CRANES

Looking for old work colleagues, or what is going on with the old firm now? Contact your work mates, past and present.

Re: CRANES

Postby EWW » 17 Jul 2014, 20:11

Couple of pictures given to me today of my crane on Hillington Sq.

Me in the cab.

Our third crane laid out waiting for us to erect it.

Mann Egertons. Looking for Delbert having a crafty drag round the back :-D

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby incony » 15 Aug 2015, 15:31

was very interesting EWW, seeing the pics of Hillington Square and the crane you used.. a great credit to you. this week i was working on testing the lift shaft pad eyes - proof load test, on the two shafts of the refurbisment of Hillington Square, closest to Millfleet. ( Valentine House as was, now Millfleet Court ) Is special to find those pics like yours, taken first hand... even though there are a lot more of the construction - and demolition of the houses before Hillington Square came into being , and the millfleet itself.. here on the forums and on the web.

to read stories about folks who worked on the build, just great stuff.

i like to think that those who will use those lifts, will never know or see, the bits i worked on, hidden above their heads at the top of the shafts.. there are seven eyes in each shaft, across three beams - each eye good to take 2t

But i do hope that that folks who will be involved in the future development of Hillington Square, maybe many years hence, when you, and i are long gone, EWW, can do as i did today.. and see the personal history the site has, and add their own.. as you and i do.

sitting in the discarded rubbish outside was the old building sign "Valentine House"

:)
incony

Postby EWW » 12 May 2019, 14:37

This crane was not one I worked on but was being erected at the same time as I erected mine on the first tesco's site
in High street. The builders for this crane was Bush Builders and is on what became Argos. You can see the guys
erecting the back jib. A gas main bust under the crane and flames were coming out from all the cracks in the road.
It took a while before the gas board could turn it off.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Previous

Return to Work