st.margarets school

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

St Margarets School

Postby Beauts » 10 Apr 2006, 20:41

Hi Everyone
i'm a new member but have spent sometime reading through all the previuos messages, great stories and photo's especially the before and after, also i've enjoyed learning more about the Northend families.
Help! Has anyone got old photos of St Margarets school on the fleet. I use to go there in the 60's and was literally one of the last pupils to leave the school as the during the school holidays when it shut for good myself and 4-5 other kids spent the holidays carrying furnature and books from the old school to the 'New' Whitefriars, so we were also the first kids in that school also.
I would like a photo of the school from the 60's but earlier ones would be appreciated also. Also what books on Lynn would any of you recommend as 'good buys' I have only one at the minute called Kings Lynn as it was by Michael Winton, which i think is really good.
Cheers for now :lol:
Beauts

Postby polly » 10 Apr 2006, 21:34

Hi Beauts
:smt118
No act of kindness is ever wasted
polly

Postby delbert » 10 Apr 2006, 21:41

hi Beauts
glad to see a new member
is that an aussie handle ???
welcome :-D
"go placidly amid the noise and haste"
delbert

thanks for the welcome

Postby Beauts » 10 Apr 2006, 23:42

Hi to Polly & delbert
No its not a aussie handle,
its what my gran use to call me when i was a young boy. she use to always greet me by saying ' hows grans beauts?' everytime i saw her.
:lol:
Beauts

Postby delbert » 11 Apr 2006, 14:59

hi beauts (ooooow thats so sweet !!)
theres a pic of the mill fleet that cc put on a while ago that shows the school area looks kinda quite but still has wooden fence round it (can remember that) ,pic is a large area so cant be viewed too big .

:D
delbert

Postby cazzi » 12 Apr 2006, 15:09

Hi Beauts

Welcome from one new member to another!

Michael Winton did another book called Later Lynn which goes from 1945 - 1969.It has some great pictures, including one of my family.

There is also King's Lynn, Memories of the 50's & 60's and Pictorial King's Lynn Past & Present - both by Vera Witt; King's Lynn Then & Now - Portrait of a Town by Walter Blaney and Simon Massen; and Memories of South Lynn, which may only be of interest if you grew up there, as I did.
Ebay often has Lynn guide books from the 50's - 70's, which have some good pictures, at bargain prices.
As you may have guessed I love old photos!!

I hope you can get something you find interesting. Ottakers is usually a good place to start. Waterstones does not seem to have local books any more.

Best of luck looking!
cazzi

Postby Beauts » 12 Apr 2006, 21:48

Thanks Delbert for the pics

Hi Cazzie
I've got a few few books out of the Lynn libaray, a couple of the ones you mentioned and they have some great photos of Lynn (4 in total) I will also look for the other ones you have mentioned.
I'e really got hooked on looking at the history now after seeing everyones postings and look forward to finding out more.
cheers
making todays events
our future memories
Beauts

Postby cazzi » 13 Apr 2006, 12:59

Beauts

Check out francisfrith.com - forgot to mention that yesterday! I've got a Lynn book and also the Norfolk Coast one, which has loads of pics of Hunstanton etc where we used to spend all our holidays and weekends as kids - still do now when we get the chance :boat
cazzi

Postby CC » 13 Apr 2006, 16:48

Hi Beauts and welcome!
pleased to have another maggot on the :smt120 Forum . I was there a few years before you in the days of Bill Pack (Headmaster) and ended my days as Headboy no less. :roll: I must have some pics about somewhere, I'll have a hunt around. A very good book to look out for certainly of Northend in Fishers End by the late Frank Castleton another to look out for is simply called Northenders. Anyway! enjoy our mardlin and do you keep on atroshin but don't take us too seriously....well certaily not that choks ...he is weird man weird!
CC
:wink:
do yew keep on atroshin boy!
CC

Postby delbert » 13 Apr 2006, 17:28

ooh cc
bin holdin out on us ay,you bin sitin on them pics!!
comon lets be seein em he!he! :lol:
delbert

Postby old-git » 13 Apr 2006, 18:40

Hi Beauts, :D
What year did St Mgs close? I can remember the Maggots comming to St Eds when I was in the junior.

I think this photo of the school is pretty unique, don't know the date but I feel it must have been before the library was built.

About a year ago or so.

1886 map, reminder.

Pre 1937, anyone get it closer?
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Beauts » 17 Apr 2006, 19:53

Hi CC
yea its along time since i was called a maggot, did you use to fight with the jammies?
I remember one day strolling late out of the school and when i got to the school fence (was qute high and couldn't see through it) i was confronted with a duffle bag on the end of my nose, blood everywhere!!! We all had them type of bags and they use to have the cords which use to bust off from the bottom, so they could be twirled around your head for launching at the enermy.
Mr Packer was the Head Master and i saw him years later at the little school in Gayton.
The school shut around 1969/70 i can't quite remember the date.

Hi Old-git Great photo's thanks ever so much, If CC has some it would be great to see these also.
Cheers everyone
:D :D
making todays events
our future memories
Beauts

Postby CC » 18 Apr 2006, 08:40

Hi Beauts,
fights with the jampots! Me? in All Saints Churchyard? Not me Sir! perish the thought!!! great time mate!.
I have searched, can only find this pic but can only name Bill Pack (Head). I believe he was at Gayton school before he retired, I met up with him again at his retirement. A really good, genuine, careing chap.
I believe it was taken at a presentation of Krinks prizegiving, do you remember that? Basically, cash awards were given for achievements in every "discipline" for each year. William Krinks? I believe was a benefactor in some way and bequeathed funds for this purpose, no idea what happened to the fund when the school closed though! So around 1960 when I was there, each award was worth about 5/-, say 25p in todays money but was worth loads more then.
CC
CC

Krinks Prizes

Postby Beauts » 18 Apr 2006, 17:09

Hi CC
Do i remember the prize giving? it was the highlight of the year. It use to give us all a great boost and they tried hard to share out the prizes were possible.
Here's a photo of the last prize giving day ever after 112 years!!!??

Taken by the Lynn News and the end of the term the school shut its gates for the last time, such a sad time for the lads who went there as i never ever heard a bad word said about it.
Can you remember the Television room with the derelect classroom next door? they use to tell us we couldn't make any noise in fear the ceiling would fall down.
what about playing knockem and topem with the cigarette cards in the playground....did you play this.

:D :D Image
making todays events
our future memories
Beauts

Postby CC » 18 Apr 2006, 17:35

Beaut,
just found some more info about old Krinks in Hillen's.
Henry Krinks of Congleton, Cheshire. Endowed the St margarets Church of England Elementary School (of which he was master from 1851-1857) with £500 as a prize fund: invested with the Official Trustees for Charitable Funds (1887)
And there was me calling him William!...no wonder he didn't answer.
:(
CC
CC

Next

Return to School