TUESDAY MARKET

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

TUESDAY MARKET

Postby EWW » 28 Sep 2012, 10:04

I knew it was on the cards because of the lack of stalls, but it will be
a sad loss of a tradition that goes back nearly a thousand years when
the market cease being. What can this major overhaul of the TMP be
that cannot accommodate a few stalls while the work is being carried out?

You only have to read Dr P. Richards book on the first 1000 years of
the history of King's Lynn to see how important the markets were.
A tradition that should carry on.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Re: TUESDAY MARKET

Postby SteveC » 28 Sep 2012, 10:54

It is more lucrative to have car parking and relatively less hassle than Market Stalls. The Test the Market initiative to encourage new stall holders and the offer of giving existing stall holders one week free each month are all token gestures in my opinion, it gets the BCKLWN out of the situation and suggestion that the public will put forward that they did little to help the stall holders.

Its rather like the Mart scenario and trying to condense 14 days into 8 days. Why change 100s of years worth of tradition. ( not that I can understand how something this old mentioned in a Charter can be changed anyway )?
SteveC

Postby yvouille » 29 Sep 2012, 21:49

So I won't be able to see the market at least once in my life ? When will the market stops ?
In souls nobly born, valour does not depend upon age. http://www.flickr.com/photos/yvouillerb/
yvouille

Postby thaberland » 29 Sep 2012, 22:20

I was shocked how small it is now, I think the pound shops mostly killed it :roll:
thaberland

Postby anniethenannie » 01 Oct 2012, 01:09

When I was home it had 3 stalls and a fish truck selling wet fish, a lady there had a stall selling used stuff, not much there at all, very sad for me to see this. Fakenham has a great mkt so does Swaffham. :smt008
anniethenannie

Postby PER » 02 Oct 2012, 14:06

Didn't the council announce recently they wanted to pedestrianise part of it and put out lots of tables and chairs to encourage a 'cafe culture' on the market place? Is that the 'work' they're planning to do?

Fakenham and Swaffham markets are great but they are in the centre of the town, and they have the auctions too. I agree with the fruit and veg man who's leaving the Tuesday market (according to the Lynn News) that all those stalls in the pedestrian bit of the town centre should be on the market place including the roundabout, cash for gold, fruit stall, flower stall, etc. etc. and all the special promotion things like Sky, the Army etc. People need an incentive to go to the market place. The area around Beales has become the unofficial town centre.
PER

Postby bill » 02 Oct 2012, 18:46

i agree with above,plus all those that come from other coutries to sell along broad street,french markets etc,
billJ
bill

Return to Rant!