St EDMUNDS INFANTS SCHOOL

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

St EDMUNDS INFANTS SCHOOL

Postby rospaul » 16 Feb 2008, 20:05

Miss Marjorie Oliver (my wifes late aunt) on her retirement as the first Headmistress of St Edmunds Infants School abt 1968.
Can anyone recognise themselves in this photograph after almost forty years ??

Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Re: St EDMUNDS INFANTS SCHOOL

Postby Picklesmagoo » 18 Feb 2008, 11:33

I recognise myself on this picture,I'm the first left 3 heads up with eyes closed (typical!)I must have started there in 1968 but can remember Miss Oliver being my headmistress for some time after that.My name was Karen Twite.

Thanks for the memory!!
Picklesmagoo

Postby teddybear1959 » 18 Feb 2008, 11:59

Can you put any more names to the picture? It is always brilliant to put names on old group photographs.

Teddy
:wink:
teddybear1959

Postby rospaul » 18 Feb 2008, 12:14

Thanks for the information about the date Karen, my wife wasn't sure and had a guess at 68, maybe other ex pupils can help. :smt006
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby Picklesmagoo » 20 Feb 2008, 16:45

Unfortunately I can't recognise anyone else which is surprising as I had cousins there at the same time.

I remember Miss Kent who was my first teacher there,she used to undo her hair bun for us some days,she had black hair down to her hips!!

Also Miss Greaves? who insisted that I shouldn't be writing with my left hand!!

Happy Days

Sorry can't be more helpful with faces on pic.
Picklesmagoo

Postby old-git » 20 Feb 2008, 21:21

I would have been in the infants about 1962, I don't recognise anyone. Did we spend two years in the infants? I can't remember.
I remember Miss Kent in the first year and I think it was Miss Seaman (not sure) in the second.
I can't remember much of my time there but I do remember us kids used to think it a great honour to be on the hook that held the door open from the playground. It was your job to release the hook and shut the door after all the kids had lined up and marched in after playtime. :)
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Picklesmagoo » 21 Feb 2008, 00:05

That's right,it was Miss Seaman that didn't like the left hand being used.

Also remember the very hip and trendy Mrs Shelton whose husband taught across the way at the junior school.

I think we spent 3 years at the junior school and 4 years at the juniors.
Picklesmagoo

Postby Picklesmagoo » 21 Feb 2008, 00:12

Also just remembered the great honour of being on milk monitor duty and the little 1/4 pint milk bottles with straws that we were all given at morning break with a little plastic mat to protect the desk.

At the end of the day we all had to put our chairs up onto the tables and say a prayer before going home.
Picklesmagoo

Postby rospaul » 21 Feb 2008, 17:03

A few names of Teachers from the early days at St Edmunds Infants,
Margaret Kent, Dorothy Longman, Olive Lanchester, Edith Deans, Mary Seaman, Rose Newby, Monica Clark, Valarie Tucker and Jean Carter the Secretary.
If the wife can think of anymore I will post them later. :smt006
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby EWW » 22 Feb 2008, 10:54

This was the headmasters house at st Eds. I lived there for 7 years (not as headmaster) :D

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Buffy » 13 Dec 2008, 19:08

Just for anyone interested - Mrs Margaret Kent is my mother. I have asked her about the photo taken at Miss Oliver's retirement and wondered whether she could remember any of the children. Unfortunately she can not, but considering how many years she taught at the school and how many children went through her class, I am not surprised. However, she does remember the man in the photo was Frank Barton who was Chairman of the Board of Governers. Mum made the card he is holding and all the staff who had worked with Miss Oliver (past & present) had signed it.

For those children who were in Mum's class, you may remember she had a frieze of elephant pictures around her room that she had made herself. These were to help with learning to count from 1 to 10 - elephant 1 eating a bun, elephant 2 wearing a shoe and so on. When someone had their 5th birthday she had a cardboard cake and would put 5 candles on it. The class would sing "Happy Birthday" and the candles would be blown out by the child in question. On 5th November she would light some sparklers in class (Health & Safety would probably ban these activities nowadays!)

Mum organised all the music activities and concerts and helped organise the Empire Day displays that took place in the playground. I have some old cine film footage of one of these from the early 1960's when the theme was King's Lynn through the ages with the children dressed in costumes.

Each Christmas, Santa would come to the school and have a bag of little gifts for each class and these would be distributed by the teachers to every child. However, does anyone remember the year when thieves broke into the secretary's cupboard and stole all the Christmas presents? There was a happy ending though - the local Police rallied round and not only provided replacement gifts (such as oranges) but also brought Santa to the school in a Panda car complete with blues and twos!

Mum's hair was indeed very long and she wound it into a bun. However, the pins holding it up would often come loose and she would have to rewind the bun quite frequently. This activity amused the class.

Mum is now 86 and still lives in Lynn. She would like me to send her regards to any of her old pupils. :smt006
Buffy

Postby old-git » 14 Dec 2008, 13:37

Say hello to your mum for me Buffy and thank her for giving me a good start. :D
I can't remember much about those early days in the classroom but I do remember the bun and the elephants also once having to wear the shorts of shame to go home in, probably not what your mum called them but that's how I remember them. :-D
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby choks » 14 Dec 2008, 13:49

what did you do wrong OG

shorts of shame ....!!!!!
Summers comming...
choks

Postby EWW » 14 Dec 2008, 13:52

I can guess :roll: :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby choks » 14 Dec 2008, 13:53

oh no .........
:smt005
Summers comming...
choks

Next

Return to School