Proposed Ebb's field take-away

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

Proposed Ebb's field take-away

Postby supergt1971 » 13 Aug 2012, 17:50

I noticed today when i arrived at work that there has been a planning application made to build a take away and conveniance store on the COWA owned Ebb's field.I'm just wondering how long it will be before the walks will be covered with those polystyrene boxes that you see blowing about and how this nice peaceful area will cope with both the shop and take away proposing a 11.30 pm closure time.
supergt1971

Re: Proposed Ebb's field take-away

Postby speedygonzalez » 14 Aug 2012, 07:37

I should have thought it would have been a bit lethal that close to the crossing and speaking as a pedestrian and a cyclist that bit is bad enough to cross anyhow.
speedygonzalez

Postby supergt1971 » 14 Aug 2012, 09:19

yes i agree the proposed access road is 50m from the crossing and in the plans it shows how HGVs would access the site with either drive in or reverse in-now that WILL create problems trying to reverse in with traffic backed up behind.By the looks of it the new access is about 10m from the end of that little bit of cycle track on the signalbox side.
supergt1971

Postby MJR » 14 Aug 2012, 19:41

The transport assessment says service vehicles can enter and exit in forwards gear.

However, it also seems to suggest the new junction can only get the visibility splays if there are double-yellow lines and it does completely ignore that trains arrive at King's Lynn, as well as depart! In fact, I'm not sure the transport assessment has been checked properly - I particularly like the reference to the nearby town of "Holbench" ;-)

Nice to see some cycle parking on the plan from the outset. Be better under cover, though.
MJR

Postby supergt1971 » 15 Aug 2012, 12:31

I'm just wondering how much Network rail's property bod really looked into this as with proposing the planting of trees in the corner closest to the crossing i can't see how this won't affect the sighting of traffic from the signalbox after all the trees WILL grow and also the proximity of the overhead lines when they are currently trying to trim back vegetation that could have effects on OHL equipment.As for the store being open so late and the likelyhood this store will sell alcohol i'm thinking some people will end up in the walks late at night consuming their purchases with re-supply so close.
supergt1971

Postby MJR » 15 Aug 2012, 17:36

Yeah, it's odd that the only comments I can see from Network Rail is a letter that says "no further observations". So I wonder what their other observations are, or if they've got confused on it or what. I've asked the planning officer about that.

Oh - here's a link http://online.west-norfolk.gov.uk/onlin ... 6ORIV05900

I share your fears about drinking in the Walks, but I fear that you can't use the demon drink to stop this development. I suspect the argument put forward now will be that alcohol-related disturbances are a licensing matter, not a planning matter, so that should not prevent planning permission for two shops by itself. Then, when the shopkeeper applies for an off-sales licence (or whatever the modern equivalent is), we'll get told that fear of disturbance is not evidence of how the new licensee will conduct themselves, or that it's not up to the licensee to stop people drinking inappropriately, so that should not prevent a licence being issued - unless anyone knows of other similar parkside off-licences being refused or revoked due to disturbances?
MJR

Postby supergt1971 » 17 Aug 2012, 08:34

Well the NR person concerned has been advised and by the looks of it other issues have been raised.As for this shop getting the go ahead i'm just wondering if the fact that there is another store and take-away a quarter of a mile away and in this town of excess supermarkets and late/24 hr stores is it needed?I think the old "it's for the students" is wearing a bit thin.
supergt1971

Postby MJR » 17 Aug 2012, 12:20

Well done on nudging NR. I'm surprised they hold a convenant. That'll cut the number of parking spaces...

There's a "SEQUENTIAL TEST OF PROPOSED CONVENIENCE STORE" which probably says that the shop is still needed despite all the other supermarkets and minimarkets, but it's a docx and I don't have time to mess about converting that right now. Also, I've never managed to argue against a development on the grounds of market saturation yet! It might be different in King's Lynn where we've seen a few high-end retailers replaced by the less ethical pile-em-high ones because margins are now so tight here because there's lots of competition between shops for customers but relatively weak competition between landlords for tenant shops (as I understand it, most of the town centre is owned by a few landlords?)
MJR

Return to Rant!