Road Closure & Ex Railway & Road Bridge Closed

Post here news and information about local events - Pub, Club, Society, Competitions, Exhibitions, etc. From around the local King's Lynn, Hunstanton, Wisbech, Downham areas. Also more general national information and money saving tips are welcome.

WHERE IN THE WORLD DO YOU LIVE? Get yourself placed on the map.

Road Closure & Ex Railway & Road Bridge Closed

Postby Hornchurch » 26 Apr 2021, 19:50

'

As this IS Geographical, current & is NOT 'Historical' I hope I've landed this in the right section ?

(As in, I'd expect to find this kinda thing ON a 'Noticeboard' - Alas, internet is not showing any info')

Near Knight's Hill are the villages of both Roydon & Congham.

Both are connected by a long, long lane - At the King's Lynn end, is a BRIDGE

Both this BRIDGE and the long, long road-lane itself are closed too (at the Lynn-end)

Anyone know as to WHAT is going-on there or what has caused this closure ?

There are heaps of 'Aggregate' on both sides of the bridge, plus some wooden-cladding

I see no (apparent) notices, nor K.L.W.N. notification, so, I figured that someone on this board might have an idea ?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1855119

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1855106

I'll post a link (above), to the 'Geograph' pictures of both location & bridge in question...so folks know as to which I'm referring to

P.S ; there is a map at the base of each link, showing it's proximity to King's Lynn

Hornchurch

Re: Road Closure & Ex Railway & Road Bridge Closed

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Apr 2021, 13:36

Work is for infill of old railway bridge, St Andrews Lane. 19-30 April
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 03 May 2021, 02:56

Tresagreen wrote:

Work is for infill of old railway bridge, St Andrews Lane. 19-30 April

'

Many thanks for that info' Tresa', it's very much appreciated.

Crafty blighters went home 'early' (each night, I'm told :lol: ), looks like a "cushy-number" from what I've been told.

I saw that the road (lane), is now back open & according to your dates (again, I'm told), opened a day-early.

I did see the bridge this eve', about 90-mins before sunset - Looks like "heaped up" Gravel beside the bridge, each end.

From what I can gather, no more vehicles, horses, ponies, or human-beings will ever go underneath it's spans again - shame :( (foreseeable future)

Tres' ; As you obviously found-out the details, was the project instructed by the local district council, or, the 'Highways Agency' ?

Without knowing (or seeing up-close), the "Infill" seems like a cheap way out.

I thought (from memory alone), that the 'Geograph' pix ('net), show the bridge has "Girders" as in R.S.J type - (maybe even Iron ?)

My folks inform me, that back in the early-mid 1990's, there WAS a fallen concrete beam that had a smart '1921' etched into the concrete plinth

In fact, my Father took me to see it (again, mid-90's), but I recall around it was covered in nettles & other stone-detritis

Shame there are (no known ?), photographs of it, in use, during it's M&GN railway heyday, or the land nearby - (I mean 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, 1950's)

"If" anyone knows of any, please DO shout & holler - I'd love to see them, if so.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/plan-to-demolish-and-infill-hundreds-of-unused-rail-bridges-and-tunnels-must-be-stopped-dft-told-06-01-2021/

POST EDIT ; About 20-mins after I signed-out, I stumbled across this.... above - I'll presume it's amongst those mentioned ?

Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 03 May 2021, 08:38

Norfolk County Council Highways Dept, but you have to dig REALLY deep to find the info.
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 08 May 2021, 17:02

Tresagreen wrote:
Norfolk County Council Highways Dept, but you have to dig REALLY deep to find the info.

'

Hi Tres'

I couldn't find a thing, EXCEPT THIS.... Rather "Telling" Article - (I'd say "worrying")

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/plan-to-demolish-and-infill-hundreds-of-unused-rail-bridges-and-tunnels-must-be-stopped-dft-told-06-01-2021/

"IF" this li'l snippet is anything to go by, then it seems 'they' were as keen as mustard

"According to the HRE Group – an alliance of engineers, active travel campaigners and greenway developers"

" – 135 structures are currently at risk of demolition - or infilling - by Highways England"

Seems like it's already "too late" for the M&GN bridge that I'd highlighted.

Hornchurch

Postby EWW » 08 May 2021, 17:33

Its just not done to change other posters text Mr Hornchurch. If Ms Green wanted it that size she would have posted it that size.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Return to NOTICEBOARD.