Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby littleoldboy » 25 Jul 2020, 09:44

OK you beat me. I did think of black is black, but had no idea "Carlos" was Mike Kennedy!

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby 8 boston square » 25 Jul 2020, 10:52

Well you got there in the end and a good bit of fun all round, but who would have thought I would be there at the "BUFFS Club" on the very night my brother had booked him?!! He turned up more than once I recall so I reckon he must have travelled up and down the south coast a few times and when the autumn comes and you sail back to St Malo well not a bad place to live, the moulles marinaire (?) I ever had was the Hotel de Bretagne near the railway station there and another memory of the place that might make you smile it did me.
I had taken the early morning 'Cat' from Weymouth (0530) to St Malo would have got in about 0930/1000 time headed round to the old city and walking past the ramparts I noticed a pop up cafe selling "Bretagne Real Ale" What!! There was a story about a couple of lads from Morlaix who had gone to Wales and tasted real ale and decided they would have a go and here it was. Young lady comes to serve me and ask for the "real ale" she says you must try it first, well yeah of course so I got a small glass, yep this is ok I will have one and she says to me...........now remember this is France.........."would like a small glass or a pint!! Guess the answer but fancy a French girl talking imperial, long might it last.
So now next Wednesday I have another little gem I found quiet by accident, the Offbeats never played this but I think they would have done it well so its a million seller from 1960, an instrumental, I remember the tune but no idea who recorded it and what it was called, I think the man and his orchestra must have been big at the time but not to me, not my kind of music but its so catchy you could not help but get it stuck in your head. The mans name was a thought rather unfortunate and sounded like he was a fisherman from Brancaster Staithe. Till Wednesday then I am off to watch the cricket now.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 29 Jul 2020, 10:06

8 boston square

Postby EWW » 29 Jul 2020, 10:09

That takes me back to the dances at the Cornhall and other venues :smt061
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 30 Jul 2020, 10:15

I like the video that came along with this little clip and particularly the bit about people heading for the dance floor, you heard the first notes and you had to dance to this one and with tracks only lasting for just over 2 minutes you had to be quick, sometimes you had to ask to join a couple of friends if you could not find someone quick, that was a great memory for me along with the "twist" variations. Did you remember the track?
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 30 Jul 2020, 11:44

Remember it well Boston. Did you know there were lyrics to it as well ? Originally a German pop tune called Tivoli Melody. Written in 1958 by Heino Gaze.

Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 30 Jul 2020, 13:38

No did not know that I thought it was just "la la la la" etc it just seems to fit the melody best for me and thats how I remember it, how I would like to remember it.
Another gem coming up, famous songs sung by artists you would not associate it with, sometimes it works sometimes it does not. I always thought Elvis sang other peoples songs better than they could sing his and anyone remember James Last he put his own sound and arrangement on other peoples hits and did very well out of it. There are some of his he did differently to the way I thought he would and that was a disappointment but you get the idea. So you are looking for a famous singer who we heard several of his/her songs at the Kit Kat but singing a song from a different later era, from another famous group who we never heard at the Kit Kat. The clip is from the late 90's and something for you to look forward to, I enjoyed it and was lucky to find it, I dont think the singer ever sang any of the bands other songs indeed apart from from gruesome twosome in the 90's not many did so a few clues to get you thinking.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 31 Jul 2020, 10:28

Which gruesome twosome are we talking here Boston, the band by that name or a couple you consider 'gruesome' :D ?
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 31 Jul 2020, 11:17

I guess that the Gruesome twosome depends on your point of view, I thought they were ok even though I also thought that punks were not my scene but for brief period of time these two made a bit of impact on the charts especially with their hat tipping to a a group who were not someone a punk or younger audience would readily admit to. All will be revealed tomorrow, do not leave your house!!
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Aug 2020, 02:20

The gruesome twosome. they weren't really gruesome, were Erasure and they had great success with Abba tracks and its funny that a lot of artists at that time were big Abba fans, U2 for instance and the Clash were often back stage with Abba, surprise eh? So now to reveal who we danced to a Sunday night at the Kit Kat regularly who also sang rarely some Abba, well its our old chum Cliff Richard. later today you will find out which one he chose so you have time to consider the many options.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Aug 2020, 08:12

8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 01 Aug 2020, 09:21

Beat me to it . now here's one for you. A song and artists that feature, a food item, a city in America, medical terms and rubbish.......
Tresagreen

Postby Holcombe » 02 Aug 2020, 15:51

I've been trying to remember the name of a band who were a regular feature of Sunday nights in the first floor room at the Kit Kat in the mid to late sixties and possibly the very early 70s. There were six male members, two I believe we're brothers and were part of a family business in the Wisbech area, where most of the band members originated. They mainly performed covers of Motown and similar songs. Their performances were very polished and they always attracted a good turn out. But .. the name escapes me.
Holcombe

Postby Tresagreen » 02 Aug 2020, 16:41

Could these have been the guys? Out of sight blues band. Brothers Steve and Martyn Woolner.

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 02 Aug 2020, 17:24

When we were building power lines in the Upwell/Outwell/Wisbech area we used to hire JCBs from the Woolner business.
Do not know if its the same family. I think the driver we used to get was called Robert (Bob)Clingo and I think he married into
the Woolner family.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.