King's Lynn High School For Girls

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

King's Lynn High School For Girls

Postby Jools » 21 Jan 2008, 13:03

Hi

I have been registered on this site for awhile as I am researching my family tree - mother is a Northender (Gant) - but this is my first posting.

I attended King's Lyn High School for Girls between the years of 1964 and 1969. I have searched the internet and cannot find a website or anything relating to my old school. I have even rung Springwood which they amalgamated with in the 70's but got nowhere.

I used to have a couple of the long photos which were taken at schools in those days and unfortunately when my mother moved house a box of my mementos from school got thrown away including these photos. I have been trying to find out where all the old High School archive stuff has gone and if not who used to take these photos and if I could get copies. From what I can remember I think they were taken in my 2nd and 4th year which would be 1966 and 1968.

Would be really grateful if anyone has any news about the old High School when it was at King Street.

Funnily enough my new husband lodged in the old High School in a rented flat and when I visited him I ended up staying in my old Art Room which was very strange!!!!
Jools

Postby EWW » 21 Jan 2008, 13:43

Hello Jools. I knew a Bob Gant years ago, any relation?
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Jools » 21 Jan 2008, 17:51

Hi

My mum's Uncle was called Bob Gant and lived at Raleigh Road with his wife Mary. Undortunately he died in I think 1988. Is it the same one? He had two boys Richard and Paul.
Jools

Postby EWW » 21 Jan 2008, 18:22

Same one Jools I lived at number 2 Raleigh (I know Ted I've lived eveywhere :D )
Bob used to be a pack man, or tally man as some call
them. He used to have a cuppa at my mums house on
queen mary rd on saturdays :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby delbert » 21 Jan 2008, 20:01

he also worked for germains paper division on the north lynn industrial estate when i was there ,knew him well :)
"go placidly amid the noise and haste"
delbert

Postby old-git » 21 Jan 2008, 21:27

Hi Jools :D
I hope some pics of the High school turn up one day. The closest I have is this pic of two of the girls in uniform outside Woolworths in the early 60's.

I don't know if you have found them whilst browsing but the are a couple of pics of the High school as it appeared in the film Silver Fleet, here - http://www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewt ... 2429#12429
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Jools » 21 Jan 2008, 21:58

Thank you all so much for your help. This is such a friendly forum.

I know Uncle Bob had a number of jobs - I think he was selling light bulbs for his last job. He was a lovely man and always had a joke to tell you. My Dad was dying of cancer and Bob used to come round and cheer him up and we were so shocked when Bob suddenly died a year before my dad. We really miss him.

Thank you for the pic of the High School girls - that uniform still fills me with dread, especially those awful green berets!!!!

It would just be interesting to know where all the archives from the old High School have gone. Or what firm used to take those photos and if they still have negatives etc.

Thanks again everyone.
Jools

Postby littleoldboy » 22 Jan 2008, 00:32

Hello Jools,

My three sisters all went to the High School....bit older than you...youngest, Heather Manning would have been there from 1961 to 1966.

There is a school photo in Bob Booth's book on Lynn in the 1950s/60s. I think they were again a bit earlier than your dates, but if you contact Bob (aka tricky sam) he may be able to tell you where he got original from and who was the photographer

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby Jools » 22 Jan 2008, 09:58

Thank you I have pm'd Bob to see if he knows anything.

I think there was a firm that used to go around all the schools taking these long photos but canot find out who they were. I can remember a tv programme about this firm quite a long time ago but at that time did not take a note of the name.

Perhaps one of your sisters have one with the name on the back.

They used to take ages to take and I remember one time a member of the 6th form (who always stood at the back) was on the left hand side of the pic as you looked at it and as the photo was taken she ran to the right hand side and stood on the end and appeared on the photo twice. When the photo came out it was ages before the staff realised what she had done and by then they could not expel her because she had taken her exams and was about to leave anyway.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Jools

Postby choks » 22 Jan 2008, 10:10

He He He ......Nice one .... :wink:

anything to fool the ''teachers'' eh!
Summers comming...
choks

KLHS photos

Postby sunshine » 24 Jan 2008, 18:59

Well now, I am looking at the April 1966 photo and of the September 1964 to July 1969/71 vintage I can see a "Julie" standing between Pat Rye and Jane Reynolds and a "Julie" standing between Karen Young(?) and Ann Bird but there may be a Jools I have missed-perhaps one of the many Judiths!
Anyway the photo was taken by Panora of 67 Clerkenwell Road, London EC1 and the ref no on it is 12979
Somewhere in the attic I have a later one from when we were up at Springwood and also a couple of old school mags and some prefect photos from June 1971 so if anyone is starting an archive I will rummage them out.We certainly seem to have been neglected in the books about the town considering we were quite unmissable in all our green.
Greetings to any old KLHS who recognise the nickname.
sunshine

Postby old-git » 24 Jan 2008, 21:12

Hi sunshine :D
You have some High school pics? That's great 8)
If you don't mind sharing them and posting them here for all to appreciate please do. If you need any help I and others here will be glad to assist you.

8)
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby sunshine » 24 Jan 2008, 22:10

The most valuable assistance would be to get up the ladder into the attic! :lol: I will put the long photo I have to flatten out for a while before I try to scan it and then see what I can do.
sunshine

Postby thaberland » 24 Jan 2008, 23:15

THAT WOULD BE SO COOL, I USE TO HAVE A LONG ONE OF GAYWOOD PARK , WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT TODAY, :D
IT IS SO NEAT TO SEE ALL THE UINFORMS YOU DON'T SEE THAT MUCH OVER HERE I REMEMBER BEING SO PROUD WHEN WE ALL GOT TOGETHER. :D
thaberland

Re: King's Lynn High School For Girls

Postby Jools » 10 Feb 2008, 23:53

Hi Sunshine

I am racking my brains as to who you might be cos Sunshine rings a bell and it is driving me mad.

I was Julie Kramarchuk and would definitely be on the photo because Pat Rye was in my form and also Karen Young was one of my best friends. Just had a thoght are you Rosemary Morris that was? Sorry for the late reply but I have not been on here for a couple of weeks because of family committments.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jools
Jools

Next

Return to School