Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby Tresagreen » 29 Aug 2020, 12:26

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 30 Aug 2020, 09:03

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 30 Aug 2020, 10:16

The above is a Thai BBQ, no burgers or sausages! Soup in the middle and then slithers of meat to cook around the edges so pork, chicken, liver for us, beef here usually turns out to be buffalo and its best for shoes, one of the favourites here is squid and prawns, Earlier in the day we had been to Pizza Hut for a couple of pizzas, its not the same as you would expect, have a look on www.pizzahut.co.th the first I had a pizza here I was overjoyed to se all that squigly melted cheese only to find that it was actually a very sweet salad cream :idea: !
Whilst the pizzas were being prepared we made a visit to the Temple, there are round of places where different rituals are performed all costing a contribution to the Temple and its monks, part of the customs here and whilst you are at the Temple why not buy your lottery ticket, about 15 sellers in situ. The twice monthly national lottery is the only legal way to gamble in the kingdom so having a pack of cards could be fraught with danger :| . Fortune Tellers abound as well and Thais believe in ghosts so if you want to get the price of that house down get someone to say they have seen a ghost there, life is interesting here, have a nice day and I hope you like the Cliff Richard and the Shadows Show.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 30 Aug 2020, 10:25

Looks good but I see you have a toilet roll very handy and the door to the loo open ready for a quick dash. :lol:

The pizzahut link is no good here Boston and will not work.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 02 Sep 2020, 04:26

Hope you liked the Cliff Richard and the Shadows show, amazing to think that they were still getting that sort of reaction a couple of years after the Beatles had turned up and changed the music scene completely, the Beatles "Please Please me" album of April 1963 really was a game changer, the Offbeats took about 6 tracks from it for us a Sunday night and no party was complete without this LP and by the time the LP had been released we had also come across Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer, the Big Three, The Swinging Blue Jeans, The Merseybeats and the Fourmost non of which made it on a Sunday night, we had to wait until the end of the July before we got any more Merseybeat and that came from the Searchers with the old Drifters track "Sweets for my Sweet" and a great track it was as well. The Searchers was formed by John Mcnally and Mike Pender who recruited Chris Curtis and bassman Tony Jackson for vocals, the success of the single saw another rushed album in the late summer "Meet the Searchers" a great LP, 12 tracks only but put it with "Please Please Me." it was going to be great party night. The Offbeats were fans of the Drifters and the first 2 tracks on the LP were from the Drifters songbook, we were already used to hearing "Stand by Me" so "Sweets for my Sweet' just fitted the bill and another track we knew was "Twist and Shout" then there was "Money" which the Beatles also put on an LP later, the other two tracks that the Offbeats took off the album were "Farmer John " and the old Clovers hit which reached number 3 in the USA but was never released in the UK "Love Potion number 9." The first two albums by the Searchers, "Sweets for my Sweet'" and "Sugar and Spice" including the singles of the same name were sung by Tony Jackson in the main ( on LPs) but it was not long after the release of "Sugar and Spice" that Tony Jackson left the Searchers and was replaced by Frank Allen. I liked Tony Jackson and was sorry to see him go, there seems to have been some difference of opinion on who was going to be singing what on the 3rd album that caused the departure which was sad because up to that point I thought the Searchers were only bettered by the Beatles up until then.
So how about having a listen to the Searchers version of "Love Potion number 9"?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 02 Sep 2020, 07:45

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 05 Sep 2020, 04:29

My favourite track on that album "Meet the Searchers" was track 2 on side 2, it also came out on a E P remember them? 7" with 4 tracks the E P took the title from the track I liked "Aint Gonna Kiss ya no more." it came out in 1963 and have no idea how it performed but it was a goodie one I dont recall being played at the Kit Kat but you can't have everything can you.
The song was written by John Marcus Smith who wrote songs for Elvis, Roy Orbison and Bobby Vee amongst others and the following year became a top 10 UK hit parade entrant with a different name. Harry Webb became Cliff Richard, Lenoard Smith became Mart Wilde etc. This chap though had a penchant for stripped trousers that they had to pour him into, maybe he had a problem with temperature setting on the washing machine, anyway things came to head in Croydon and this followed by a similar wardrobe malfunction in Luton which made the front pages of the National Press, I think he did appear at the Corn Exchange as well. got the man yet? P.J Broby was John Marcus Smith. His career started with "Hold Me" got to number 3 and then he got into "West Side Story" and then went into decline, had a good voice though I thought, pity about the pants although no doubt the notoriety put feet on the floor or bums on seats.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 09 Sep 2020, 07:47

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 12 Sep 2020, 04:29

Denny Raven and the Sabres were a good band but I dont ever recall them playing at the Kit Kat, they did play at the Sunset Room a few times and I would say that they were Lynn's best band at the time, probably, as I would say that the Offbeats really came from the Sutton Bridge/Outwell area. Although each band had their own numbers they played I would say that probably about 50% of them were the same popular tracks of the time, they just did different versions or arrangements, personally of those duplicated tracks I preferred the Offbeats versions but that did not detract from the Sabres being a good band and that was just my personal impression and everyone has their own preference, mine is not better than yours. I never missed a chance to see Denny Raven and the Sabres when they were in town or when I could get transport to see them. I remember one particular night at the Sunset Room which I have probably mentioned before when Pete Carter's Bass packed up and I offered my guitar, not a bass for the night, no option really. I also saw the look on Pete's face when he saw the back on my guitar had a plastic button guard on and he must have thought from a distance it was a Fender Stratocaster only to find when it turned round it was a Watkins Rapier with a plastic tile stuck on! Still it saved the evening and thats what counted and I thought its was amazing this sort of thigs did not happen more often to guitars, amps, mikes and leads. Being connected, disconnected then transported around and going through it all again, things getting banged on doors, stairs and the vibrations in the Bedford Doormobile or whatever, that night at the Sunset Room was the only time I remember a malfunction.
That night at the Sunset Room, I think it was a Saturday night, I got in free somehow, someone must have taken me with them as I am sure I did not have any money to speak of whilst at Tech' there was a number I expected the Sabres to play, I thought it must be their signature tune, the Offbeats did not play it but would the Sabres?
As they used to say on well known TV show of so long ago can you name that tune?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 16 Sep 2020, 12:42

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 20 Sep 2020, 05:29

Previously I had told you my views on those 2 great LPs from the Beatles and the Searchers from 1963 and how well they went down at parties, they both their 2 big hits of the time on them which was unusual because LPs of the time did not do that, they were often a collection of songs or tracks not previously released so buying an LP from your favourite group was a bit of gamble, I bought a few duff ones due that. The two Ventures albums I bought contained tracks that I was more familiar with and they did not disappoint, so that would take me up to 1966 I think, I had also been buying the Beatles "Hard Days night" got 2 number ones on that and the rest of the tracks were not bad either, when the film "Help" came out I bought that, songs from the film were pretty good and on the strength of that bought "Rubber Soul" what a disappointment that was, I never bought another Beatles LP, their style had changed.
I was also a Beach Boys fan from the time I first saw them on "Ready Steady Go." From hearing the Offbeats playing "Surfin USA"yes this was a good band. The Offbeats also came up with "Barbara Ann", "Sloop John B" and we had also been used to "Do you wanna dance"" the Cliff Richard version. But I had no Beach Boys music and living at Hunstanton surely I should have, I could get a plank and go surfing down by the pier couldn't I? Well there were no waves big enough even in the winter at Hunstanton and where was the blue sea, I would just have live the dream some other way, get a Beach Boys album and live the American dream from sunny hunny, and so it was that in the summer of 1967 I went to see what they had at Wheelers of Tower Street Corner, that long thin shop with electrical appliances in the window, a walk away between them and the record department on the other side. LPs at the time would have been around 38 and 6 - 38 and 11 so what would the Beach Boys turn up, I found a copy of "The Beach Boys Greatest Hits Volume 2" for 32 and 6! No "Greatest Hits Volume 1" must keep my eyes out for that one but what of volume 2? 8 tracks I was familiar with so this was begining to look like a good buy and trust that the songs I was not familiar with would have some gems in there so I made the purchase and still think its a great album there were indeed some gems there, this was another party album.
Strangely enough this album and the one before it were the first I can remember where "Greatest Hits" appeared and other bands then followed this formula, you knew what you were buying.
When the album was released in the USA it had 12 tracks and only got to number 50 in the US charts, when it was released in the UK it was markedly different version and we got 14 tracks, the album got to number 3 in the charts in 1967, have a look at the two different releases and see which you prefer, I think we did better, not only that but this UK version produced a gem for me and it became one of my top 3 Beach Boys tracks, the other 2 being "Fun, Fun, Fun!" and "Help me Rhonda." The track which claimed the number 3 for me was never released in the UK, I never ever heard it played on the radio, tv or on stage by the Beach Boys or any other band and it was a cracker and it still sounds great to me.
We are off to the northern city of Chiang Mai ( Michael Portillo's Great Asian Train Journeys will give you a flavour on Youtube ) on Wednesday so while you heading for bed we will be setting off so take a look at the Beach Boys Greatest Hits volume 2 and see if you can guess which track is my number 3 for me, all will be revealed in due course and maybe you will wonder why on earth you have not heard this track before, or forgotten as the case may be and I have found a great version for you to judge for yourselves.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 30 Sep 2020, 09:05

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 03 Oct 2020, 04:40

How many have heard that track before then { She's not the little girl I once knew.), not too many is my guess but I think its a really great track. Its a strange fact that the Beach Boys released over 90 singles yet they only had 2 number ones in the UK, "Do it Again" and "Good Vibrations." IN the US they only had 4 number ones, the same two plus "Help me Rhonda" and "Kokomo" but plenty of near misses for us to enjoy.
The " Best of the Beach Boys Volume 2." is a great album still and if you have not heard it lately maybe its time to put it on and enjoy and especially the B side many tracks there which I suspect you will not be familiar with but will like.
The album comes with a special memory for me from 1967, summer of that year, August and it was a Sunday and the weather was great a perfect English summer's day. I had met this girl prior to the day and this was a date. I think maybe she worked in the Banking system and was a friend of Spain Guy. I think her name might have been Gillian, 16 years, short light brown hair, blue eyes. She lived in Lynn in a new build 1960's style but cannot remember where but somehow I found the house! Her dad had a Hillman Imp in a pale yellow or pale green colour and with the weather forecast being so good I arrived at about 0830 to pick her up and her younger brother who was about 10. Mum and Dad had a day to themselves, never would have thought about it then but now when I think back some precious time to themselves.
We set off back down the A149 through Hunstanton and headed east, in the past I had passed this place where I had seen cars parked for no obvious reason, about a dozen of them so this day this is where we are heading to see if my hunch is right there is a way down to the beach.
Passing through Brancaster Staithe and past Burnham Deepdale the main road swings 90' left we go over the River Burn at the Mill then another 90' turn to the left and a hard right and up the hill towards Overy Staithe, just through the village on the right is a small area where a dozen cars can park off the road and I am first so we are in. You can see all this better from the maps on the computer if you select the satellite view, cross the road and there is a small path which runs by the River Burn and eventually joins the Coastal path to the beach, a lovely sandy beach which can never be crowded. We had a lovely day down there and the track that reminds of that day is "Wouldn't it be Nice" it was nice really nice and a great memory.
I went to the beaches from the above to Wells many times between 1959 and 1972 and every time, the beach was great with pines at the back but the tide was always out and it seemed as if you could walk to the continent!
The A149 from Hunstanton to Sheringham and Cromer is a great drive, very scenic and one of my favourites there used to be a bus from Hunstanton to Cromer route 36 I think it took 2 hours, never went on the bus but some good times and memories over the years by car and by bike to Brancaster to see Stephanie.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 09 Oct 2020, 13:51

I have to admit that I am running out of things to say on here so anyone else who has any memories please step forward. Going down to the Kit Kat whatever time of the year and returning home afterwards are in the vaults of my memories as too are the nights I, we spent there at the Kit Kat, life was simple and good, did not expect too much, made our own entertainments did not worry too much about the Russians sending the bombers over and the Kit Kat well that was exiting that the best way I could put it but then the local music scene was pretty good too. Looking at the Lynn News page to see if there were any dances on at which Village Hall ( how can I get there?). The Kit Kat kept me going in the worst part of the year The begining of the year to the time Mart arrived, when the Mart went to Wisbech spring was just around the corner, hopefully. Even when things were bad looking forward to the Kit Kat gave me a lift and that got me through Monday at Tech as well.
I have another little gem coming up for you, its a tribute band paying homage to some of the songs we used to hear at the Kit Kat from a couple of American Bands, one form East Coast and one from West Coast. lasts about 6 minutes long so get your self a drink settle back and have a trip down memory lane, shall we say Sunday?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 11 Oct 2020, 12:25

8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.