Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby Tresagreen » 21 May 2020, 08:39

catleugh1968 wrote:How many more times are we going to see sunday night the kit kat
hopefully many, many more. You don't have to read them, but most of us enjoy the reminiscences. It's called history, which but for people like Boston would be forgotten. Keep it going Boston.
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 23 May 2020, 05:15

The easing of the lockdown started last Sunday, inter provincial coaches running from Bangkok to the north, night curfew to remain until end of the month.
I went to a shopping Mall on Sunday of last week, temperature checked then, write name, write phone number write time and am given a green sticker for sleeve. Only one restaurant open so we approached, write name. write phone number, write time! We were then shown to separate tables, loads of staff but no organization at all, drinks came 3 minutes apart! The police and army then turned up had their photo taken nd left. When we left write name, write phone number, write time! Across the Mall was an ice cream parlour, people siting, 2.3 and 4 to table, not seen by the authorities or maybe could not be bothered. I went to Tesco, straight in and out no problem then down to Boots, the girl caught me with her clip board, write name etc.. by this time I getting annoyed with the over kill so...…..name...……...James Bond...…..telephone number....Whitehall 1212!! When we left the shopping centre we had to go through the same process, some had those codes for photographing but they did not seem to work well and others just walked out, tired of waiting.
Monday went to The V square mall and it was the same story there unless you went to eat at the food park, no signing in or out but only one person per table. I got the impression that the locals would be getting bored with this soon and would not bother going or if the did they would not sign in or out.
Bank yesterday and after waiting FOR A 6'+ lizard to cross the road, no signing in, well there was but no one was bothering anymore, which confirms what I thought would happen. Local restaurants, most are happy to let couples sit together at the same table, seems sensible to me.
Looking back at younger times and how a little knowledge could be dangerous of funny I can look back how amusing some things seemed me. I remember when I was maybe 4 or 5 the grown ups were talking about trade in the shop not being good and if it continued how dad might have to go down to the labour echange to which I replied...…"I always thought dad voted Conservative!"
On another occasion I was in the garden with friend and another kid arrived in the next garden and started throwing stones at us, which we returned where upon the other kid said " You should not throw stones, it you break my head I will have to get a new one on the NHS!" We burst out laughing at that one.
This next one is from Hunstanton, The MP is coming to speak to the Young Cons and I really thought I don't wont to be there this going to be really boring, I was 14 coming towards 15 but the Chairman talked me into going. His name was Denys Bullard, a farmer from Emneth, near Wisbech, looked really daper, typical Tory Gent! He said something in his short speech that I never thought I would hear from a politicians lips, always remembered it and its still true today...…."trouble with people today is there is too much say and not enough do."

I don't know if anyone recalls outside the station at Hunstanton there was Café on the corner, Cassie's Corner Café, Tony was my age so I spent a hours in there with him. His mum ran the Café and his dad was a taxi for hire, they had a Juke Box as well, Elvis Presley "Are you Lonesome tonight?" always reminds me of that place, its still there but not Cassie's anymore nor for a long time. A few years ago I met up with Tony after many years and we met Nigel and Ann and took a stroll down memory lane. Later Tony and I went to the Sandringham fish and chip shop in Tower Street and he told me that his family were actually from Poland and arrived in England before the war, changed their name and were so grateful to be taken in and out of Hitler's clutches, over 50 years and I had no idea, amazing what you do and don't know. Tony is retired now but still knocking about in the Heacham area perhaps we will meet again who knows.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 27 May 2020, 13:25

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 27 May 2020, 13:59

The last of my model bus reminders, the Eastern Counties that I remember from the late 50's and early 60's. This one is a Leyland PD1 but the ones I saw were the ones from the Eastern Coachworks at Lowestoft with Bristol engines, have a look at the upstairs seating, a 4 seater bench. This service 37 was the Ely to Lynn service whereas I would have liked the 35 Hunstanton to Lynn and then there was the 36 Hunstanton to Wells, Sheringham and Cromer. I can also recall going a few times on the 2 service from Millfleet to Peterborough it left on the south eastern corner calling at Wisbech, Eye and Thorney seemed to take ages to get there.
As my time ran out at Tec', exams done and 10 days to go before we broke up it was a strange time, we had to attend, tutors were with us but nothing to teach us, bring a book but you still have to register. Our PE chap was Phil Collison he eventually moved down to Downham, maybe he lived that way but was Downham more prestigious? Ken Richardson I don't remember what he taught us but he was looking at moving to Wisbech, more prestigious? More to it than what appeared but I recollect a few interesting things with Ken, he looked like Ronald Reagan but spoke with an east midlands accent and had some great cheeky throw away comments...……." lets be honest lads Norfolk girls are not the prettiest, present company accepted of course." He took to the blackboard one day and showed us how bookies never lose how the odds changed but they still never lost.
His most prophetic comment though was and remember that this was 1965, talking about Lynn Tec'....."this place is in all but name a university." Now is it called University of West Anglia"? Been that for a few years I guess but it did have the feel of being a lot more grown up than big school.
My Tec' time was also my Kit Kat time and breaks in the morning were usually across the road at Hannam and Barnard's shop, Thursday and Friday looking at the music papers to see what position records were in and who had new record out. Danny Ford and the Offbeats would be at the Kit Kat that was for sure but who would be the guest group? No one ever knew and they must have been contracted by Nigel so someone must have known, the first I knew was when I went into the Kit Kat and stuck my head round the door to see the name on the drums then it was upstairs quick, half of the dreadful Watney's Red Barrel and grab a table on the window side and await the rest of the crew.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 30 May 2020, 15:16

8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 30 May 2020, 16:03

Wow, never seen that before Boston. A sad and terrifying sight and my God didn't those firefighters have a job on their hands. A couple of years ago the site was still an eyesore, don't know if it's been fixed yet. I'm sure EW will know.
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 30 May 2020, 17:30

No.. is the answer to that one Ms Green. It is still an overgrown eyesaw. Planning permission
has been granted for shops and flats to be built on the site. Walked past it today going back
to the carpark to get my motorbike.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Previous

Return to Local Music Scene.