We are losing a safe byway to The Point - King's Lynn

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

We are losing a safe byway to The Point - King's Lynn

Postby KLynn-Friend » 21 Feb 2016, 18:50

Walking my dog I recently saw a public notice on a gate which said my Public Right Of Way might be affected. A telephone call to the County Council found that the rights of the people of King’s Lynn have once again been changed without proper consultation.
I refer to the moving of the safe public byway leading to the much enjoyed location known locally as The Point.
Apparently in February 2015 the Secretary of State granted the ‘Stopping up’ of the current route along the top of the sea bank and the building of a new route along the river’s edge.
The County Council says that byways only need to be constructed to allow vehicles of a 4x4 type. It has already been partially built and when there is a normal high tide it is under water in many parts. This may happen only once or twice a month but because of its construction it takes a week for it to dry out before it could take any vehicle. It is usually covered in rubbish left by the tide. There is no barrier or safety strip, and no room to make passing places, (Fancy reversing nearly quarter of a mile if you met a vehicle coming the other way?). How long before somebody ends up driving into the river? Fancy a stroll with your family, would you want to walk children in such a risky place?

Why we were not informed of the move? We were, a Public Notice was posted in the Lynn News but if you saw it you probably did not register what it was referring to. Of course you might have noticed it the other publication, it has to be posted in, the ‘London Gazette’. How about the Public Notice the land owner has to display for 28 days either end of the byway section to be moved? Well I walk my dog nearly every day on this pleasant byway and I never saw such a notice but as it’s the responsibility of the land owner to display it, is it any wonder I never saw it?

What can we do now? Complain!
Write to The Rt. Hon Patrick McLoughlin MP, Secretary of State for Transport, Department for Transport, Great Minster House, 33 Horseferry Road, London. SW1P 4DR.
Remember it took a public appeal to the Secretary of State for Transport in 1987 to get this byway in the first place.
How about writing to our local MP Henry Bellingham perhaps he could raise this in Parliament and may be get it stopped.
This is how his web site asks you to contact him.
Henry is more than happy to deal with casework, queries or difficulties that might arise as a result of any dealings with local bodies or organisations. So, if you think you are getting less than a fair deal, or have any other points to put to Henry, then please do not hesitate to contact him.
You can contact Henry in one of the following ways:
email bellinghamh@parliament.uk - write to Henry Bellingham MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA Please do write if you have any topics you would like to take up with me, alternatively, you can contact the King's Lynn Office on 01553 692 076
KLynn-Friend

Re: We are losing a safe byway to The Point - King's Lynn

Postby EWW » 21 Feb 2016, 18:57

Good post but please be awhere that we have a NO politics clause on the forum. This was asked for by the members themselves.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby MJR » 29 Feb 2016, 19:29

I know it's on the borderline but the above doesn't seem especially political yet - it just seems a rather strange change of route, done with minimal notice. I'm sure lots of us of all political colours have enjoyed a walk along there.
MJR

Postby anne » 14 Mar 2016, 00:13

The road down to the end of the Point has always been a really awful road.iwas a regular nursing visitor many years ago now to a lady that lived down the road more or less at the end of the Point. It used to take me 15 minutes in good weather ,when the "road" was dry,I couldn't get home one night after a really high tide cut me off from the road that joined,so any improvements down there would be a real improvement.It was a really lovely area at the end of the point,
anne

Return to Rant!