Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Jul 2022, 03:21

Starting in the Radio and TV department at John Lewis I was familiar with the brand names they sold, JVC, Technics and Sony, separates and rack systems complete with wooden, well chip board , cabinets and glass doors, what I did find surprising was we did not sell these companies speakers alone, apparently the companies were good at electronics and that was where the money went, what was left in the budget pad for a pair of speakers which were not that good.
The speakers we sold, all English, were Celestion ( Ipswich), Tannoy ( Bromley), Goodmans ( Fulham ), Mordaunt Short ( Haselmere ) and Bowers and Wilkins ( Worthing ). All of these brands are still going but are now in the hands of American companies.
The amplifiers we sold were all rated in Watts RMS ( Root Mean Squared - the average of the sound wave at a distortion figure of 0.001 ) and the loud speakers were suitable for amplifiers rated between 10 watts to xxx and 8 (ohms - resistance ).
Watts are nothing to do with the sound level and the volume of sound that is delivered that is measured in decibels and no manufacturer gave you that information, just turn up the volume and see and hear if that's good for you.
Silence is 0 decibels, a whisper is 30 decibels, normal conversation is about 60, heavy traffic is about 80 and this is where it can become painful to the ear. A rock concert would be about 100-110 decibels which why when you left the Kit Kat maybe your ears would be ringing till Monday morning! A jet at take off is about 130-140 decibels and a gun shot 160. A VOX AC 30 (watt) amp has been recorded at delivering 126 decibels, watts and decibels are confusing but anyone who has heard a VOX AC 30 would say it was loud enough.
The connection I did not now of at the time between myself and the VOX is by way of the Celestion company of Ipswich, we sold the "Ditton" which was a small shelf loudspeaker about 12" high for 99 pounds a pair, it was this company that supplied 12 speakers for the VOX AC 15 and the VOX AC 30, they also supply Marshall amplifiers with 12" speakers as well although the components and circuitry would be different and deliver a different sound depending on what you like. If only I had know an the time perhaps we could have stocked a large floor standing speaker with the 12" speaker in it, what might have been eh! Sony are still going but a lot of the names of the 1980's and 90's have just disappeared, things change over time, LP's, CD.s, Mini discs, I pods, walkmans, usb, now they seem to get most of the music from the Smartphone- no wires and no mains who saw that coming and what will come next, anyone remember TDK?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 16 Jul 2022, 08:12

A few years ago I contacted the Hunstanton Society asking them to consider a plaque somewhere near the site of the Kit Kat to celebrate the iconic building and how important it was to the town n the 1960's. There were, in my opinion several special sites in the town at the time, the Town Hall, the Blue Lagoon, The Golden Lion, The Capital Cinema, the Railway Station, The Sandringham and the Kit Kat. The Blue Lagoon, Railway Station and the Sandringham all turned into heritage car parks, The Golden Lion and Town Hall still stand as does the Capital Cinema now named the Princess Theatre and the largest carstone building in the world and then there is the Kit Kat and my suggestion of which nothing seems to have happened which is disappointing because Hunstanton is a tourist town, that is where most of its income comes from and it should remember its more illustrious past.
Hunstanton is not alone in this of course and it took a Norfolk resident to point out to Dartford Council that they should remember that it was the home of The Rolling Stones and the Vox amplification company. There had been on Dartford Railway station for a number of years a plaque that this is the place where Mick Jagger and Keith Richard met and decided to form a rock 'n roll band but Vox, well they had to wait for this chap from Norfolk, Stuart Leach, to make his pitch to the Dartford Council, but he succeeded and in 2015 a plaque was placed on the wall of 119 Dartford Road, that is between "ABS" company and "Hair Flare" that this was where VOX amplifiers offices were in 1956. The factory was a 100 yards down the road and is now an Esso service station and Tesco supermarket.
The plaque reads.

VOX Amplifiers, 1956.
From these premises music entrepreneur Tom Jennings and sound engineer Dick Denney produced the first VOX amplifier, changing the sound of popular music forever.

The Kit Kat would not have been the same without the Offbeats bringing alone their VOX AC 30 amplifiers, the amp that nearly did not get built but thats for another time, next weekend we are off to the north to Chaing Mai where I will meet an old chum to discuss the current state of the UK cricket, football and model railways whilst the wives will no doubt discuss Thai food and all things to do with make up and beauty! Al this at an International Buffet at one of the local hotels so as we have not been up for nearly 3 years now looking forward to that.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 27 Jul 2022, 03:32

We have now now returned from our break in Chaing Mai where it is still very quiet and 2 of the 3 shopping Malls have closed, however the Sunday Market in the old walled city is up and running not as busy as it used to be but still attracts a lot of people and it was here where the wife dragged into a bar where a modern jazz band was about to start playing. We spent a relaxing hour listening to things like "The girl from IPanema", " Fly me to the Moon" and as a reminder of the Kit Kat that old Ben E King number "Stand by Me" funny how things from the past keep popping up, like an Opel Calibra parked in someone's drive.
Found another little gem for the weekend which starts in the late 50's and continues through the 60's rigiht up to the present day, a story of excellence that just won't go away and look out for some familiar faces of the time.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 27 Jul 2022, 18:33

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 16 Aug 2022, 12:08

Just returned from 3 nights in Pattaya where the place is slowly returning to normal, well normal for Pattaya that is, more bars open and more with bands as well, local bands playing mainly western music, none of them compare to the bands we had in the area when I was at Hunstanton as I remember but then again maybe my memory is clouded with what I want it to remember but thats my recollection anyway. Bars here now stay open until 2am and from October till 4am and December until 6am incredible you wont me about at that time I can tell you that, although in days gone by I can remember having breakfast , going for a walk and see folks still drinking at 8am, long way to come to drink all time.
How things have changed the Kit Kat kicked off at 1930 till 2230. On a Saturday night you could get a licence extension past 2345. During the week you could get a licence extended to 0100 Monday to Friday, My dad used to say to me when I came in at 2300 "Trying to turn night into day my lad!"
It was still nice to hear a couple of bands playing a couple of old Kit Kat favourites, Stand by me" Ben E. King and Johnnie B. Goode by Chuck Berry the last well. The 2 bands we saw also crucified "Apache" by the Shadows and one girl who had a very limited range assaulted "Dancing Queen" amongst others, I suspect it was her band.
We are going local tonight if the rains don't come I expect if we band a bar with music it will be all Thai, not many ex pats here in Nakhon Sawan.
8 boston square

Previous

Return to Local Music Scene.