Aston Villa vs. King's Lynn, 1906

Talk all sports.

Aston Villa vs. King's Lynn, 1906

Postby pspooner » 05 Sep 2012, 04:44

Hello,
There doesn't seem to be a discussion of the FA Cup match of Aston Villa and Lynn in 1906. The score was 11-0, with Lynn, sadly, not being on the winning side. Can anyone supply who were the players for Lynn? I did find the team members for AV but, well, who cares?!! Any other information, I'm sure, would be good to have recorded in this forum. Such an historic moment in Lynn sports' history, let's record what everyone knows!
Thank you,
Pam Spooner (formerly of Gaywood Rd, but now living in Texas)
pspooner

Re: Aston Villa vs. King's Lynn, 1906

Postby EWW » 05 Sep 2012, 09:21

When I next visit the library I will through the 1906 local papers and hopefully find something.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby pspooner » 29 Jul 2017, 22:57

FINALLY, I have answered my own question. With the aid of Find My Past, specifically in the database of British Newspapers, the London Daily News for 13 January, 1906, gives the roster for King's Lynn, including my great uncle Ernie Gay who must have had a terrible day as the goalkeeper! I will attempt to attach screen shots of 3 articles. Lynn, being 99% sure they would lose the match, used what 'advantage' they had and sold the rights as the home team for 400 pounds so, although they were the first team drawn which gave them the right to play the match in Lynn, it was played in Birmingham. There was some criticism in the press regarding this permissible scheme, with one writer saying that sport was becoming too focused on the money angle (yes, this was 1906!). I feel that the first photo in the 'Sport' section of the Forum, - in the Lynn Football Club Part 1 section - with the 1907-08 team pictured with their fabulous trophies - likely has at least some of the same players as those in this 1906 roster. Joe Dines has already been identified in that photo.

E. Gay
F. Taylor
W. Macdonald
W. Rowe
J. Dines
J. Chamberlain
W. Bannister
S. Stevens
G.H. Martin
G. Benefer
A. Ransome

pspooner

Postby pspooner » 29 Jul 2017, 23:50

And to fully document that roster that includes the players' initials, here it is from the London Daily News, 13 January 1906

pspooner

Return to Sport.