Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby EWW » 14 Mar 2020, 11:06

Very nice addition Ms Green. Thank you.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 14 Mar 2020, 12:24

My pleasure E, like you I just love digging for information.
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Mar 2020, 16:49

Thank you Tresagreen, the Torinos I don't remember but they look the part and Wisbech certainly is within the remit IMHO, Hunstanton was 15 miles away and Wisbech 12 miles. I would doubt very much whether the Tea Time Four ever appeared at the Kit Kat, my dealings with them cost wise would not have made it a viable prospect. In November 1965 I had a hard jo to get them to come to the Sunset Rooms for 18 pounds they wanted 20 and from Nigel told me the Kit Kat were miserly in payment. The Tea Time Fours rate would only have gone up after that. Boz really took off and I remember he insured his face for 25k in those days that was a fee so to appear at the Kit Kat I really doubt and the rest of the names mentioned were names I am familiar with but hw could you get a big band onto the Kit Kat stages? As with everything when we look back, me included, some things we recall as we want them to be not as they really were. There may have a 1000 members but you could not have got a 1000 in there, it was not possible, in fact the often mentioned 600 may be legend. Try and remember how big it actually was. There were 7 tables on the prom side and one was beside the stage so that 28 people, the other side was 6 tables that 24 so 56 seated round the outside so try nd work out from that how big the ballroom area was and ten allow 2' feet for every person. Now think about the area by the bar and how many would be there and think what figure you come up with. Downstairs there was always plenty of room apart from the Offbeats break so maybe you would 50 down there before the deluge.
The rules were interesting never seen them before, was never issued them and was never asked to show my membership either, they were goo times though wernt they, maybe the best and are will still "The Young Ones"? Always but now we are the OLD ONES!

Not to do with the thread but today and for the last few months we have been dealing with difficult circumstances in our lives, this bloody virus! When you consider the population and the number of deaths it small and it likely is no worse than the usual flu that comes with the winter but this time the effect has been felt worldwide and most of us reading this are over 70 and that makes us all the more vulnerable so I hope you are all ok and taking care of yourselves, you seem to be having a worse time than I am. It looks like right now that I will be having to cancel my spring trip to the UK with measures the HMG seem to heading towards and have another loo in the autumn. Here we have no restrictions, just be aware and take care. I have no idea what the true scale is here, you cannot trust what they say, money will control what is said. In 2 weeks we go to a nice quiet resort on the south coast called maepinmresort.com its lovely everyone is in bed by 11pm virtually no tourists, safe shallow sea, great hotel and restaurant, get away from the problems where a kilo of langoustines on the beach is 7 quid and life is good and warm, this was to have been our last break away before my return to Blighty but times change.
I will be fine here you all make sure you take care of yourselves as well. We never had these sort of problems in the 60's did we.
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 15 Mar 2020, 17:46

Hi Boston, I was never fortunate enough to attend the Sunday night revelry, so would not know about the numbers or bands. I found the info on a website from Dersingham. I agree 1000 does seem rather wishful thinking. The sixties were, in my opinion, the best of times and we were lucky to have been there....... As for the virus, it's becoming quite scary. Nothing we can do but be extra careful over cleanliness and not coughing and spluttering over everyone. Thanks for your good wishes to everyone, enjoy your holiday and stay safe. T
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 15 Mar 2020, 20:37

Seconded Ms G.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 21 Mar 2020, 20:13

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 22 Mar 2020, 04:03

I hope that brought back some memories of what it was like when we went out dancing, going to the dance, whatever was a 'gig'?
The numbers you see here show what Sunday night was like at the Kit Kat but on a smaller scale of course, The Dave Clark 5 were the resident band on Thursday night at the Tottenham Royal, just down the Tottenham High Road at Edmonton was the Regal another venue, its still there but as it was and in Southgate was the Royalty another dance hall of the time, I went there once with my flat mates from Potters Bar. The other big venue in North London was the Finsbury Park Astoria although the huge building is still there, its name has changed several times and dancing is not on the agenda anymore. I never thought of it at the time but all that dancing kept us in shape pretty well without us even noticing it.
Well I hope you liked that trip down memory lane, as far as I know only Dave Clark and Lenny Davidson are still alive. Dave Clarke kept control of all of the band's music which is why you don't see any on compilations. he was last reported to be living in SW London.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 28 Mar 2020, 04:15

I thought I would tell you how I ended up in NW Norfolk from the East Midlands and its a story that often turns out in a different way to what you thought it would and not just for me!
This story goes back to just after the 2nd World War, my uncle Bennie is a guard working on the railway and is based at Leeds his wife Elsie is my mum's sister. I can only imagine that he saw the condition of the railway in Yorkshire and decided to move to a more secure area of railway operation he was looking at being based at Kings Lynn because he thought that as the Queen used Wolferton for visits to Sandringham this was a safe haven. His first move was to the Midland Region and he lived in Mansfield, a town 12 miles north of Nottingham. I reckon this was about 1947/8 I was too young to recall but we moved to Mansfield in 1948 to run a newsagents just a mile from Elsie and Bennie. In 1952 Bennie got his prized move to Kings Lynn and also got one of the railway cottages at Wolferton next door to signalman Gilbert Green, just in time for the floods! I started having summer holidays in Wolferton with auntie Elsie in 1954 and remember them talking about the floods and seeing the water coming up through the woods to within 100 yards of the cottage.
Next week I will tell you what a small boy thought it was like growing up in Mansfield a town with collieries around it, some textile and clothing industry, oil fields at Eakring to the east and a very small amount of farming to the south east, at that time Mansfield would have been about twice the size of 'Lynn' and its main feature was magnificent. Chesterfield 12 miles to the north west had its crooked spire, Mansfield had a superb viaduct which ran across the middle of the town, I could never imagine it ever falling down it looked so strong.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 31 Mar 2020, 12:10

In these unprecedented times I guess we all have lots more time on our hands than we usually do and we are not able to conduct our lives in the way we would prefer, I also suspect we are spending more time on here trying to keep ourselves amused and not going crackers with all this self isolating and all that that entails. Things here are pretty much the same as the UK although I go out for a bike ride TWICE a day, one to get cats food! Its a case of filling up the time so this how I do it, it just about works.
Get up about 0700 and get breakfast ready, then off for the bike ride before the heat of the day comes, there are not many people about, a lot staying home which is good but no work no money which brings other problems about paying bills, that new car, motorbike etc not to mention food and drink, that is their problem and it is a problem. When I get back I run the model railway to keep the tracks clear of dust and have been packing some away after a clean and dust so this week saw the EWS class 67 and the Deltic class 55 "TULYAR" head for the box for a rest and in a couple of days time it will be the turn of the green Class 31 from the Kings Lynn era, this usually last about 15/20 minutes, then I turn on the computer and see whats been happening in the world, any emails etc and about 0945 time for a coffee and see what needs attending to, have some rust to deal with out back, luckily I have a little "rust-o-leum" will I have enough I can only get it at one shop in Pattaya and I doubt we will be going there this year! The rains will soon be with us so the protective paint which is like "Hammerite" might wait till the rains are over, the weather is cooler to be applied. I now read my book for a while, just finished "The Defector" by Danial Silva and am starting "The Art of War" by Stephen Coonts, have read them before but luckily I kept them as I can only find 2nd hand books in tourists centres which we wont be in for while, travel not encouraged and likely to come across road blocks by police or military. Lunch comes up around mid day then we hit the sack for the hottest part of the day! Up at 1600 for the 2nd bike ride of the day and get the cat food, fried chicken neck in batter minced! Cup of tea and check the world for news then water the garden, read a book, have a bath then find a film to watch, last night it was Mission Impossible 2, onto youtube and watch a carbide or bigjettv and see what is happening at Heathrow by which time the day is at an end.
Tomorrow we need to go the bank, supermarket, pharmacy so it will be the one day of the week that will be different.

As we have all this extra time, tomorrow I hope to be able to give you a feel for what Mansfield was like to grow up in, Saturday seem a long way away all of a sudden and I know its not strictly to do with the Kit Kat but these are not normal times are they, so keep your spirits up, mines a whiskey, hang on in there we need to encourage and not criticize, things are not going to go to plan unsurprisingly but the people in charge are doing what they think is the right thing, I hope they are right and it just goes to show what a fine line is the life we lead is when the slightest thing can disrupt almost everything and affect everybody so be positive and think of happier things and times to come.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 31 Mar 2020, 12:18

:smt023
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Apr 2020, 13:52

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 01 Apr 2020, 14:12

This is a photo of Mansfield Market in the 1950's pretty typical of markets of the day, local traders selling local things and things that were useful and not a "made in China" box to be seen!
The photo was taken from the south east corner of the market and the road is the one that eventually went to Nottingham. All the main shopping streets lead off the market, going straight head to the north east corner would take you to Leeming Street home of the Museum, the Palace theatre, The Grand Cinema and the Palais de Danse. The feature in the middle of the market is the Bentinck Memorial and over the top of that leading westward towards Chesterfield was Westgate where you find Marks and Spencer, British Home Stores and Woolworths, a small market and the Granada Cinema. On the other side of the market and heading to the left and southwards was Stockwell gate where you would find a large Co op and the at the end the Empire Cinema. I lived on the east side of town so I would turn right just before Leeming Street and head down under the viaduct to St Peters church and catch a 105 or 107 bus to Rainworth or Blidworth to the top of Rock Hill, it was uphill for 1 1/2 miles and cost a 1d.
We had 6 cinemas in Mansfield, Hippodrome, Empire, Granada, Grand, Ritz and Rock, Saturday morning matinees for the kids took place at the Granada, Grand, Empire and Ritz it cost 6d to go and I usually went to the Granada or the Grand, The Rock put a show on on Saturday afternoons which was handy if the weather was not good.
If the weather was good Tichfield park was where we headed which meant walking through alleysway near the Mansfield Brewery, what a stink that malt and brewing made but I also knew that the Brewery had a first class reputation and not just in Mansfield either as I would find out later in life.
I remember the winter, frost appearing on the wooden fences by the railway bridge and looking into the sky and there were so many stars to marvel at and when the snow came out came the sledge and its was off to Jacko's Hill, half way down was a footpath so when you hit it you flew up in the air!
To a little boy growing up Mansfield was a great place to be.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 01 Apr 2020, 14:33

When I worked in that area I used to get the best black pudding in the world from a butches shop on that square. I know
it was the best in the world cos he had a big sign that said "world champion black pudding maker" in the window. :)
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 01 Apr 2020, 18:28

It's still there Boston.

Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 02 Apr 2020, 03:42

Its just magnificent thanks for that have not seen that shot. When I lived there, Mansfield Town station was at the southern end of the viaduct and passenger trains never crossed it only coal trains. The line to Nottingham Midland also closed in the 1960's but in the 90's there was a change of heart and between 1993 and 1998 the "Robin Hood Line" opened up from Nottingham Midland to Worksop ( home of Wilco's) and at long last I took a train over the viaduct, a 40 year wait!
Saturday I will tell you about transport in Mansfield and how I got about.
8 boston square

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.