The Swimmer |Trouble in Paradise - KL Arts Centre June 6

Meeting place.

The Swimmer |Trouble in Paradise - KL Arts Centre June 6

Postby Kit Lewis » 20 May 2013, 21:04

Trouble in Paradise
A talk at Kings Lynn Arts Centre, exploring the other side of the American Dream, including Gay and Lesbian issues, will include a screening of the 1968 cult classic The Swimmer, starring Burt Lancaster.

The talk will be examining how themes such as alternative sexuality, loss of innocence and dissatisfaction with the 'American Way' were hinted at and made explicit in mainstream movies of the 1950s and 1960s.

The Swimmer
In a wealthy New York suburb, Ned Merrill (Burt Lancaster) appears unexpectedly in the back yard of one of his friends. After swimming in their pool, Ned observes that the addition of a new swimming pool in another neighbour's yard means he can literally swim home. As he moves from pool to pool, each reveals another chapter of a story that begins in whimsy and ends in dystopian dread.

And if all that sounds a bit heavy....
Burt Lancaster spends most of the movie in swimming trunks - what's not to like?

When: Thursday June 6
Where: The Red Barn, King’s Lynn Arts Centre.
Doors open 7.00pm for a 7.30pm start.
Tickets are £6.50 in advance (£7.50 on the door) from King’s Lynn Arts Centre on 01553 764864.

For more information, visit CULTure Babylon at: http://culturebabylon.wordpress.com/events/trouble-in-paradise-the-dark-side-of-the-american-dream-the-swimmer/
Kit Lewis

Re: The Swimmer |Trouble in Paradise - KL Arts Centre June 6

Postby EWW » 20 May 2013, 21:11

As a Burt Lancaster fan I saw this when it was first released. Did not rate it myself though.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Kit Lewis » 20 May 2013, 22:13

Well, more than 30 years on, you might appreciate it more now :)

Kit Lewis
Kit Lewis

Postby EWW » 20 May 2013, 22:25

I did see it again on TV a few years ago but cannot say it changed my mind much.

I am sure it will get a mixed revue when shown at the centre as all films do. Would
still like you to have a sell out though.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Kit Lewis » 24 May 2013, 19:19

Thanks...
The talk will be about a lot of other interesting films too, including The Haunting, The Children's Hour and The Innocents...

Regards

Kit Lewis
Kit Lewis

Return to Gay / Lesbian.