Does anyone remember if the SMALL FACES gigged at Wymotsham near Downham Market, i have heard this story, is this true?
tristanlong

Postby stuartw » 06 Jan 2012, 19:46

Hi, yes indeed they did. A local farmer decided to stage a festival (might even have been called a "Love In"!!). I believe there were problems with the police and local authorities about charging for admission on a Sunday so he got around this by only admitting people who had a bunch of flowers (daffodils I think)....bunches of which he was selling at inflated prices next to the entrance! :) The Small Faces playing "Itchycoo Park" on a windswept stage in the middle of a field is permamnently etched on my memory!
stuartw

Postby spainguy » 08 Jan 2015, 18:42

I heard today that Ian McLagan, formerly keyboard player with Boz People and then Small Faces died of a stroke on 3rd December age 69. RIP.
spainguy

Previous

Return to Local Music Scene.