Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby EWW » 26 Oct 2019, 09:58

Mag 7 is one of my favorite goodie baddy films. Flint I did not like at all. In several quiz's over the years I have been in the same
question has come up several times. Without the help of Google in the quiz the main charecters are easy, Brynner, Coburn, Mcqueen
ect. There is nearly always one that quizers fail to get. We did and lost points, but still went on to win through to the next round
of Top of the Town quiz at the RAFA club which was then in High Street. Merlin Saddleton was the quizmaster.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 26 Oct 2019, 15:33

Is a good old quiz question that catches out lots of older people who were the original Magnificent Seven? Well here they are............Yul Bryner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughan, Horst Bucholtz and Brad Dexter. The music was good as well Elmer Bernstein was it, I did have the single.
Another film I liked was "the Time Machine" with Robert Taylor, 1961 ? I am not surprised he went to find Lana, I would have as well!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 26 Oct 2019, 16:29

Most people forget Horst Bucholtz. And it was Rod Taylor. Certain of my family call me "Rod" after the said actor. :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 02 Nov 2019, 02:49

As I have probably said before I still recall my first visit to the Kit Kat on a summer Sunday night in 1962 but had no idea what was coming luckily Danny Ford usually announced whose track they were playing next but who was Chuck Berry and Fats Domino? The Ventures I had heard of with their 1960's hit "Walk Don't Run." but had never heard "Perfidia" and "No Tresspassing" how did I miss them? I expected I might be hearing Elvis and Cliff but who else? Who were the musical heroes of that time? Where and when did Rock and Roll really start, one day it was just there wrapped up as popular music and I was thrilled by it.
in 1986 the CEO of Atlantic Records opened the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland , OHIO and the first man in was Chuck Berry followed by Fats Domino what a surprise! Also that year came Sam Cooke, the Everly Brothers and Ray Charles among others, off to a good start then.
1987 saw The Coasters, Eddie Cochran, Roy Orbison and Ricky Nelson among others. 1988 we get the Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Drifters. 1989 We get the Rolling Stones and Dion. 1990 Its Bobby Darin, The Four Seasons, The Kinks and the Who amongst others. 1992 The Yardbirds. 1996 David Bowie and the Shirelles. 1997 The Bee Gees.1998 Gene Vincent. 1999 Del Shannon. 2002 Brenda Lee and Gene Pitney. 2003 The Police and the Clash. 2006 Black Sabbath and the Sex Pistols.
2008 The Ventures at last and the Dave Clark Five. 2009 Little Anthony and the Imperials. 2010 ABBA and the Hollies. 2018 Dire Straights and 2019 The Zombies.
Now I have not listed everyone who was inducted into the Hall of Fame, some took a while to get there and there are some famous omissions as well so how are they selected? Well it was done by vote, apparently and there is the time difference to consider as well but there is one glaring group missing on this list have you managed to spot it?
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 02 Nov 2019, 02:59

Two artists that I forgot from the list in 1986 Buddy Holly and in 2001 Queen, so who is missing?
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 02 Nov 2019, 07:06

Is it The Shadows?
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 09 Nov 2019, 03:13

Tresagreen you are almost right the correct answer was Cliff Richard and the Shadows, neither Cliff or the Shadows or indeed Cliff Richard and the Shadows have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame which I find amazing in some ways, I cannot imagine growing up without Cliff and Elvis they were the base f all rock and roll in my formative years and I suspect the answer lies very much with Cliff's lack of success in the USA, he only ever had 3 top 10 American hits and then not until the 1980's and they were "Devil Woman", "We don't Talk Anymore" and "Dreamin." Although he was very successful in Europe and around the world the USA evaded him like many others. It also shows how inward looking the USA can be at times. I expect it would have been very different if the group were American! The other thing to also bear in mind is that in the late 50's and early 60's a lot of American hits were also covered by UK artists with Marty Wilde as an example who did "Dream Lover", "Teenager in Love.", "Bad Boy" and "Donna" to name but a few from Bobby Darin, Dion and the Belmonts and Paul Anka. Craig Douglas also got in on the acts as well but Cliff well I can only think of two. Tommy Edwards 1958 hit "Its All in the Game." which got to number 2 in 1963 and the 'B' side to "I'm Looking out of the Window." which was released in 1962. The song was a song we got on a Sunday Night at the Kit Kat although the song had its name changed. Originally it was hit for Billy Freeman in 1958 and called "Do you Want to Dance." for Cliff Richard and the Shadows it came as "Do You Wanna Dance." At the Kit Kat I remember when I heard it "well whose version are the Offbeats doing, Cliff's or The Beach boys?" Time plays its ghastly tricks! The Beach Boys version did not come out until 1965 so now we all know it was Cliff's version and a very good rendition it was as well
The Shadows don't seem to have an impression in the USA either although there were plenty of American groups similar to them so a wrong that's needs righting but don't hold your breath
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 09 Nov 2019, 09:02

Many years ago on a visit to the USA to see family I was talking to my niece and her husband and they said they had been to see some
English guy called Cliff Richard in concert. This was in upstate New York.I told them that Cliff was a big star over here and in lots of
countries in the world.

They said the show was great but they had never heard of him. The only reason they went was because they had been given free tickets
as a promotional thing.
EWW

Previous

Return to Local Music Scene.