Where is THE Best Place to Be - MNR - Union Of South Africa

Post here news and information about local events - Pub, Club, Society, Competitions, Exhibitions, etc. From around the local King's Lynn, Hunstanton, Wisbech, Downham areas. Also more general national information and money saving tips are welcome.

WHERE IN THE WORLD DO YOU LIVE? Get yourself placed on the map.

Where is THE Best Place to Be - MNR - Union Of South Africa

Postby Hornchurch » 15 Aug 2019, 17:44

'

As per title = Where is "THE" best place to be, to see THIS amazing beauty in just under a fortnight's time ?

It's due to appear at the M.N.R (Mid-Norfolk-Railway) & is supposed to be hauling the following trains in 2 weekends time

The Fast Fryer - Saturday 24th at 7pm

Cream Tea Special - Sunday 25th at 3:30pm

I've NO interest in traveling on the train itself, inside the carriages - that holds ZERO interest to me.....

I'm ONLY interested in seeing the 1930's LNER A4 Gresley 60009 Union of South Africa, engine running, itself = Just the engine only.

By that, I don't care "if" the carriages are attached - I just wanna see, hear & photograph the octogenarian-engine & enjoy it's art-deco' look :wink:

Given the limited reports I've (ever) heard about the M.N.R, it can sometimes be a (little) bit shambolic, as it's run/staffed by volunteers.

Whilst THEY might run the station/stuff, they DON'T run THIS engine. - Trip-Advisor is NOT kind, regarding their "lack of notification" :oops:

I've only ever been to Dereham platform ONCE (it was deserted) & I found it both memorable, enjoyable & what few staff were there, were helpful.

Thing is, on the "Ale Trail" day, it MIGHT be a bit chaotic, as Beer festivals bring all sorts to the fray, not just railway-nerds (Guilty, both counts :lol: )

Having NEVER been there on a busy 'event' day, I would imagine that Dereham Station itself might just be a packout....... (Sat/Sun).

From what limited I gather, it would appear that this (superb) "Mallard" type engine, is ONLY gonna be there Sat-Eve' & Sun-Aft'rnoon

My plan is to take a decent camera & HOPEFULLY get some shots of this otherwise "rare beast", as I've only ever seen the "Mallard" twice**

(** some 35-45 years ago)

Ideologically, it would be nice to see & find '60009' somewhere along the line (no crowds?), passing thru, or maybe at another station ?

Having a distinct lack of (overall) general-knowledge of THAT area (Dereham to Wymondham), I'd like to ask ANYONE here on K.L.F

Can you (having had any prior experience), recommend, or suggest any particular place to see this superb beast, without huge crowds ?

I know there ARE a few vantage points along the way, I only traversed it ONCE, a few summers ago, yet could only find ONE as ideal

( it's name escapes me, as I type this, but I will return, once the penny drop in the old beer-addled-cogs :wink: )

Folks reading this will (naturally) say "Ring 'Em" = BUT

Station & M.N.R staff have NO control (directly, as I'm aware), over the jurisdiction of the engine - So, am guessing phone-calls will be vague

I'd rather chance my luck on intuition (worked well in past), or, on the recommendation of ANY M.N.R users here, who can suggest good location(s).

I think the biggest thing for me, is "it's" arrival-time, as I'm sure the crowds WILL flock around it (it's due for boiler-overhaul, hence 'last-chance')

Don't much see the point in getting there super-early on Saturday-morn', only to find it won't arrive, till, say 5 or 6 in the late-afternoon.

If anyone here (coz I know we have some railway-buffs), has ANY inside info' as to it's arrival time (Hi G.T.71 :lol:), I'd be SO grateful !!!!!!!

Am certain that there are a few on here who've visited the M.N.R in prev' years & may/might suggest some arrival-times & viewing spots.

Lastly, here's a shot I took, on Dereham's own platform, during my (so far), first & only visit.... Deserted, which I doubt it'll be when 60009 arrives

Hornchurch

Re: Where is THE Best Place to Be - MNR - Union Of South Afr

Postby supergt1971 » 15 Aug 2019, 21:49

Hi HC,im off work ill at present so i have no info. regarding timings etc,if it's going through Ely have you thought about Shippea Hill? That's a quiet station if you want to catch it on the move.
supergt1971

Postby Hornchurch » 16 Aug 2019, 16:38

supergt1971 wrote:
Hi HC,im off work ill at present so i have no info. regarding timings etc,if it's going through Ely have you thought about Shippea Hill?

That's a quiet station if you want to catch it on the move.

'

Hi GT, sorry to hear you're not well & at your railway post, as usual - (swift recovery, etc mate)

Glad you caught the thread, as I figured that "if" anyone here knew, it would be you.

Shippea Hill WOULD be a good suggestion "if" it stages thru Ely, but I'm not too sure where it is appearing from, yet.

My fear is, driving down Mildenhall way (Fens, etc), only to find that I've either "missed the boat" or, marooned in 'BumF**kNowhere' :lol:

Typical of MY recent luck, it'll be a dash of both.

Figure that I should (if it appears), loiter around the Dereham-Wymondham corridor - There is ONE spot I know of, a railway embankment.

Of course, a LOT depands on the weather too - plus - My father has just walked-in telling me there's a beer-festival, locally, that weekend.

Hmmmmm, Guzzle beer & get taxied there & back, OR, attend this beautiful engine's possible last appearance in Norfolk.

Gotta be the latter, as beer can be consumed often, at establishments with a roof.

Seeing as I only got back into railway stuff circa 2016 (after many, many decades layoff), my knowledge is scant, hence the thread.

I know I missed the A.4 called "Bittern" just a few years ago, at Peterborough & I woulda traveled for that, yet THIS is nearer still.

Gotta hope the weather holds out, plus, I chance my luck as to "where" best to catch it, without colossal crowds.

From a photography point of view (as an aviation enthusiast), I know I like to get a foliage-green backdrop, so, away from the station.

If I take the car & get it wrong, it won't be quite so bad "if" I'm just within a five-mile-radius, to make corrections, to intercept it.

J, if you DO return prior to next weekend, please DO either throw out ANY info' you find or come across, or, send me a P.M. please

Best wishes, H.C.

Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 16 Aug 2019, 19:06

Hi HC, if you google 'railwayherald.co.uk', there is a bit of info on there that might help.look on Friday 23rd August slot. T
Tresagreen

Return to NOTICEBOARD.