Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby EWW » 24 Jun 2020, 10:21

Yes it does evoke memories. Memories of when us old ones, were young ones. :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 24 Jun 2020, 10:46

No golden greats, but still have this in my collection :D

Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 26 Jun 2020, 16:26

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 27 Jun 2020, 03:46

Teri, thank you for the tape offer but I have no player anymore, like many I expect. My last machine a Marantz CP430 I donated to the Science Museum in London.
The interview with Bruce Welch above I hope will bring back a lot memories of the time, late 50's and early 60's and was recorded in 2008 when Bruce was 67.

Look out next week for a little gem, well its an ace I was hoping to have up my sleeve but being born in the 17th century and being analogue rather than digital seeing something and then getting it where you want it is not always as simple as that so t has taken time with help from New Zealand and from South Lincolnshire, I am sure you will love this next week.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Jun 2020, 06:49

Hi Boston, , never heard of the Marantz, but I'm sure the Science Museum appreciated it :lol: Great interview with Bruce Welch, what a really nice man. Can't wait for next week's ' little gem' , always amusing (and interesting) to read your posts. T.........ps, just looked up the Marantz, bit of a beast wasn't it. ? They are still for sale, usually on eBay and command quite high prices.

Last edited by Tresagreen on 29 Jun 2020, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 28 Jun 2020, 03:23

When I worked at John Lewis in the 1980's we sold the Marantz for 399 GBP, I managed to get mine for 200 direct from Marantz, one that had been re-conditioned, it made some great recordings and if you want to see one in action have a look at the film the Hunt for Red October, Jonesy is able to hear the silent Russian Submarine captained by Sean Connery because the Marantz allows you to adjust the speed. Its funny how connection happen and here is one that travels that way. I needed a new tape deck in the late 1980's and Marantz offered me there soon to be replaced demo model from HO, they told me it was not actually a Marantz as they were not in the position to make one of the quality they desired at the time so they got TEAC to make them a 3 head model with wooden side panels, it was very good. TEAC were a Japanese company from the early 50's specializing in recording equipment, also they had a professional arm TASCAM. Now the link to the Kit Kat was Roger Wagge's guitar, a Gibson cutaway acoustic, Gibson and TEAC became the same company. TEAC were the company that made cassettes like miniature reel to reel ones
8 boston square

Postby littleoldboy » 29 Jun 2020, 21:55

If we are going to talk kit, its time I came clean and confess to having made my living as a noise and vibration consultant. When I first worked at the Institute of Sound and Vibration in Southampton late 60s, recorder of choice was the Nagra 111. A real quality engineered single track 1/4 in reel to reel. I travelled the world with a Bruel and Kjaer sound level meter with its 1in condenser microphone slung round my neck connected to the Nagra in its leather case over my shoulder. Later we upgraded to the Nagra 1V SJ twin track. These beasts were standard issue at the BBC, Never cheap but so reliable. I once dropped a Nagra 50 ft of a chimney at Fawley refinery and despite a small dent in the case it carried on recording unharmed.
Check them out on e-bay, still around £5k. Something reassuring about watching the flicker of an analogue needle.
By the time I retired it was all digital and analysed live on site and the whole kit could fit in your pocket.
Happy Days
Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby 8 boston square » 30 Jun 2020, 10:01

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 30 Jun 2020, 10:13

I hope you liked that little gem from Fathers Day at Palmers Ale House and Kitchen in Long Sutton, Nigel Portass back on stage.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 30 Jun 2020, 12:05

SMOKIN !!!!!....... Wonderful stuff Boston, thanks for that.
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 30 Jun 2020, 19:13

Jools Holland could not top that and I am a great admirer of Jools.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 04 Jul 2020, 08:29

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 04 Jul 2020, 10:37

6 months after this show Jet had passed away, I hope you iiked this little reminder of the way things were, he was a great night out. 10 days before I retired in 2007 I booked myself a ticket at the Millfield Theatre in Edomonton about a mile from where Bruce and Hank first played together in North London, on the bill on this night were Jet Harris, Billie Davis and the Rapiers ( the local rock band ) who would be doing the backing. The Rapiers are a great band, Fenders, Vox AC30's, suits and ties, polished shoes just like it used to be, to me they are the best 60's band since the 60's.
The Rapiers opened the show and Billie Davis came on before the interval, at the interval I had a walk down the side of the theatre but still inside when Billie Davis came running, well shuffling towards me, threw her arms around me and gave me a big hug, "who is this woman get her off!" Who could have imagined after Danny singing "Tell Her" ( he switched the gender remember ) that one day many years in the future that I would meet Billie Davis like this?
The second half started with the Rapiers again but were soon joined my Jet Harris, he likes his comedy routine and on this night it was about one his pet hates, does anyone remember Take That, Boyzone, East 17 and the like the Boy Bands of the 90's? Jet gets really worked up about them "they are not bands! Not one of them plays an instrument! They are not bands so dont get me going!" It was a great night of memories, good ones, no one was disappointed with what they heard, the hits sounded like they should but it all has to come to an end and we all have to go home. As I am walking in roughly the same place I had been attacked by Billie Davis someone comes up behind behind and askes if I enjoyed the show, I turned round and it was Jet Harris! "It was great Jet, really enjoyed the evening, a great start to my retirement." He told me he was pleased about the show's reaction, we tend to forget sometimes that those on stage can entertain us and enjoy the evening as well and get paid for the privilege, the affection goes both ways, never forget that, anyway thats how I met Jet Harris for the first time and he is just like he is on stage, dry sense of humour, very humble person and again who would have thought how many heroes you meet on life's journey who you first heard at the Kit Kat..............."Went to the corner to buy myself a limousine." (Footstomp).
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 08 Jul 2020, 11:21

In July 1962 I left Hunstanton Secondary Modern, short term continued my paper round of Old Hunstanton from W H Smith's kiosk at the station for which I got 12/6 a week and on Saturday when I got paid I then went home for breakfast nefore cycling down to Heacham from 0900 to 1200 I was the telegram man 10/- plus a 1/- a mile, race back home for dinner then at 2pm I was the telegram man for Hunstanton until 5pm, 10/- plus 1/- a mile, home for tea then at 7pm I was at Thomas's Showboat handing out the balls on the bingo. September arrived and the jobs disappeared it was time to go to Lynn Tech' and 5 bob a week pocket money. When I arrived at Tech' I had to join the students union, it was free and I got a card.
I saw a poster at the Corn Exchange, Shane Fenton and the Fentones are coming. my home town band got see them but with a likely 1030 finish how to get back to Hunstanton, need to get a lift, I did manage to arrange one so all was set for a great night.
The stage was to the left at the bottom sw corner and I got a good spot near the right hand corner, when the Fentones came out they just appeared to be getting ready to start when they suddenly launced into "The Breeze and I" no 1234, amazing and the sound was the same spot on, just like the record, after a few numbers bassman Bill Boney announces "its time to meet the Moody Guy" and suddenly Dhane Fenton arrives on stage as if he had run and jumped onto a trampoline then hit the stage, extraordinary arrival. Brilliant 1st half and go through the doors that lead to the "bogs" and standing next to me Jerry Wilcock lead guitar of the Fentones, started talking about Mansfield and how much I liked the show and he invited back to the dressing room to meet the band. lucky or what? Lovely bunch of lads no aires or graces just down to earth. Jerry gave me Mick Eyre's Fender Stratocaster and showed me how to play the Breeze and I, I was no guitarist but what a moment, first big stars I had met and by chance in a bog! Autographs on the only thing I had, the students union card! Great live band and I think the Offbeats backed them about 35 times.
Sunday Nights continue as usual and are the highlight of my week and before I know where I am its July 1963 Tech' is closing for the summer holidays around 10th July and I have a summer job at the Sandringham and you will never guess who I meet here, local and national heroes.
8 boston square

Postby littleoldboy » 09 Jul 2020, 09:06

Hi Boston,
If I remember correctly there were two Shane Fentons. The first was Johnny Theakston who died very young about the time you were talking about. His friend and roady, Bernard Jewry took over vocals and the "name" Shane Fenton at the suggestion of Johnnys mum. Bernard late became.....Alvin Stardust
Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.